This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post swap: Reverse lights, neutral safety switch

I cant find anywhere around here to get my car to pass inspection if it doesnt have functional reverse lights and if it will still start in any gear other than neutral. These are common problems after the swap, and from what I read people have been able to fix them. I found the plug & wiring for the reverse switch/sensor on the front of the tranny, it has two wires coming off of it and the plug isnt attached to anything on the atx wiring harness. Apparently I have to splice those wires in somewhere, the NTS.. the big orange plug that used to be on top of the tranny.. to get the reverse lights to work. Does anyone know which pin #'s I can splice them into, or does it have to go into the wiring? Also... what about the car starting in gear, has anyone gotten around that?

Sorry to ask an mtx related question in here, but I figured this would be the most appropriate forum for the info.

mark said:
    well i simpley hooked the reverse wires from the NTS (nutral safety switch) to the reverse switch on the trans , BTW the reverse switch is located on the front of the trans , and it dosn't matter what way you hook the wires up .
    make sure you use a weather pack type conector .

the wire colors are
    r/y and b/y

can anyone explain that in more detail? I dont have the car here to look at as a reference, but I need it working ASAP. Thanks everyone.
    1993 Ford Probe GT - KLDE + N2O
    228 whp 241 wtq - 2340 lb race weight
    ATX - 13.44@105.1 MTX - 13.35@106.1

I'm actually thinking of messing with that stuff today.....
    Sandon Lettieri
    1993 Probe GT - KLZE & Stuff - 172whp / 161wtq - 146k
    2013 Focus ST - Stock & Stuff - 251whp / 290wtq - 142k

Comment

You gotta know someone who knows a shady inspection man. That starting in gear thing can come in handy if you ever run out of gas just as crossing some train tracks.
      95 626 2.0 CD4E (the pos atx)
      A few bolt-ons
      165,000 miles+

Comment

man, I just read reverse light thing, somewhere else..can't remember where. (it was like a week or two ago, must be somewhere in one of the 2.5 forums, because those and this are about all I ever check. coulda been in a thread started by myself as well) Dorothy, AKA, mrkswmn97, just dealt with this, so you could try messageing her-said it was a 2-minute fix. that sucks about them not wanting it to start in any gear

Comment

Next time I'm over at Mark's, I'll bring my digi and snap some pics of what needs to be done.
          '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

Done...

The Neutral Safety switch was easy. I wired it inline with the 6-9 pin jumper to start the car. Now my car has to be in Neutral to start.

The reverse lights were a little harder.

Looking into the harness, the pins are numbered like this...

5-4-3-2-1
            9-8-7-6

I jumped 1 and 4 in series with the reverse switch...and boom working reverse lights...

I made the mistake of wiring the 2 and 5 because I assumed it went left to right....ooops

pin 5 doesn't have a wire.....

My car now has working Reverse Lights and only starts in Neutral...

The parking blocks thank me
            My car thanks me
            My girlfriend thanks me
            Sandon Lettieri

Comment

Originally posted by pgt4speed

The parking blocks thank me
              My car thanks me
              My girlfriend thanks me
              And I thank you!

If I was a slutty high school girl, I'd give you head Sandon. Thank you, now my car will pass PA inspection.
              1993 Ford Probe GT - KLDE + N2O
              228 whp 241 wtq - 2340 lb race weight
              ATX - 13.44@105.1 MTX - 13.35@106.1

Comment

Sandon Lettieri

Comment

Oh man !!! you guys are funny :grin:
                  N.E.P.O-"The Rebel"
                  -2005 SRT-4 *305lb tq*
                  -1998 Neon Stock:
                  -1997 PGT Stacked:**SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by HowLeTT

If I was a slutty high school girl, I'd give you head Sandon.
                    I think we ALL would!

Ha ha. Too funny!
                    Jesus is the remedy
                    Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
                    Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
                    Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

Done...

The Neutral Safety switch was easy. I wired it inline with the 6-9 pin jumper to start the car. Now my car has to be in Neutral to start.
                      Can I get some more info on this? Where is the neutral safety switch? Is this a MTX or ATX (original) part? Also, have you connected the clutch pedal switches? I notice there are two wired harnesses down there but I cannot figure which wires to connect them too.

-Craig
                      Boysenberry 96 GT
                      Nissan Endlinks, Borla, 98+ TransAM tails, Eibachs & KYB's. MTX swap - Tranny number 8!, Kenwood BT838U / Infinity Kappas / 2nd Stock sub

Comment

Done...

The reverse lights were a little harder.

Looking into the harness, the pins are numbered like this...

5-4-3-2-1
                        9-8-7-6

I jumped 1 and 4 in series with the reverse switch...and boom working reverse lights...

I made the mistake of wiring the 2 and 5 because I assumed it went left to right....ooops

pin 5 doesn't have a wire.....

Which harness would this be i still have no reverse.
                        -ImPLiCiT CoNcEpTz-
                        S14 silvia-Injen short ram intake-18"ADR Fuel -Denso iridium plugs-Injen short ram intake-Injen cold air extension- bump in da trunk-Nismo270R front-fidanza 11 lb flywheel-HKS Hi-Power catback-Tein S Tech springs.
                        94 probeGT-204whp and 196 Tq (bottle disconnected before dyno run was over)
                        http://members.rankmyride.com/implicits14

Comment

This should help ...

http://members.rogers.com/sk8rh8r/Pages/Car_Fr.htm

-Craig
                          Boysenberry 96 GT
                          Nissan Endlinks, Borla, 98+ TransAM tails, Eibachs & KYB's. MTX swap - Tranny number 8!, Kenwood BT838U / Infinity Kappas / 2nd Stock sub

Comment

thats y u swap everything instead of hackjobbin it
                            Unnaturally Aspirated and Squirted Ford Probe
                            Evo16g,Hybrid Custom Manifold,P&P,3angle VJ, and Milled Head, Oliver Billet rods,Wiesco 9:1 forged pistons,Apexi AVCR, 440cc injectors,Walbro 255hp,TypeRS Bov,Atx->Mtx,2.5 DP & MES Catback,RR-Sts,CM 2-R clutch, AWR Rad & Pan,Megasquirt2pcb3, maf delete/coilpack conversion

Comment

ddrop: who are your responding to?

I know that the only thing I havent swapped was the harness itself. I was under the impression that this was unnecessary.

Now I would like to know if you have any insight into this clutch pedal issue. As it stands, I have all the MTX parts save the harness. I cannot figure out where to wire the clutch pedal harnesses (2) to.

-Craig

btw. I know I have been told to contact travis. I will tomorrow - drinky drinky too much tonight .: too lazy!!
                              Boysenberry 96 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X