Any good links on rebuilding the KL engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good links on rebuilding the KL engine

just curious i've been stumbling across stuff here and there but im just getting more confused. looking for some good links on detailed builds for me to review and research.

i came across using milli s rods, and kl with stoker kits etc.
    1993 built ZE/DE n2o 2380lbs probe GT = parted out 2004
    1996 klze mx-3

I don't think you will find any specific guides.

What are you looking for?

What are your goals?
    ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

just wanted to see what set-ups people have built in the last 10year on the KL engines

i seen people building with Millenia S rods, some people making stroker kits with honda rods and pistons, i'm just curious what set ups are considered reliable and cheaper to build.

as for my goals i'd like to to do a build that pushes i'd like to push 300-350whp with boost and maybe do a 100 shot on the side just for the added wow factor which would be once in a blue moon.
      Last edited by crazyprobe; April 15, 2016, 06:11 PM.
      1996 klze mx-3

Comment

For 300 whp there is no point in building a motor. Turbo it, megasquirt , and replace transmissions as needed.
        1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Yeah but how reliable would a ze be boosted to 300-350whp and with an added 100 shot.
          Last edited by crazyprobe; April 16, 2016, 05:09 AM.
          1996 klze mx-3

Comment

Originally posted by crazyprobe View Post
            Yeah but how reliable would a ze be boosted to 300-350whp and with an added 100 shot.
            no need for nitrous if only going 300 wheel with turbo

if you gonna use nitrous then build the motor for more power than what your goal is

also you ask how reliable well having a reliable car is all about quality parts and the mechanic who puts the parts together
            Last edited by P1P; April 16, 2016, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with nitrous. Boost is a never ending supply of hp.

The klze should hold 300 whp fairly well with a good tune on megasquirt.

Justin made over 400 whp on his stock klze boosted.
              1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

I don't really want to run around the streets in summer with 400plus HP ride it would be such a waste of gas. Good to know that the ZE can handle 300whp with a good tune.
                1996 klze mx-3

Comment

I don't really want to run around the streets in summer with 400plus HP ride it would be such a waste of gas. Good to know that the ZE can handle 300whp with a good tune.

i would swap out the kl rods for at least millenia s rods

always build a car above what you hp goals are it will last longer
                  Last edited by P1P; April 16, 2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's the plan I wouldn't feel comfortable running on the stock rods for too long that's for sure that's why I'm curious about links to some good info.

-milli S rod set ups
                    - 302 rod set ups (which is the way I went the first time just forged)
                    - the 2.7l stroker set ups with b16 rods and B20 pistons.

I found a 2.7stoker set up for sale for $1k but like to learn more about it, also my old set up may be available I'd just love to do some research on each setup that's available
                    Last edited by crazyprobe; April 16, 2016, 03:14 PM.
                    1996 klze mx-3

Comment

Strokers and bores are a waste of money.
                      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

yeah see i'd love to see the info on why. i know i was talking to the machine shop last week and they just said it's alot cheaper just to get replacement parts as soon as they have to do anything it's going to cost money. so bore the block or grinding hte crank means it will make bring up the cost drastically compared to just having forged OEM parts that they just put together
                        1996 klze mx-3

Comment

block - DE or ZE either is fine
                          head - ZE
                          rods - millenia
                          pistons - wiseco
                          bearing - clevite
                          studs - arp
                          fuel - upgrade you fuel pump, fpr, and injectors
                          ems - that's your choice
                          oil pump - shim 3mm
                          turbo - t3/t4
                          wastegate - your choice
                          bov - your choice
                          head gasket
                          mechanic - someone that knows what they doing

these are some of the things you will need but it is not all

stroking the motor and nitrous is really not necessary for the type of power you want

and that 100 shot of nitrous -

P1P: What are you smiling about?

CrazyProbe: Dude, I almost had you!

P1P: You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car! Granny shiftin', not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake. Almost had me? Now me and the mad scientist (Brizzy) lol gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried! Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning. crowd roars
                          Last edited by P1P; April 17, 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
                            block - DE or ZE either is fine
                            head - ZE
                            rods - millenia
                            pistons - wiseco
                            bearing - clevite
                            studs - arp
                            fuel - upgrade you fuel pump, fpr, and injectors
                            ems - that's your choice
                            oil pump - shim 3mm
                            turbo - t3/t4
                            wastegate - your choice
                            bov - your choice
                            head gasket
                            mechanic - someone that knows what they doing

these are some of the things you will need but it is not all

stroking the motor and nitrous is really not necessary for the type of power you want

and that 100 shot of nitrous -

P1P: What are you smiling about?

CrazyProbe: Dude, I almost had you!

P1P: You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car! Granny shiftin', not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake. Almost had me? Now me and the mad scientist (Brizzy) lol gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried! Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning. crowd roars
                            You wouldn't happen to know the PN for the Clevite 77 Main Bearings? I can only find the single metal part number.
                            ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

yeah see i'd love to see the info on why. i know i was talking to the machine shop last week and they just said it's alot cheaper just to get replacement parts as soon as they have to do anything it's going to cost money. so bore the block or grinding hte crank means it will make bring up the cost drastically compared to just having forged OEM parts that they just put together
                              The reason bore/ stroking an engine is a waste of time or money is that 1) You now have an engine that can no longer take OEM pistons, which means if you somehow crack a piston, you have to buy the same size pistons that you had before and there's no guarantee they'll still be available. 2) its a lot of time and money to do it and (imo) unless you're looking into racing either as an enthusiast or professionally, its not worth it and 3) when you bore out the cylinders, you're also reducing the thickness of the metal in-between cylinders, which will affect their structural integrity. Combine that with more boost and nos and you increase your chances of damaging your block. I'm not saying its impossible and there is no way to safely bore/stroke the KL, just be careful and find a reputable machine shop who know what they're doing.

This is when I like to rely on the PPR rule where PPR stands for Performance, Price, Reliability. The rule says that if a car's price (sticker or money spent on mods) is low and its high performance, then its not going to be reliable, if its high performance and highly reliable its not going to be cheap, if its cheap and highly reliable, its not going to be high performance.

So really, when you mod your car for more power, you are trading away a part of its reliability and the only way to have both is to spend some major $$$.

Comment

Working...
                              X