No announcement yet.

Protege KLZE Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a sweet looking ride. I like the fact it has a kl in it.
    Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

love the car! Makes me want another KL protege!
      1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

Man that is sexy as hell! :O

I am so totally trying this at some point before I kick the bucket lol!

Comment

Love your car !it's different !!
          93 Probe gt- ,15.37 1/4 mile at mph 85 ** 5/24/03 14.71 SOLD
          1994 gt -klze,I/h/e/fly/ignition/kl31 ecu,colt210/210 cams Rip 2/13/08(blackice)
          92 mx3gs,ze swap from my probe 15.0@96mph :-( 175hp&155tq
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396402

Comment

Car looks great and your not that far from me
            95 GT Chameleon Beauty
            http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps15cc5293.jpg

"Without Risk There Is No Reward"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackProbe View Post
              Do you have a wide band o2 installed????looking at your fuel pressure ,I can tell you that your running rich at that fuel pressure,with a jdm ecu!kl36 ecu runs rich as hell ,from the
              factory!lol
              I need to update my signature. I run it right around 40psi now. I run a wideband and at WOT I am right in the low 12s AFR with it getting a bit more rich at around 6k rpms.

As for boost no plans at this time. I plan on keeping the car a long time so it is likely it will happen down the road. Just with the transmission crapping out twice on stock power I couldn't imagine anymore. I will be looking into a PAR gearset some time in the nearer future. I have a few other things planned for the car itself this year. All new suspension arms, 5-lug swap with rear disc, and other odds and ends.
              2000 Mazda Protege ES 1.8l >> 2.5l KLZE
              KLZE Straight Neck, CAI, Pacesetter Headers
              KL36 ECU, JE50 VAF, AFPR @ 40psi, Shaved Flywheel

Comment

So, I know this is reviving the dead, but figured I would update this again since its been almost 2 years. So the swap is almost 4 years old and have ~87k miles on it. So many great trips(BRP x2, Tail of the Dragon x2, Florida, Many weekend trips, etc...) Still running strong. The car itself is getting a bit rough, some cancer on the rear quarters, but thats getting fixed soon. This winter we completed the 5-lug swap with 07 MZ6 Front Brakes, 98 626 Rear brakes, some KMR bracing in the rear, new control arms, lateral links, trailing arms, rear subframe, new gas tank, new filler neck, energy suspension rear endlinks, 03 ES Black interior swap, etc... All kinds of goodies. So the body is next, then who knows.

How she sits today:

Black Interior:

5-lug & MZ6 Front Brakes:

Stock 16" Protege Wheels on:

Old Rear suspension and drum brakes out:

New Suspension and KMR Bracing:

The engine bay as of last fall:

Comment

Love it!

Im planning a KLG4 swap into my protégé5 sometime in the not too distant future and really appreciate the info you put here man. GJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Joost27 View Post
                    Fair enough about the tranny, but the deal i got on the mx6 trans and the fact that junkyards locally wanted 400+ for a probe gt trans was not worth the slightly better gearing.
                    just an observation...........mx6 trannies are 4.105 final drive, Probes are 4.38 and MSP are 4.38............so how did you get the pinion on the secondary shaft to work with the MSP ring gear?

And my MSP lsd worked perfectly until the cheasy welds broke, your look good though I didn't weld the pin.......TIg or Mig on yours?

Last edited by mac1; April 23, 2014, 10:26 PM.
                    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Do you have a source for the MSP having a 4.38 FD? Everything about the MSP trans is the same as the regular protege except the diff it self. I can tell you the ring gear is the same size and tooth count on the MSP LSD as the 626 Open Diff. Also, I no longer run the MSP LSD that thing went to crap in the first year (Now I bought it used with ~80k on it), I run a Team MFactory Helical LSD now.

For your other question I believe my friend MIG welded it, never had a problem with the welds.

http://www.protegefaq.net/transmission.html#G15M-R

Last edited by Joost27; April 24, 2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X