Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABS light wont turn off! How do you reset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS light wont turn off! How do you reset?

Hey, i dont post on here much but was hoping that someone could solve my problem. First off my ABS light has randomly turned on while driving, i never really cared too much about the problem since it was very intermitant. However recently and seemingly for no reason at all my ABS light stays on all the time, as in as soon as i start the car it is on. I tried to find the codes in the computer, however the light does not fully flash on and off like the check engine light does, it sorta dims making it near impossible to see. So tonight i checked for the codes and think i got 14,12,13 in that order. I find this weird since those are all speed sensors and by my logic shouldnt activate the light until the cars starts moving. Anyways my first question is how do i reset the ABS computer, it doesnt say how to in my haynes manual. Secondly what would anyone recommend to help further diagnose the problem.
    I'm sorry if this is long but i have searched as much as possible using both probetalk, mx6.com, and the hayned manual and am still without an answer. Thank in advance for any and all help

Re: ABS light wont turn off! How do you reset?

Read this thread:
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthre...ight=abs+codes
    for the code retrieval procedure from the ABS diagnostic monitor. You clear the ABS memory just like you would for the PCM: pull the battery for a minute.
    KevinD
    1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

Thanks for the reply but i tried, resetting the codes that way and they all re-appeared or never got erased. What path should i take to diagnose this problem the haynes manual doesnt really go that far into the diagnostic problem

Comment

The code(s) are most likely reappearing due to a fault in the system. Can you read the codes using the procedure outlined by Omaha95PGT? There is also a way to use a voltmeter to read the codes, if you can't interpret the ABS light flashes (and you have access to a voltmeter).
        KevinD
        Last edited by KevinD; March 31, 2004, 12:13 AM.
        1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

I can read the codes but the ABS light flashes extremely faintly...as in when the lights dim for a sec when the stereo is turned up....I just want confirm that you count the codes when the light flashes and not dims. Also i have tried a voltmeter as i cant find mine but if that would help the situation i could try it tommorrow with that. Thanks

Comment

I've never tried to pull ABS codes, but the Service Manual says the codes will flash.
            KevinD

Comment

I posted something similar to this earlier in the month but didn't receive any help. However I'm unable to pull codes by jumping the pins.

Something else I've noticed is that sometimes when pressing the brake, there is an "osbstruction" and the sound of a motor resisting my foot pushing down on the brake. I'm still able to stop, but the ABS light and this weird noise are annoying.
              Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

my garage

Comment

Originally posted by mejum
                Something else I've noticed is that sometimes when pressing the brake, there is an "osbstruction" and the sound of a motor resisting my foot pushing down on the brake...
                You, my friend, have a serious ABS problem. Were I in your shoes, I'd disable the ABS system by pulling ABS fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, TEST the brakes for proper non-ABS operation, and have the ABS serviced. I'll try to get some more information posted here later.
                KevinD

Comment

Last edited by diosnoche; March 31, 2004, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Last edited by diosnoche; March 31, 2004, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Erasing

Two procedures are available to erase diagnostic trouble codes. One uses an analog VOM, and the other uses a Rotunda Super STAR II Tester.

Using Analog VOM:

1. Connect pins "TBS" and "GND" at Data Link Connector (DLC) with jumper wire.

2. Key ON.

3. Output diagnostic trouble codes using the analog VOM.

4. After the first code is repeated, depress the brake pedal 10 times at intervals of less than one (1) second.

5. Key OFF.

6. Disconnect the jumper wire at the DLC.

NOTE:

(1) The indicator should illuminate while performing the memory cancel.

(2) When the memory cancel operation is completed, the indicator should illuminate for 2-3 seconds, then go off.

(3) After memory cancel, the anti-lock brake control module performs self-diagnosis.

(4) Memory is not canceled by disconnecting the battery.

(5) Memory codes cannot be canceled if the following occur:

a. Intervals for depressing the brake pedal (2455) exceed one (1) second.

b. Stoplamp bulb or Brake On/Off (BOO) switch has malfunctioned.

(6) If using the analog VOM, be sure to remove the jumper wire from the Data Link Connector (DLC) after all checks and repairs are made.

I didn't think anyone would have a STAR II Tester laying on the bench, so I didn't include that procedure .
                      KevinD
                      Sorry about the disconnect-the-battery misinformation earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by mejum
                        I posted something similar to this earlier in the month but didn't receive any help. However I'm unable to pull codes by jumping the pins.

Something else I've noticed is that sometimes when pressing the brake, there is an "osbstruction" and the sound of a motor resisting my foot pushing down on the brake. I'm still able to stop, but the ABS light and this weird noise are annoying.
                        sounds like your hydraulic actuation assembly is malfunctioning

Comment

Ok, i tried erasing the memory by pressing the pedal down 10 times really quickly multiple times and there seems to be no affect, however i looked for the codes again and i think im getting 15 now....the light dims for a second then goes bright then dims and goes on and off 5 times very quickly. I have no problem paying to ge this problem fixed however last time i took my car in with brake problems it seemed the mechanics didnt know how to properly diagnose the problem.....The car is all Mazda serviced...Still dont know where to head

Comment

Based on the codes in your first post, and now the Code 15, the Service manual says, "SUBSTITUTE a known good anti-lock brake control module. PERFORM (the) Test ... again."
                            Not much help, is it?
                            KevinD

Comment

Yeah it is, as in thats what i thought it would say. I made an appointment at Mazda tommorrow but im starting to think its not worth it as A) they might not find the problem or fix a thing or B) they'll find the problem and want to charge me a fortune. Either way im gonna get screwed...i just find it wierd why it decided to break in a pefectly nice day

Comment

Working...
                              X