Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info. I was gonna try to make my own. I wasn't exactly sure how to, but with that I think I'll actually be able to. Thanks a lot.

Comment

sweet!!!!!!!

Well I had Home Depot cut the lengths for me, I got the 5 inch and the 6 inch, a 45 angle and a 90 angle with 6 clamps.

I then when to a locate performance shop and bought a Weapon R air filer.

I need to go back to the Home Depot though.......I got a 3 inch 90 angle with only one end being a female connector. Same for the 45 angle needs to be smaller on one end to go into the filter.

I also forgot to get the rubber sleeve.

So......

I can leave the original plastic angle from the throttle body to the VAF. Then connect the 5 inch striaght pipe with a rubber sleeve to the VAF. At the end of the 5 inch, I`m using the 90 angle to the 6 inch straight pipe, to the 45 angle into the filter.

Is this right?
      http://members.cardomain.com/maritimeprobegt

~UNDER CONSTRUCTION...RIP 02/21/03~

Comment

If I did want to cut the guard, should I just cut the place needed to fit the piping, or take of the whole guard.

Comment

If I remeber right I got a small reducer (with a threaded end) for the end of the 45 degree angle so the filter would fit. It was a very very tight fit but if you have some patience it will fit. As long as your doing all this you might as well do the throttle body elbow as well (it looks very restrictive to me) Use a 3" 90 degree rubber elbow cut one end off to fit on the TB and the other end slides right onto the VAF. You will also need a 1/2 " 90 degree elbow and a hose clamp cut a small hole in the side put in the 1/2" 90 degree elbo and connect the hose for your breater valve on the back of the elbow. Viaola an extra 5 bucks and you have a 3" custom CAI all the way to the TB
          My SRT-4
          Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

Nice, so as you said on your site, you don`t have the AEM bypass valve........I worried about water from puddles etc. splashing into the filter.

What if I left the filter on the inside of the guard rather than outside?

Comment

its all personal preferance I think. I have heard of many people driving through rain storms with no effect. But in truth It is something I wory about as well just havnt got around to getting one. Couple things you can do in the meantime if it rains remove the pipes and pit a filter directly on the VAF untill it drys out again. I have also heard of waterproof breathable bags by K&N that goes over the filter when its wet outside. Me... for now I just dont drive in puddles

As for not putting it under the splash gaurd IMO I think its better to put it closer to the ground for more cold air but probably factually it doesnt matter. I may be wrong though
              My SRT-4
              Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

Is there much of a difference performance wise if I kept the filter up close to the battery vs. on the ground?

Besides looks?

Comment

well like i said in my last post IMO further down means better performance. the whole idea of using a CAI is to get it as far as possible away from the engine bay heat.
                  My SRT-4
                  Sold, My Turbo 2g MX6

Comment

I just merged the 3 current HD CAI threads. PLEASE don't post anymore threads on this (it'd be pointless since I'll just merge them with this thread ).
                    '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                    '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

man some of you make this harder than it really is. I just took a "Fernco" (aka rubber sleeve) and clamped it to the ABs pipe, and the VAF. Then I bought all the correct ABS cuplers and put in a 90 degree bend to get down, and then a length of pipe, then a 45 degree bend to point the filter clear of the splash guard. Then mount the filter on the end and you're DONE! Cold Fresh air. and its also RIGID, so its easy to secure. I'd stay away from all of those rubber connectors, its just more chances for problems and it flexes too much! anyway thats just my 2 cents
                      97 GT, MTX, GReddy, MX3 Flywheel, Clutchmasters Clutch, Phenolic Spacers, Bored TB, Home Depot Racing CAI, AWR Motor Mounts, Short Throw Shifter, H4 Conversion, PIAA Fogs, Tokico's/Eibachs, Probetalk Sway Bar, Beautiful FACTORY Paint!

Comment

Hi Nos97pgt

Cant seem to see the pics, if possible can you please mail me pics of your setup

fazelmoosa@ananzi.co.za

Comment

Instead of screwing the pipes together, I think you should use that purple glue shit for PVC (air tight seal) Just a thought
                          95 GT-ZE MTX Arrow Silver -- Debadged -- Tinted -- H4s -- HS GenIV CAI -- PRD Wires -- Aluminum Painted IM -- Red Painted VCs -- Eibach ProKit -- Tokico Illuminas -- 17x7 Silver Konig“X” 5 Spokes -- Falken Ziex 225/45/17 -- Bendix Pads -- CM Stage 1 -- ebay headers -- RT Hi-Flow Cat -- BORLA Cat-Back -- OE Phenolic Spacers -- All Premier System
                          http://photos.imageevent.com/rscummi...y/COMP-web.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz006
                            Instead of screwing the pipes together, I think you should use that purple glue shit for PVC (air tight seal) Just a thought

The Purple stuff isn't glue, it's PVC Primer. Which softens up the PVC for better fit. You still need to use PVC glue(Normally clear, or blue) as the glue. I'm a plumber by trade and use the stuff everyday.

Also to the post on water getting into the engine with the C.A.I.
                            I had one on my 1993 Base ATX with no problems in the time I owned it from Sept. 2000 to Sept 2001 before selling it for a PGT. And have now had one in my 1993 PGT MTX for 6 months with no problems.
                            And also as mentioned in my above paragraph, it can be done for Base's and GT's. As long as you know what you're doing.

And Thanks NOS97PGT for your write-up.
                            It saves me from writing an essay everytime someone new comes on the board. Now I can give them the link.
                            Jonathan Seifert
                            93 PGT, 1st AAS kit in the east, alot more mods than most, Robin's egg blue custom paint.(SOLD)
                            05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
                            11 Toyota Rav4
                            NPA!

Comment

Originally posted by jello_17602

And Thanks NOS97PGT for your write-up.
                              It saves me from writing an essay everytime someone new comes on the board. Now I can give them the link.
                              I do what I can.....
                              Just my petty contribution to the greater good.....

Comment

I have a 93pgt and i was looking into doing this same thing but there is a lower radiator hose in the way what do i do about that?

Comment

Working...
                                X