Dying interior: Review of ColorBond dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying interior: Review of ColorBond dye

Just thought I'd post a review of this dye I just tried. I tryed dying my seats on my Del Sol a few months ago with the stuff from autozone.. the results were horrible. The color was patchy, and it didn't make any of the fade less obvious. I was at WalMart looking for some accent paint for my dash, and I saw this ColorBond stuff. I originally wanted to paint my panels black since they are half black, and half this ugly gray color that fades really easily. I figured since it was $7 at WalMart that it would be at least cost $14 at Autozone for a similar thing, and since it costed about 4 times more than the other stuff I tried before, it should work decent lol

I tried it, and it worked GREAT. I dyed my door panel, and several other interior panels. I would have done more, but I need to pick up another bottle or two tomorrow. It goes on easily, and drys completely in about 10 minutes. The original texture shows through, and it actually has a really nice feel to it when it drys.

I did 3 coats each on my door panel, a large panel that goes behind my seats, and the two speaker panels pictured with one bottle.

Here's a pic... the speaker grills were just painted black using Krylon Fusion plastic paint. The gray panel is what it originally looked like (dirty and faded... but you can't really tell from pic) and the black is after dying.

Last edited by 700mx6; February 29, 2004, 08:33 PM.

Re: Dying interior: Review of ColorBond dye

ive used dupli color in the past and ive redone my whole interior from red, to black using that stuff,....now when you are dying seats its going to take alot more, because the fabric soaks the dye in, and the foam and such...so just take your time and be patient
    BCARNEY
    97 Prelude Base
    Generic Intake/ HP Racing Headers/ HKS Super Dragger Exhaust/ Centerforce Stage 2 Racing Clutch/ 11lb Flywheel/ A'PEXi V-AFC/ 16 Inch Rota Slips (Bronze)/ Sumitumo HTRZ 2/ Mugen Replica Front/ Ground Control Coilovers/ KYB AGX Struts
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...365304_136.jpg

Comment

patience is a virtue when doing anything like this
      --MJ--
      --2006 Ford Fusion I4 SE--Tungsten Silver--6 Speed Auto--

Comment

Folietech. only way to go
        -Deven -
        Optical Illusion Database
        93 Probe Gt -
        http://www.myproxybrowser.comSurf the net 100% Anonymously!
        http://www.hidethenet.com Access blocked sites from work or school

Comment

I'd only recommend that FoliTech for the outside....I've heard it's not that great on interior parts
          --MJ--

Comment

Never colored the Probe before, but I used vinyl dye on another vehicle and it looked great! The best part is the texture of the vinyl or plastic is retained, without having fuzzy stuff from paint, or runs from paint.

Never understood why people painted their dashes, when dye is available.
            redeemed
            IndyProbes founder

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff L
              The best part is the texture of the vinyl or plastic is retained, without having fuzzy stuff from paint, or runs from paint.

Never understood why people painted their dashes, when dye is available.

People paint the dashes and other interior parts because the textured look is butt-ugly. and you don't run paint if you know how to spray it. Also what do you mean 'Fuzzy stuff ' from paint??

Comment

I don't know how else to describe it. I've just seen it on other cars and heard of people complaining that they had to sand multiple times to get rid of it.

The texture I was referring to is the original dash texture. Is this what you mean is butt-ugly? I always liked it, but that's just a personal preference.
                redeemed
                IndyProbes founder

Comment

i liek it... but how do you apply the dye, is it spray on or what?
                  Dave's an idiot

Comment

yes dye is sprayed on from a spray can...
                    92 probe GL ATX CAI in the works.....AAS bodykit , F2T MTX , its a start.....

Comment

it's like spraypaint but 100x better
                      --MJ--

Comment

is it possible to armorall over it ... and clean off without coming off?
                        Dave's an idiot

Comment

Is this stuff only being used on plastic parts or on the vinal areas too. I would mind diying my dash from grey to black or from black to grey just so its all one color. What would work best on the vinal parts of the dash?
                          Rio Red 97 Base. Lowered 2" sitting on Montegi 17" MR7'S. Preditor C/F hood. 2 10" MTX 6000's subwoofers powered by a 600wt Kennwood Amp w/ Jensen head unit. Soon to come: CAI, Camshaft, and Headers followed by new sparkpluga and wires.

Comment

Used for both. Read the label to double check though. Shouldn't come off with armor all.
                            redeemed
                            IndyProbes founder

Comment

Working...
                            X