klze or klde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klze or klde

Wondering wich engine i should start with cuz I am planning on building up a motor with stroker kit(3.0l if posible), 11.5:1 compression pistons, full mandrel bent exaust to quad out muffler, port and polish heads, custom intake manifold, cold air intake (or try to figure out an itb setup), etc... would it be better to pay the extra and start with a klze or drag a klde from the junk yard.

They acutally still make a stroker kit ?

i thought the only one they had was 2.7

Comment

This thread is dumb from the beginning. I doubt you will but if you plan on ripping the motor apart and going custom... it really doesnt matter what you get, just get a millenia motor so you can have the square ported heads atleast, but the valve retainers are SHIT on anything with the square ported heads. (ZE heads).. They will straight break at an idle.

Just turbo the damn thing and spend 600 bucks on a megasquirt. why not get 350 hp instead of 250hp, and actually add some torque.

PS: Theyre is a search button... I bet for every new topic theres at least 5 out there that will answer your question... Just search, it sounds like its harder, but then you dont have to wait for an answer thats probably just going to be someone flaming anyways. Just a little .02 on my part.
      Last edited by pile_of_rd1; May 12, 2007, 03:46 PM.
      1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

i never had my vavle retainers break.. and i gone for 7k quite a few times over the last 4 to 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pile_of_rd1
          This thread is dumb from the beginning. I doubt you will but if you plan on ripping the motor apart and going custom... it really doesnt matter what you get, just get a millenia motor so you can have the square ported heads atleast, but the valve retainers are SHIT on anything with the square ported heads. (ZE heads).. They will straight break at an idle.

Just turbo the damn thing and spend 600 bucks on a megasquirt. why not get 350 hp instead of 250hp, and actually add some torque.

PS: Theyre is a search button... I bet for every new topic theres at least 5 out there that will answer your question... Just search, it sounds like its harder, but then you dont have to wait for an answer thats probably just going to be someone flaming anyways. Just a little .02 on my part.
          And who appointed you a moderator?
          Watch the smart mouth next time.
          KevinD
          1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

KLZE with KLDE MAF?

Greetings all,

I had a KLZE installed after I blew my KLDE. Curious thing is, I noticed the MAF has the code for the KLDE on it while the block code is KL31101. I think Ford just slapped the manifold and MAF onto the KLZE. Could this be possible? Or perhaps they may have put the KLZE block and manifold in but used the KLDE MAF?

It does run relatively well but I feel as though it doesn't have the power it should, especially in the upper end. I seem to get a two stage power curve instead of a smooth transition through the gear and RPMs.

If so (having the wrong manifold or MAF), what performance decrease could I expect as opposed to having the KLZE manifold? Can I overcome any performance decrease by getting my ECU programmed by Probinator? If not, where is the best buy on a KLZE intake?

Also, on the ECU - would a Probinator ECU program be comparable to the more expensive JET ECU work?

Many thanks!
            Last edited by cg_fin_007; June 15, 2007, 05:02 AM.

Comment

im confused did u buy a full ZE and swap it in? or jus parts of the ZE? i believe that the MAF sensor is the same no matter wat. all the sensors should b the same as the ones on ur DE. and the probinator chip will do the exact thing the J spec ECU will do. it has more aggresive VRIS points and fuel mapping for the ze. really wakes it up!
              1993 Black PGT-ZE 96-97 conversion
              -Rebuilt ZE,CAI,SSAC Headers,2.5 in exhaust, Magnaflow high flow cat, Greddy SP1 muffler
              .NGK.coil overs.STS.Poly inserts.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The swap included the entire engine. I am not sure about any parts left over from the DE that would have worked on the ZE - which is really the basis of my question. In fact, they used one valve cover from the old engine and left the front Mazda valve cover on the new engine. I have the DE valve cover for the front and I will be swapping that out as well. I have no clue as to why they did that. But it does support that they used minor parts from the DE for the ZE.

Regarding your advice on the ECU, which has the more aggressive VRIS and mapping - the Probinator chip or the JET chip?

KevinD - I recall you assisted me much on the purchase of this engine about 1.5 years ago. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
                Last edited by cg_fin_007; June 15, 2007, 05:04 AM.

