'94 Probe GT won't start. Fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Probe GT won't start. Fuel pump?

So, I haven't driven the '94 probe gt lately. I started it and it took about 5 cranks to start. I have read on here that when you put the key in to start the car, the pump doesn't prime, but It just seems to me like it does. Like a 2 second sound from the back of the car.

Anyway, it has been sitting for a while and was low on fuel so I took it to the gas station. It died as I approached the pump. I put fuel in it, started it up, started to move and it died.

It would not restart. Not only that, but I didn't hear any of the pump being primed.

I did the jump at the diagnostic terminal via the haynes book and heard a noise, but the noise sounds like it is the injectors or something. It isn't coming from the middle to back of the car at all.

I listened and felt the relay and it appears to be clicking on when my wife turns on the ignition.

Could it be that there is not enough gas in the tank and that is the only problem? There is currently only about a gallon or two in there, maybe less.

Is there an easy way to check the fuel pump to see if it is actually working.

In the days of carburetors, you could just take off the air cleaner and put in a few drops of fuel and the car would at least try to start. Is there any way to do this sort of priming thing with a fuel injected car?

Thank you for your time,
    Shawn

I know for a fact that my '94 does not prime until you crank the motor over.

Make sure you have spark. Distributors on these cars are prone to failure. Pull a spark plug wire off one of the plugs and attach another, lay it on the intake manifold and crank it over, you should see spark.

You can check for fuel by pulling off the fuel return line after the fuel pressure regulator and attaching a hose long enough to catch the fuel coming out of it into a container. Then crank over the motor. Remember there will be some fuel spilled when you pull off the return line, even if the pump isn't working. Be careful.
    '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

Originally posted by earl8245 View Post
      I know for a fact that my '94 does not prime until you crank the motor over.

Make sure you have spark. Distributors on these cars are prone to failure. Pull a spark plug wire off one of the plugs and attach another, lay it on the intake manifold and crank it over, you should see spark.

You can check for fuel by pulling off the fuel return line after the fuel pressure regulator and attaching a hose long enough to catch the fuel coming out of it into a container. Then crank over the motor. Remember there will be some fuel spilled when you pull off the return line, even if the pump isn't working. Be careful.
      Well, no spark it looks like. I'll have to do the fuel pump test in a couple of days. I'll post back and let you know.

Would it be the whole distributer, or just maybe the cap and rotor? How about the coil, could it be that possibly? Is there a test for that?

Thank you,
      Shawn

Comment

Likely cause for no spark is the ignitor which is mounted inside the distributor under the cap, rotor and cam position sensor. Remanufactured distributors are expensive and also have a high failure rate. The "HEI mod" is an inexpensive replacement for the stock ignitor and can be rigged with an aftermarket external coil.

Be sure to check all of your fuses before assuming the distributor is dead.
        Last edited by earl8245; October 24, 2011, 04:26 PM.
        '94 PGT - MTX, KLG4 IM/xtremethings ECU, CAI, Headers, cat delete, Magnaflow, STS, Phenos, HEI mod, XTD 6-puck on a molly flywheel, Walbro 190, ZEX wet system, "Jacked" VRIS, pillar gauges, nav, Kitted & Winged. Why you so slow?

Comment

Likely cause for no spark is the ignitor which is mounted inside the distributor under the cap, rotor and cam position sensor. Remanufactured distributors are expensive and also have a high failure rate. The "HEI mod" is an inexpensive replacement for the stock ignitor and can be rigged with an aftermarket external coil.

Be sure to check all of your fuses before assuming the distributor is dead.
          Well, it isn't the distributor. I kind of glanced around this morning on the distributor end, and noticed at least one spark plug wire unplugged from the bottom.

I'll do the fuel pump test tomorrow when I have more time.

Shawn

Comment

I was going to post a picture of the hose that I think you are talking about, but this forum won't let me post a pic.

Is there a way you can show me which hose you are talking about?

Shawn

Comment

to post pics you have to goto to supermotors .com or photobucket.com and get an account there free then you can post pics here
              95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
              94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
              93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
              97&94&93 PGT gone
              DALE

Comment

Ok, let me try this again.

Is this the hose you are talking about?
                http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/.../Ford%20Probe/

Thank you,
                Shawn

Comment

That's the one. Wouldn't surprise me if you have a fuel pump issue as my Mercury Sable did the same thing this spring. I hadn't run it in a year or more and it started and ran for about 5 minutes before it died. I checked for fuel and found nothing. Installed a new pump and it has been running ever since. Good luck.
                  '95 KLZE PGT - SPEC Clutch, Borla Exhaust, Hot Shot Headers, LSD Trans, MegaSquirt, Supercharged

Comment

I'll give that hose thing a try. That thing is kinda tough to get off of there. I'll give it another try.

Comment

Ok, I had thought that gas would come out of the rubber hose, and not the steel tube so I wasn't quite prepared for the gas.

At any rate, we cranked the engine, and gas came gushing out of the steel tube shown in picture number one.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_3474.jpg

There is spark from the distributor, and fuel from the fuel pump, at least to this point.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
                      Shawn

Comment

Pull codes. Check fuses.
                        There is spark on each plug?
                        Last edited by earl8245; October 27, 2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Pull codes. Check fuses.
                          There is spark on each plug?
                          Well, the manual says to bring the car up to temp, which I can't since it isn't running. I ran the code anyway, and it was 8 quick flashes, with a pause, one long flash... pause.. 8 short flashes, etc.

The code says it is the mass air flow sensor, or circuit.

All the spark plugs fire, and all fuses look good. I pulled each of them out to check.

Shawn
                          Last edited by sealpt; October 27, 2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Yep, make sure the vaf/maf is plugged in, it won't run without it.
                            Last edited by earl8245; October 27, 2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Yep, make sure the vaf/maf is plugged in, it won't run without it.
                              Isn't that the electrical connection on the part holding the air filter? that part is plugged in.

Comment

Working...
                              X