No announcement yet.

Which head gaskets are best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I blew a front stocker before, though want to know the funny thing. I replaced it with ebay MLS and I forgot the last torque sequence of an extra 90 degrees, I ran it like that for over a year overheating the whole time but managable with heater on, then when I moved to Arizona it got worse 100* weather so it was then I realized the bolts were loose. I put on a new ebay MLS and used the existing head and no warping as I have the proper tools to check, no rullers for me.

I drove it 500miles on my last trip before repairing it and I had to draft big rigs couple feet away to make it home as the temps were between normal and full red and still no warping !!!
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

How can it be that the felpro gasket is twice as expensive as the ebay mls ??
      Mazda Mx3- Panther black, Kosei 18", custom hood, cleaned, new pakfeifer front, customized pakfeifer rear

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous

Comment

You would have to buy both and compare, chinese metal is cheaper to buy then American. That and the Pride American companies have that creates high prices. What's the difference between chinese stamped metal and American stamp sheet of metal? Seriously though if it were'nt for these $30/set gaskets I would not do all the builds I do, I litterly buy 5 sets at a time with local pick up, that's 10 gaskets for $100!!!
        Last edited by mac1; October 17, 2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

ok I need an answer quick. I am seeing the full MLS gasket set for 45 bucks shipped. Will I be ok using all the gaskets from this kit? cuz i was looking at 120 through ford... I really need two sets one for my 97 and one for kidd123's 96 PLZ help from what I have read ill be fine just wanting to make sure the VC gaskets and the IM gaskets are fine

Thanks
          Trent
          73k mile 93 PGTCold Air Intake, Pacesetter Headers, Pace Setter Monza Cat back, Resonated Test Pipe, EGR and VRIS delete *SOLD*
          1997 Gold PGT 85k miles Ebay headers, CAI
          1998 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 5spd. Winter car

Comment

valve cover gaskets prolly wont last 75k miles like oem but who cares.

Comment

Ironically the only gaskets I use/trust from fleabay are the most important ones. Head gaskets. All the rubber gaskets i've tried from there fail fairly quickly. It must be the type of rubber they use because they work great for a short while but then they shrink and begin to leak. The valve seals are also teh suckage.
              Jim K.
              :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayarse View Post
                Has anyone actually blown a headgasket on our engines, just due to the fact it being oem? I have burnt my valves in 2 cylinders years ago and my headgaskets were just fine. I'm just wondering. There was a time when I too thought about getting copper gaskets but I'm happy I didn't.

Mici
                I blew a headgasket once on my boosted pgt but it was because my thermostat stuck shut.. I was boosting and didnt realize the temp until it got up to around 250.. The headgasket didnt blow bad though.. It wasnt getting water in the oil it was getting oil the antifreeze.. Everytime i would start boosting hard it would blow a little oil into the water jackets in the block and get a lil oil in my antifreeze.. The gasket still lasted a few more months until i changed it though.. So id say our headgaskets are pretty good and even better with the arp head studs
                1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
                1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
                  Ironically the only gaskets I use/trust from fleabay are the most important ones. Head gaskets. All the rubber gaskets i've tried from there fail fairly quickly. It must be the type of rubber they use because they work great for a short while but then they shrink and begin to leak. The valve seals are also teh suckage.
                  Hmmmm.... That's wierd on the valve seals as they are listed as viton just like what every company uses that makes valve seals.. hmmm.....How long do you think the rubber gaskets will last?
                  mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
                  Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

I think the worst experience I had was with one of the Eristic labeled kits. After less than a month it was leaking from both valve covers, the disty o-ring, cam seals, valve cover grommets, slight seeping from the metal coolant tube that feeds the oil cooler, oil cooler o-ring, and billowing smoke on startup and decel (valve seals). Though the majority of kit was a total waste, the headgaskets were fine. A friend got the Mizuto (or whatever it was) kit and he wound up with the same problems.

I put about 110k of the 268k on my motor with OEM vcgs and Felpro valve seals and it was still perfect up until a few rod bearings let go. Cant argue with results like that.
                    When I eventually get around to rebuilding my original motor, it will be with all OEM rubber stuffs and ebay head gaskets.
                    Jim K.
                    :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Working...
                    X