Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which head gaskets are best?

Hi,

i'd like to ask you boosted guys what head gasket manufacturer is most recommended.

For now i have so called "Evergreen" head gaskets from an ebay-kit laying around, but one search for "Evergreen" on google already tells me more about the quality of those than i need.

So, i'm wondering. For now i'm considering OEM head gaskets, or those from topline or toga.

Tell me what you made your best experiences with.

Yeah those ebay gaskets suck hard core, I've heard of people blowing them left and right, why dont you send them to me as I want to use them for templates on something. I'll give you $15 for both shipped. You should always use Felpro or Mazda, got to pay to play.

Is this what they look like http://mizumoauto.com/ebay/performan...015_image4.jpg
    Last edited by mac1; September 22, 2010, 12:37 PM.
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I have the mizumo auto headgaskets I don't see a problem with them. They are multy layered steel headgaskets just like stock and on the first rebuild I boosted 10 psi on them with a shitty tune that detonated and the headgaskets never blew.
      mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
      Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

i know they sell copper headgasket's but i dont feel like searching. that what i plan on using for my rebuild
        black 94 probe gt-on 5lbs boost - t3/t4 50trim dynoed at 210hp & 194 tq on fmu

Comment

You def want to use multi layered steel headgaskets. They can take TONS of abuse!
          mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
          Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

I've got the El Cheapo head gaskets and have no issues with them. I think they were from Eristics or smth as i cant remember it any better but they came as a kit, minus the head bolts.. I'd use OEM for a serious build and cheapos for any other motor repair i swap in.
            Rio Red 94PGT, Turbo T360trim,T3T4E 50 trim,T3T4E57 trim Parted out!
            1998 Volvo S70, The Brick
            1999 Red Volvo S70 T5 The Red Devil, modded
            1998 Black V70R AWD, The Waggo with mods

Comment

one that doesnt leak.....

I'd say OEM
              93 Probe GT
              Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

Dead serious here: Prolly the only really reliable thing gasket wise to be purchased from ebay for the KL is the headgaskets. Eristic/evergreen headgaskets are perfectly fine! The rest of the gaskets suck but they somehow got the most important gasket right.
                These are all that I have ever run. Well over a dozen motors i've assembled I have used the ebay head gaskets. I have not had a single headgasket failure. This includes my turbo ZE on 5 psi and my roomates (at the time) turbo ZE running 10-12+ psi.

One more time
                EBAY HEADGASKETS ARE FINE!!!
                Last edited by WhiteDart; September 22, 2010, 07:05 PM.
                Jim K.
                :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

DAMNIT people i'm trying to get a deal on gaskets here, why couldn't all of you follow my sarcasm.

Comment

I use pretty much nothing other than Fel-Pro gaskets. Out of all of the engines I've assembled using them, I haven't had one failure.

As for boosted engines, depending on how high the boost gets, you might need the Fel-Pro Locwire gaskets.
                    '94 PGT Sold.
                    '93 5.0 Ranger XLT

FS: '93-'97 new rear brake kit; 93-95 V6 WP gasket

Comment

Once again:

Peice of mind < money left over (very important these days)

Comment

while most headgaskets out here for our cars are probrably fine especially with arp head studs i prefer the MLS brand headgaskets over the rest.. You can get the full engine gasket kit on ebay for under a hundred bucks shipped
                        1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
                        http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
                        1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
                        http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

im also using the ebay mls full gasket set... i dont see a problem either.

Comment

Has anyone actually blown a headgasket on our engines, just due to the fact it being oem? I have burnt my valves in 2 cylinders years ago and my headgaskets were just fine. I'm just wondering. There was a time when I too thought about getting copper gaskets but I'm happy I didn't.

Mici
                            Mazda MX-6 LS-T http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466742
                            Audi TT-R 1.8TQ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2486942
                            Toyota MR2 Spyder http://blopster.galleria.fi/kuvat/MR2Only/
                            Aprilia RSV1000RR Factory

Comment

Out of 7 blown engines on mine (N/A+F/I) none had to do with head gaskets so i'd say thats not a weak spot. Rods/pistons and oiling is smth to focus on!
                              Rio Red 94PGT, Turbo T360trim,T3T4E 50 trim,T3T4E57 trim Parted out!
                              1998 Volvo S70, The Brick
                              1999 Red Volvo S70 T5 The Red Devil, modded
                              1998 Black V70R AWD, The Waggo with mods

Comment

Working...
                              X