Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed. I'm very new to KL motors. After spending months reading PT and other forums, then searching eBay, I finally pulled the trigger on a ZE from Tiger. Upon receiving the engine and pulling the valve cover, I found it was not only exactly what I wanted, but maybe the cleanest engine I've ever seen.

Comment

• Being Tiger, let me guess, No KL31 cams? As they really like selling curve neck motors there instead of full ZE's. lol
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

• Actually, it came with KL31 cams!

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

If it hadn't, my original post wouldn't have been nearly as positive.

Comment

• Tiger japan, In Toronto, Ontario, Canada? That's where I bought my trnasmission/axles
          97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

• Yes...that's the place. Engine wasn't cheap, but it seems to be exactly what I wanted, and in great shape.

Comment

• This is very helpful I've been putting a lot of thought into maybe buying a ze but idk if I'm going to go that way or just build my de. I will be posting about this matter for more advice on the klze vs klde thread.

Comment

• And can we all pretty much agree on this as far as the 2.5 KL engines coming from Japan?

JDM KL-ZE - Straight Neck, KL31 heads, KL31 Cams, 10:1 C/R, KL31 TB ~ 199hp
                JDM KL-ZE - Curved Neck, KL31 Heads, KL01 Cams, 10:1 C/R, KL68 TB ~ 190hp
                JDM KL-DE - Curved Neck, KL01 Heads, KL01 Cams, 10:1 C/R, KL68 TB ~ 182hp

I am basing my 182 hp rating of the JDM DE off of my own calculations and feedback that others have given me. What I really wish is for some bastard to do a baseline run on a stock probe with a JDM DE and no bolts-ons, with a dead-on ECU and give us a power rating, but I'm 95% sure we're in the 2-3hp ballpark of the HP rating for this engine that so many seem to have gotten as of late. I'll tell you what though, I don't mind if they make a little less power, they're ballsy in the mid-range and have you seen some of the curve necks shipped out in recent years? Almost every single one is cleaner than shit. I like the piece of mind of a clean engine over missing out on 15-17 hp of a "true" ZE.

Also FWIW, there are 2 different curved neck Intake Manifolds, IIRC only difference between the two is a slight casting ridge along the top of the plenum. The one with the ridge is (from what I've seen) only on KL31 headed curve necks. The one without is either from a JDM KL-DE or a U.S. Millenia, both with KL01 heads. Someone correct me on this if they've seen different.
                Last edited by whoohaaxl; October 1, 2015, 08:07 AM.
                1994 PGT-ZE Rio Red MTX. Grey Leather. Intake, Header, HFC, 2.5" Cat-back, Mazda 6 BBK, RR Mounts, HEI, 1997 Taillights, XTD Stage 3, STS, Exedy Clutch M/C. Fully Loaded Daily Driver with A/C.

Comment

Working...
                X