1st gen factory sub size and equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gen factory sub size and equipment

I was looking in my haynes, and I saw that some 89pgt 's had a factory sub. Does anyone know how big they are, and if they are like 8", if an aftermarket one can be installed in its place,
    thanks.

They are 6". I put one in my old GL. I used an aftermarket mid-bass driver. It worked great. Now I suppose I would use the same JL Audio 6" that I'm using in my second gen.
    A word of caution: The 1st gen sub works only if you have the 1st gen am/fm/cd/cassette unit. The reason is that the head unit is where the signal for the sub amp is split from the rest of the signal. I found out the hard way. I did love having that GT radio though. I think it was better than my second gen's radio.
    Barry
    Registered Probetalk Member #392.
    Co-founder of ALPOC. Formerly had '93 Rio Red GT, PRD STS-99, Bosch H4 lamps, Borla, Pilot 1055-c driving lamps. IT'S CRUNCHY!
    '93 Teal PGT. '94 black PSE. '91 PLX, 300k+ miles.

Comment

I have just the cassette deck.. no CD.. is that gonna be a problem? Or where could I get the ford cd player? I wanna go original.

Comment

You'll need to search the junkyards.
        Remember, you'll need the WHOLE unit, not just the CD player.
        If the one you buy doesn't work then you can get it exchanged through Visteon (nee United Radio, 1-800-448-0944). That is what I did.
        You'll also need the sub amp which is found behind the trim panel in the rear seating area on the passenger side in 1st gens.
        When you remove the junkyard unit be sure you see how it was installed in the donor car. It will help when you put it into yours.
        Barry
        Registered Probetalk Member #392.
        Co-founder of ALPOC. Formerly had '93 Rio Red GT, PRD STS-99, Bosch H4 lamps, Borla, Pilot 1055-c driving lamps. IT'S CRUNCHY!
        '93 Teal PGT. '94 black PSE. '91 PLX, 300k+ miles.

Comment

Working...
        X