Melted Spark Plug Boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melted Spark Plug Boot?

Hey guys. Just bought a used engine from a junk yard and the yard claimed that it was in perfect working order, but to replace all the seals just to be safe. Since my last engine threw a rod after replacing most of the seals, I took them all off and was planning to just swap them over.

I got the engine over to my friend's house today and started taking it apart, and the engine they gave me had some partial spark plug wires attached to them, so they were the first things I took off.

I went to pull them out, and the 2 inner spark plug wires basically broke off, leaving the shaft inside the plug well. Using a pair of pliers, my friend and I managed to get the shaft and metal pieces out of the well, but the boot itself is still in there, and appears to be melted to the NGK Spark Plugs that were in there.

Any ideas on how to get them out? Even if I tear down the head, I am not sure that I would be able to get to them... We soaked it down with WD-40 and plan to leave it sitting overnight, and then in the morning we are going to see if we can carve some of it out to where we can somehow turn the spark plug and bring it out in a huge chunk...

Other than that, what would you guys suggest? Any help is grealy appreciated...

Another reason not to pay the core charge.

Josh
    Silver 2011 5.7L Toyota Tundra CrewMax
    Former Owner of The Fastest N/A 2.0 Probe

Comment

I would use a long screw driver and try to break the boot parts off. If all else fails break the cermaic part of the spark plug off, that will leave the metal portion without the boot attched, then it should be easy to unscrew. Then use a magnetic tool to pull the base of the spark pug out.

Comment

yea, someone suggested using a torch to heat up a screwdriver and then using it to melt the boot into a clump to remove it...

Comment

Working...
        X