Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Stock GT Exhaust resonator

Ok guys,

So after sitting for about a year I've decided that I wanted to get my ole girl back on the road. Got the engine back to purring last night so this morning I've taken it in to get new exhaust and tires put on. I was VERY adamant to the guy that I wanted it to sound like a straight from factory exhaust (which was what was on there minus what had fallen off in the street years ago when I parked it). I told him I knew it need a new resonator but I wanted to be sure I could keep the stock sound. Well he's just called and said it was ready for pickup and I started her up and you can barely even here the thing run. I mean that sweet stock exhaust sound is no longer there. You can't even hear the thing idling really. Can any of you guy give me some insight on what part number or type of resonator comes on the 94 GTs stock? Although the exhaust looks good, I'm quite dissatisfied because it now sounds like a Camry.......bummed out...

A Thrush Turbo universal muffler from you local Otto Zone in place of the resinator and a decent muffler sounds pretty good. They are long and red and look just like the resinator. Looks like the old cherry bombs.
    Last edited by yellowrob; April 23, 2014, 07:54 AM. Reason: add
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Just to be clear I used the original stock muffler so I know it's not an issue with the muffler.

Comment

went back over and talked to him and he said "that's exactly the way they sound stock"......ummm, nah. I know what the car I've been driving since 1994 sounds like and it's not that. Oh well, guess it's time to start investigating what type of muffler to get to help it out. I'm bummed out honestly. You can't even hear it running even when accelerating. Not a happy customer.

Comment

Did you have him make the exhaust or did he buy one and put it on?

Comment

it was an exhaust / muffler place so I'm assuming he made it. However 85% of my existing exhaust was fine and he reused it. From my headers past my CC was fine, broke about 3" behind my CC. About a 2 foot section was missing (on the road somewhere in a ditch I guess). From what I gather this was where my factory resonator was. Then from there back was fine until about an inch before my muffler and it was broke again. He replace basically from a couple inches behind my cat all the way until right before my muffler. So most of what is on there is still stock but you literally cant even hear it idle now it's so quiet. That distinctive V6 Probe sound is gone, just sounds like a grocery getter 4 banger now. I'm trying to decide what to do. I will drive it like this for awhile, and it may sound stupid to a lot of you guys but my exhaust has always been completely bone stock and I've always loved the purr it puts off but it's no longer there. Thinking of taking it somewhere else and see if they have any input on how to get it back to "stock" sound.

Comment

Why don't you just order a walker exhaust system and put it on or have it put on

Comment

well I don't have a problem with doing that Bergz0. I just want to know that will give me the stock sound I'm looking for. Is that what some Probe owners use to replace their stock exhaust when it hits the fan. I'm no gear head for sure so I'm just trying to decide what the best options would be. I'm more the get in it and drive it type of guy and let somebody smarter than me fix it. That's why i'm asking you guys that know tons more than me. :-)

I'm not sure if we can post ebay links but it looks like this may be what I need then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Reso...707f4a&vxp=mtr
                Last edited by West1977; April 23, 2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah that'd be it man. I have a greddy sp2 exhaust on my car. I like my car to have a little bark

Comment

okay so now that I'm home away from the office I've dug a little further. The receipt says part number A-3522b which in my search brings up a Summit Racing part www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-a3522b which from what I'm assuming he just put on there as a "that'll suit him" part although I was very adamant wanting the factory tone. Okay so that leaves me do I go be a &$%* and complain or just eat the install, order this part (the Walker exhaust), install it myself and take it like a man. Maybe he would buy this muffler back? haha From what I see it seems like this Walker pipe just bolts at each end which even I could do. I just have to make sure I get one for a 94 like I posted above as I noticed earlier I was accidentally on a 97' and it wasn't compatible. I'm really wishing I would have gotten on here earlier before jumping the gun but hey you learn some the hard way. However, I did get her home (quietly) and even got some new rubber put on her this afternoon to boot. After 1 year of sitting (occasionally starting though) I can tell she needs a little love but she will come around. I'm interested in opinions. Thanks for the help guys. Oh and I should add. After crawling under the car when I got home it does look like the exact thing he installed so I think my Summit link above proved to be correct.
                    Last edited by West1977; April 23, 2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

As to the Walker resonator pipe you talked about above, I put that on my car. I used the Walker universal cat and Walker Sound FX muffler. Overall the car is quiet, but I can hear the motor purr as you mentioned. No drone whatsoever, especially up-hill. I got the parts from Summit Racing on line.
                      Daily driver = 95 Probe GT ATX
                      Weekend warrior = 76 Firebird Formula 400
                      Winter transportation = 97 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee

Comment

Yeah just unbolt and bolt the new one up

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will just go ahead and order it and see what she sounds like. Are their any other opinions on any other piece or setups that would make it sounds as close to factory sound as possible or do most agree this would be the best replacement.

Comment

see what happens with the resonator pipe first and go from there. your next and only thing left would be the muffler since from the cat up to the manifolds are good i assume

Comment

correct and the muffler is still the original and hasn't been replaced so I know it's good.

Comment

Working...
                              X