FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
    Today I made the oil return line, and started on the under-engine cradle. I wanted to keep the oil line angled all the way down, so I used a short piece of 30-degree curve pipe I had, and welded that to the oil pan, then welded the male -10AN fitting to the end of the pipe, then made the hose. This way there is a slope to the line all the way up, and it also allowed me to weld the pipe all the way up against the flange of the pan (welded it on the inside of the pan).

Really short on real estate for the line, but somehow it made it through. About 10" of the line are wrapped in XRP Mylar FyreFoil Lite (800*F protection) as it goes within 2" of the hot pipe. I also used this wrap on the rubber lines feeding ice water to the intercooler (last pic).

The ice box is now mounted in the cabin, as is the Bosch Cobra pump that will circulate the water. I think later on this semester I'm going to use my car as a demo in a Thermal Fluid Systems class to calculate the thermal efficiency and pressure loss of the intercooler

So much awesome..
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

• 95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
      93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
      89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
      04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
      Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

• The uni-member (engine cradle) is done. Looks a bit weird, but given that I'm working without a tube bender, this is the best I could muster. Also works in terms of what it needs to do. The rear transmission mount it only under tension and compression so that gives me good strength there.

The front engine mount (bolts to the block between the oil filter and transaxle) will put some bending stress on the 2 beams that it's mounted on, but given the amount of stiffness in all the other mounts, I'm not worried about it. I will be also boxing the underside of it to serve as a jacking point.

I discarded a full differential brace idea as it would be too time consuming to carry out at this time. I feel that with the AWR stock position transm. mount, the tranny saver, and this new mx-3 style mount bolted to the cradle I will have sufficient movement restraints.

90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

• Looks awesome and beefy!
          93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
          Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
          1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

• Dan, had you considered putting a gusset of some sort underneath the rear mount under that flat piece that the mound is welded to? It just seems like on that thin piece of metal that it would want to "twist" fore and aft.

I'm sure it's plenty strong, but it seems like it wouldn't be a horrible idea to put a couple pieces of metal vertically between the two pipes, and weld it to the flat piece as well.

Looks darn good though!

Are you going to have it powdercoated or painted or anything?
            Last edited by nevin94 PGT; September 16, 2010, 11:16 AM.
            Jesus is the remedy
            Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
            Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
            Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

• If that 3/16" steel plate has any issues holding up, then I have other problems

The plate only looks thin because I welded up to its surface. The whole thing will be painted black. With about $3-400 in dyno tuning still on the horizon, I am in money saving mode at the moment.
              90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
              93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
              97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

If that 3/16" steel plate has any issues holding up, then I have other problems

The plate only looks thin because I welded up to its surface. The whole thing will be painted black. With about $3-400 in dyno tuning still on the horizon, I am in money saving mode at the moment.
                No kidding on the 3/16's, we use that for skid plates on the Jeep and it weighs over 4k, I think you'll be ok.
                95 Black Probe GT
                Currently being parted out.

Comment

• No harm done. Just thought I'd throw out the first thing that came to mind. Knowing the thickness of the material now certainly lays to rest any thoughts of bent pieces.
                  Jesus is the remedy
                  Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
                  Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
                  Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

• This just keeps getting better and better! I'm also super jealous of your engine datalogging system. lol Honestly it's going to be a great and very useful tool. Especially for a car that is technically not street legal, so every second of tuning and logged info is unbelievably critical. It's just going to be awesome to see in action, in it's new incantation.
                    the car that Chris created 93 base 2.0, bought 9/27/1997 ~ 4-wheels are a happy part of every one of my days
                    what's happening now ; what was happening ; old c-west ; photo timeline 97-early 08
                    the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.

Comment

• Originally posted by cityracer View Post
                      This just keeps getting better and better! I'm also super jealous of your engine datalogging system. lol Honestly it's going to be a great and very useful tool. Especially for a car that is technically not street legal, so every second of tuning and logged info is unbelievably critical. It's just going to be awesome to see in action, in it's new incantation.
                      what ever it is sounds like the best thing ever
                      black 94 probe gt-on 5lbs boost - t3/t4 50trim dynoed at 210hp & 194 tq on fmu

Comment

• ^ I wasn't saying anything negative. Just acknowledging that when he want to run the car he is limited to track or dyno time only. He has to pay top $$ every time he wants to drive, and even has to tow it there. If you can log every second of your very expensive running time. This is immeasurably useful in the tuning process.
                        the car that Chris created 93 base 2.0, bought 9/27/1997 ~ 4-wheels are a happy part of every one of my days
                        what's happening now ; what was happening ; old c-west ; photo timeline 97-early 08
                        the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.

Comment

• Haven't done much today, just cleaned the oil pan, painted it, painted the cradle, and stared at it for a while as I can't figure out how to fit front-mounted traction bars. If I were to do those bars, it would be a PRM-style system, which is a direct copy of the best Honda stuff available itself.

By the way, to any of yee interested in doing drag stuff, and you can't figure out something, and you can't find it on PT - go to HondaTech. They are light years ahead of anything we're doing, and chances are that they've already tried doing whatever it is we're trying to figure out. Things like traction bars, parachute mounts, wheelie bars, whatever.

Anywho...back on point - traction bars. My downpipe and hot pipes are too low to allow for a front traction bar. So I might have to do them in the back - which is not that bad.

If I have my power flow figured out correctly, the control arms are being pulled forward (forcing the tires into toe-in) by the slicks as they get rotated by the hubm which in turn gets moved by the axles. So with convention traction bars, the traction arms are in compression.

With rear mounted arms (bolted between the control arms and the chassis), the traction arms would be in tension at full acceleration. Under braking it'd be in compression. Should do the job equally well if all else is equal. Ideally for high powered cars you'd use both (plus solid bushings), but this should hopefully work for me. I don't have a front sway bar so fit shouldn't be horribly bad (I say that now only to weep later, I'm sure).
                          Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 19, 2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

By the way, to any of yee interested in doing drag stuff, and you can't figure out something, and you can't find it on PT - go to HondaTech. They are light years ahead of anything we're doing, and chances are that they've already tried doing whatever it is we're trying to figure out. Things like traction bars, parachute mounts, wheelie bars, whatever.
                            Definitely the best for FWD drag racing info. I read their drag section on a daily basis. Been interested in making one of those weight bars like Miller sells for a long time.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
                            HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
                            Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
                            As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

I have been sayin this for some years now. Bash them all you want but they have a wealth of knowledge.
                              -J-Rod-
                              301whp 293wtq 9.5psi 14 degrees back under the knife (high compression & spray)
                              93 PGT-T
                              96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
                              08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah

Comment

• I wanted to chuck the hood sticks I've been using as props for the past forever, so I used a blown hatch strut....and even that thing is stiff enough to damn near break the carbon/glass hood when trying to close it. I have to pull down on the hood-side bracket to make sure the hood won't split when trying to close it.

Maybe I'll try to find an even more blown one

I also got the oil pan silicone'd up. One of my least favorite jobs ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X