Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > Racing/Suspension

Racing/Suspension Drag Racing, AutoX, Road Racing and Suspension.

July 2nd, 2001, 10:51 PM   #1
Gambino1
Supercharged Member

: Dec 2000
: Nuevo Mexico
: 1,017
my front struts are blown and i was wondering if i should replace the rear ones too and get new springs i need to keep the car pretty stock as far as suspension because i have a steep driveway and will scrape if i slam it i am just going to get new struts at pep-boys

July 3rd, 2001, 05:28 AM   #2
lilredprobe91lx
PT Regular

: Jun 2001
: SC
: 584
:
On Tuesday July 3, 2001 12:51 AM, Gambino1 wrote:
my front struts are blown and i was wondering if i should replace the rear ones too and get new springs i need to keep the car pretty stock as far as suspension because i have a steep driveway and will scrape if i slam it i am just going to get new struts at pep-boys
Well I don't know about Pep Boys but . . . You probably should replace all your struts at the same time unless you have real reason to believe one was damaged by itself. Anyway, unless the others are basically new, you should still replace them in pairs at the minimum. If they all have the same amount of miles on them and you are unhappy with their current state, you should replace all of them. The difference in their performance to replace one or two might be more of a danger than a help.

Springs you only need to replace if you really feel that they are sagging . . . this could be caused be extended use with heavy loads, or just a huge number of miles and/or age. Most folks here tend to replace their springs for lowering . . . either for looks and/or handling. I don't know if anyone makes a "stock height" stiffer spring.

Hope that helps,

Dave
91 Probe LX - Mainly Stock (Other than for the growing number of "Repaired" parts . . . ) >> It performed its duty well through 4/2007 - Now I'm moving on to other things, but it will always be fondly remembered. Thanks to everyone at PT.

July 4th, 2001, 05:11 AM   #3
pse1232
PT Know it All

: Nov 2000
: Malden, MA
: 3,868
just get a pair of KYB struts for the front and install them yourself. that would be the cheapest
'02 Subaru Impreza WRX. Not For Sale!

July 5th, 2001, 09:22 PM   #4
Brian Berryhill
Donating Member

: Feb 2000
: Lynchburg, VA, USA
: 1,520
There's a few people with custom GC kits running long stiff springs that is close to the stock ride height, but much stiffer.

If your struts are shot, even some cheap Autozone replacements would be better than nothing. Replacing the fronts would be most noticeable, but I would recommend all 4.

« | »

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.