Comment

i thought the only one they had was 2.7
                  Threadjack - Where can I get some info on the stroker kit? Is there a thread or a vendor with more info?
                  "Built Ford tough... with Mazda stuff"

Ultrasonic Blue Mica 1993 Probe GT-ZE- [Sold]

Black 1997 Acura 3.2TL
                  - bone stock daily driver.

Comment

I can't believe I even read this

the search button works extremely well...

Ze's work fine on de computers, and its a VAF and not a MAF- VAF's measure volume and work off of the engines response( it moves) as MAF's measure mass or density ... they work very differantly... And at WOT- the vaf doesn't meter anything past WOT, its all off a set table within the ecu... The ZE benefits with more fueling, but who knows where? noone except mazda..

dropped valves are as common as a sixth finger.

Comment

De vs. ZE valve covers? Throttlebody?

Has anyone used the DE valve covers on the ZE engine? I swapped the front cover out today (the ZE cover that came with the engine was cracked). Upon installation, we realized there is a breather tube (?) on the front of the ZE cover that is not on the DE. It ports out the front of the cover, parallels the cover lip along the right front, and extends toward the rear of the engine along the right side of the cover, connecting to a rubber house. I have photos of the ZE cover with masking tape highlighting the tube in question (however, I could not find the command to post pictures in this thread. I can send them to anyone interested in answering the question).

I stopped at Ford and they thought it was a breather tube for the EGR system. They could not verify if the rear valve cover had a breather tube and stated that if it did not, dangerous levels of pressue could build, thus blowing gaskets. I brought the PGT home and parked it immediately.

So:
                      A) What is it?
                      B) What does the opposite end attach to?
                      C) Does the ZE require this tube whereas the DE did not?
                      D) Has anyone modified a DE valve cover to incorporate this tube or would it be better to obtain another ZE valve cover?
                      E) if the latter, does anyone have one they wish to sell?

Regarding throttle bodies, does anyone have suggestions for replacement, wither from another vehicle using the engine but had a bigger throttle body or is there a better aftermarket product?

Thanks! Chris

PS Just a note that even though I love this site and have been posting and reading it for many years, a system for ordering of thread titles leaves a lot to be desired regarding efficient location of specific subject threads. In other words, many of us don't have the time to read through every thread of every post that comes up even AFTER PROPERLY USING THE SEARCH function. Thanks to all of you who undertsand this and respond despite the fact that the question may have been answered in the obscurity of another thread and realize that some people have to take time off from their careers to even have time to complete such minor modifications and accompanying research.
                      Last edited by cg_fin_007; September 14, 2007, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Neither require the tube... Mazda took it off of the newer engines. Its part of the PCV system.

If you wish, You can just plug up both ends, ie. where it starts and stops and be done with it

Comment

Many thanks Tybrones!

I won't have to worry about the front port as the DE valve cover does not have it and I currently have a plug and clamp on the beginning of the rubber hose where the metal feeder tube would have connected to....

Sounds like I guessed right

Comment

Originally posted by cg_fin_007
                            PS Just a note that even though I love this site and have been posting and reading it for many years.

For shame on you, you should be far more active and share your thoughts in thread more. If you love the site so much, you will love many of the people.

George

PS:
                            Originally posted by FAQS
                            The KLZE - This is really the only true/beneficial engine swap upgrade for our cars. It is a 2.5 V6, found in a few Japan marketed Mazda cars, it boasts 190 - 197hp (dependant of year), and 160ft/lbs. Essentially the same as the stock KLDE, getting it's higher power output thanks to slightly more aggressive cams, higher compression pistons (10.0:1 compared to the DE's 9.2:1), better flowing intake manifold and heads, and a slightly more performance oriented ECU.
                            Last edited by CrimSon_ReD; July 13, 2007, 01:20 PM.
                            Artist, Writer, Photographer, Video Producer, Daddy!

Official Facebook page for Me, Myself and I

Comment

Originally posted by pile_of_rd1
                              IIRC the highest NA HP a KL has ever put down was ~210 and to give you an idea of how modded that probe was it rev'd to 11k, a P&P, high compression stroker KL will not net over 200WHP.
                              Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
                              Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
                              R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
                              I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

Working...
                              X