Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about CV Axle Halfshafts

Ok I have a 96 FPSE 5 Speed.

Not expecting everyone to know this but when replacing the axles in our cars some people have experienced vibration under acceleration. Recently I replaced the passenger axle on my 93GT 5 speed MTX (trusting the auto parts guys who told me it would work.....and it did) but got vibration on acceleration right afterwards.

The good news is I know why now. Most auto parts stores will sell us an axle that's somewhat universal with other makes where the inner CV hub is of the tri-pod design. This is fine on the automatic transmission but causes vibration on the manual transmission during acceleration. I researched this in my Ford Probe Tech manual.

I can find a great deal on axles on ebay however most of the sellers don't show the actual part only a generic picture. When I ask about the design of the axle they have no clue what I'm talking about. They just say yes this part is compatible with your vehicle.

While I'm sure they'll work I want one that is just like the original inner CV with the 5 ball and socket design not the tri-pod style which will cause vibration. I would like to get a new versus a rebuilt.

I hope my description of what I'm looking for is good enough to understand what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know who sells the right style axle for my 5 speed that will not cause vibration issues? I would like to see what I am getting before I buy.
    1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
    1996 PSE 330K Miles
    http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
    Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

I have seen this before being an auto parts guy in the past. Since most axles are reman from A-1 cardone, autozone, oreillys and most of the rest all use A-1 your best bet is to call around and see who has one in stock and just go there your self to look at it.

If you call the parts store only 1 out of 10 people might know what your talking about. Most of those will be mom and pop stores that know what your asking. Better just go have a look yourself.
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

ended up going to oreillys and fortunately they had two variations of the axle. Both were noted for use on automatic and manual but both were different in design. The New Mazda one was the correct one and the remanufactured axle was the tri-pod style I didn't want.

Only issue with the Mazda axle was that it had the ABS ring on it. This vehicle does not have ABS so I just took a punch and tapped the ABS gear off the end of the shaft.

I plan to install if the weather ever gets warm. I need to do both sides. That should make for a nice work day of a few hours or so.
      1993 PGT 342K Miles - Sold
      1996 PSE 330K Miles
      http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701317615
      Proud Owner of a Senior Probe Here on PT!!!

Comment

Working...
      X