Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new misfire/hesitation on accel. Problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new misfire/hesitation on accel. Problem..

As of today I was driving my mx-6 and when I start off from a stop IF I get it to the point of almost stalling while taking off the car starts running like crap, doing a misfire and hesitation all the way up to maybe 2500 rpms, then as it gets to higher rpms it smooths out. If I accelerate normally with out getting the rpms really low to almost stalling the problem isn't present... but after it starts to act up, it won't go away.

Also when this problem is present I can stop the car and take it out of gear, and rev the engine and it will rev up fine. BUT if I put in the clutch while still out of gear and rev it, the car misfires and hesitates as if I were accelerating from a stop.

Anyone know what this could be? The car has new disty, disty cap,wires, plugs.... Could a Bad disty rotor do this? I'm so stumped..

Car is 93' Mx-6 KLZE mtx
    1993 Mazda MX-6 LS KL-ZE MTX
    1994 Mazda Miata MX-5 MTX
    1993 Ford Probe GT MTX(169,xxx)-Sold
    1995 Ford Probe GT MTX(Dead)
    1992 Mazda MX-3 GS MTX(Sold)

Well, when I unplug the TPS the car seems to run better, lightly misfires and barely sputters if even at all.... Doesn't backfire or sputter into a stall like when the TPS is plugged in.

So i'm thinking I either got a bad TPS or I just need to adjust it? If it were bad wouldn't it throw a code?

Comment

That's a high possibility, with no TPS the ecu relies on VAF.
      1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
      1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
      2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
      2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
      1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I used a mulimeter and set the TPS to about .60 and it seems to run better but still not too well... Would a bad one still be able to be adjusted like this? or just show .00?

And.... Is it bad to run without the TPS? I need to use the car to go to work and back. If its ok, what does it affect? gas mileage? anything?

Comment

From my personal experience, we ran a car with no TPS signal going back to the ECU unknowingly at first and it drove normal except it lacked some power up at the top. You need to check the purple wire I believe for min and max voltage with close throttle and WOT, watch for any glitches like a dead spot in the voltage while your opening the throttle.
          1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
          1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
          2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
          2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
          1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I have an extra TPS. If you want I can ship it to you for free. Just send me the address.
            1993 PGT-DE-T Silver Surfer - 8psi

1995 PGT Daily Driver - D2's - Turbo kit sitting in garage

1997 F-150 - Home Depot Getter

2004 Acura TSX - Wife Mobile

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - My new toy

Comment

thats cool Jaz. it does sound like a dead spot .
              96 MX6 M Edition , V6 5 speed. 95 MX6,I4 manual - work in progress,but still DD . 94 626,V6 automatic - the family (wife's) car. 94 626 V6 auto ,parting out.

Comment

How do you set or adjust the tps . I've had my car for over 14 yrs and is now just starting to get back into fixing it up . Would like to know for future purposes.

Comment

Probe with 2.5L Engines

1. Detach the connector from the throttle position sensor.

2. Connect an ohmmeter between terminals IDL and GND.

3. Rotate the throttle linkage by hand. With the throttle valve fully closed, the ohmmeter should read 0.1-1.1 volts.

4. With the throttle valve fully open, the ohmmeter should read 3.1-4.4 volts.

5. If not as specified, adjust or replace the throttle position sensor.

you can find more info here - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...26122c#hd1-1-2
                  96 MX6 M Edition , V6 5 speed. 95 MX6,I4 manual - work in progress,but still DD . 94 626,V6 automatic - the family (wife's) car. 94 626 V6 auto ,parting out.

Comment

Working...
                  X