Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out of balance tire making thumping noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of balance tire making thumping noise?

Hey, about 2-3 days ago I'm just driving down the road, with my music off for a change, and I hear a thump thump thump thump as I'm slowing down with my foot not on the break. Them thump noise sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheelwell at the time. The thump is heard faster and slower in relation to the speed of my car. SO anyways, at the first acknowledgment of the thump, i thought it might just be the road or something, so I turn off to a different road and it does it again. I got outa my car and checked to see if anything was hanging around my wheelwell, nothing was located. So yesterday I finally noticed after I parked my car at my house that the tire weight was laying on the ground right next to my front right tire, and I don't have a weight on my front right tire right now, so It's out of balance I presume. IS this what's causing the thump sound? If it is, it's a quick fix at the tire shop, but I don't wanna pay for it unless I knomw that's what it is, any help?

most likely a broken belt in your tire.

it will make a thump everytime it goes around.
    faster the speed faster the thumps

try running your hand over the tire feeling for bulges on the tread.
    93 Probe GT -198k members.cardomain.com/PA_Probe - SOLD
    On the lookout for a cheap PGT.

Comment

belt in the tire ?
      ehmm how many holes do you allow your tire to have, driving them with 'belts' inside ???
      hey, this is not a jeep

---

sometimes tires pick up small stones or things like that, which possibly cause the sound.

the lost weight will more or less effect steering and handling above a specific speed.
      You may feel some virbration from the steering wheel.

from my experience i was unable to drive faster than 60 mph cause the lost weight caused such a shaky steering wheel, it was hard to hold it (besides it was a likewise hughe weight i later found missing)

the lost weight could also cause the tire to wear out irregulary, so i would replace that asap
      http://www.danasoft.com/sig/DaGuckstDu.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by blondnirvana
        belt in the tire ?
        ehmm how many holes do you allow your tire to have, driving them with 'belts' inside ???
        hey, this is not a jeep
        All tires have belts, whether you like it or not. The belts are molded inside the rubber and give the tire it's strength. Most tire people call this a "slipped belt" sometimes you can even see the lump in the tire. The Michelin people have a neater name, clevage failure (but you have to say it like you're french), Regardless of what you call it, it's usually a manufacturing defect and the tire store should pro-rate you a new tire.

Comment

Originally posted by PGT Mac
          All tires have belts, whether you like it or not. The belts are molded inside the rubber and give the tire it's strength. Most tire people call this a "slipped belt" sometimes you can even see the lump in the tire. The Michelin people have a neater name, clevage failure (but you have to say it like you're french), Regardless of what you call it, it's usually a manufacturing defect and the tire store should pro-rate you a new tire.
          This is why tires are clasified as "radials" the belts or whatever run in a radial chris cross pattern

I have three sets of nice stock size rubber for sale...............

Brice

Comment

Nonetheless, you should at least take it to the tire place and have it checked for balance.

It IS possible for an unbalanced tire to give the same symptoms he's describing.
            redeemed
            IndyProbes founder

Comment

thanks all. My friend works at sam's club with me and he works at the TMA dept, and he can prolly do a balance for free, but if it's the belts, I just bought the tires no more than 500 miles ago, so I will have them check it out prolly

Comment

yeah i had this same problem before and when i took it to the Costco tire place they said it had a bubble in the tire so it was lopsided and the tire needed to be replaced. They said not to drive the car over 35 or 40 MPH while you have the bump to. I hope this helps
                Stock 93 626 ES Auto

Comment

i was wrong

aaah -- when i heard belt i was reminded that in my first car, they put an additional kind of 'balloon' in that tire. i was wrong cause i thought belt means exactly that.

belt = outer surface
                  me = sometimes a lil' stupid

problem solved.. lol

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/DaGuckstDu.jpg

Comment

Re: out of balance tire making thumping noise?

Originally posted by Cablecam
                    Hey, about 2-3 days ago I'm just driving down the road, with my music off for a change, and I hear a thump thump thump thump as I'm slowing down with my foot not on the break. Them thump noise sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheelwell at the time. The thump is heard faster and slower in relation to the speed of my car. SO anyways, at the first acknowledgment of the thump, i thought it might just be the road or something, so I turn off to a different road and it does it again. I got outa my car and checked to see if anything was hanging around my wheelwell, nothing was located. So yesterday I finally noticed after I parked my car at my house that the tire weight was laying on the ground right next to my front right tire, and I don't have a weight on my front right tire right now, so It's out of balance I presume. IS this what's causing the thump sound? If it is, it's a quick fix at the tire shop, but I don't wanna pay for it unless I knomw that's what it is, any help?
                    I was wondering if you ever found out what it was? Mine just started to do this like a week ago..

Thanks

James
                    94 Mustang Convertible
                    89PGT - Sold

Comment

Thump Thump

had the same sound,,,, but when I check I found a flattened possum stuck on the tire.!! all fixed now.
                      John

Comment

Re: Thump Thump

Originally posted by zeppelin
                        had the same sound,,,, but when I check I found a flattened possum stuck on the tire.!! all fixed now.
                        John
                        Hey, did the possum have a head on it? 'Cause I took a possum head out of the dog's mouth the other day and haven't found the rest of it yet.

Comment

Possum Thump!

Im in Australia . either it was a big possum or your dog is getting out of a night...!

Comment

Re: Possum Thump!

Originally posted by zeppelin
                            Im in Australia . either it was a big possum or your dog is getting out of a night...!
                            She did smell of salt water!
                            I noticed your address but thought I'd try anyway.

Comment

94 Mustang Convertible
                              89PGT - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X