Probe GT EGR Valve/Position sensor locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe GT EGR Valve/Position sensor locations

I just bought my 1994 probe GT and I need to replace the position sensor. Where is this? Also, does anyone know what years the Mazda 626 engine is about the same. I have a 626 repair manual, but I don't know how similar it is. I will link to it if anyone is interested.

Thanks.
    Red 1994 pgt - 2.5L V6 - 5spd

The positional sensor is built into the EGR valve itself. You have to replace the valve. As many people have experimented with, sometimes you can take the valve off and clean it out to get it working again. It gets gummed over time.
    1995 PGT F/S.... car listed in forums...

Comment

I don't know where the valve is.
      Thanks

I found it on a car at the scrap yard. The valve is attached to the under side of the intake manifold at about the center of the engine...It is held on by 2 bolts...probably about 12mm and you will need a wrench that is about 17 or 18mm to pull the hose off that comes from the exhaust manifold.
      Last edited by greencounty; November 23, 2007, 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Comment

as for the engine. from 1993 - 1997 they are the same engine. The main thing that is differnet is the ditsy. You have to buy that part for the year of the engine.

As for the positional sensor its on the left side of the engine in the middle of the cams, and the EGR valve, you are right, its behind the engine block and almost everything on a car is 10mm so you wil need that size it its not easy to remove when the engine is in the car, but not impossible. Good luck

Comment

Replace the valve or clean it out. However, the one thing that is certain from above is that getting the EGR tube from the exhaust off is not easy on older cars. I've typically used a crow foot wrench with a 1/2" drive extension in it. You can extend it down beyond the subframe on the car and get a 1/2" breaker bar on it to get it loose.

A good hardware store will sell the crowfoot wrenches per each one. It was like $6.

Although I'm not sure the size anymore, it was something like this:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
          Last edited by leska; November 23, 2007, 10:41 PM.
          1995 PGT F/S.... car listed in forums...

Comment

Originally posted by Cosworth
            As for the positional sensor its on the left side of the engine in the middle of the cams, and the EGR valve, you are right, its behind the engine block and almost everything on a car is 10mm so you wil need that size it its not easy to remove when the engine is in the car, but not impossible. Good luck
            You say the positoinal sensor is between the cams?? I thought the sensor that is on the top of the valve and plugs in with a 3 prong plug to the wiring harness would be the positional sensor...I tested this sensor to work...

I pulled my valve out(not an easy task at all) and it looks to be fine. I got a used replacement that I'm going to clean up before I put in with a new gasket, but I couldn't help but notice that the hole where with exhaust goes back into the intake(the hole where the EGR bolts on) is not even about the same size as the hole in the gasket...it is a circular hole probably about as big around as the middle of my smallest finger. I got a coat hanger and shoved it up the hole and it goes up a ways, but stops on what i am assuming is the throttle plate. Should this hole be any bigger in diameter, or is it normal to have the opening in the EGR and the opening in the intake be so much different in size?

Also any help on cleaning any of this would be appreciated...

Thanks for any help...
            Last edited by greencounty; November 24, 2007, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X