This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kov View Post

*Be sure that before you do this fix, you check all your connections to and from your airbag computer. Check to see if any of the outside sensors have been tripped or wires snipped or grounding. If they are and you do this fix, the minute you plug it in and turn the car on, the fuse will blow. Make sure this is the only code you are getting!
    How do I check to see if any outside sensors have been tripped? I got the wires snipped or grounding part, but not sure where to look to check the sensors.
    Jeff - 94 Probe GT - 2nd owner - Stock but just getting started, but limited budget
    Todo:HEI mod asap/Install my Injen cold air intake, valve cover gaskets, possibly head gasket
    Planned:G4 IM/Bored TB/High flow cat/Cat back exhaust/17 or 18 inch rims /Mazdaspeed rotors and brakes front/Protege brakes back with e-brake (MTX here)/Sleepy mod/Sensei Body Kit w/hood/Someday would like to switch to ZE

Comment

Just did this and...it didn't work!

I just tried this. The original thermal fuse showed resistance similar to the new one, so I was doubtful it would work.

So I decided to replace it anyway. I was very careful not to allow the new thermal fuse to get even warm to the touch. Soldered it up, checked the resistance across the fuse from the next connection in the circuit on each end, good to go.

Plugged it in...turned the key...and
      my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Thanks for this write-up!

Okay, this is a good write-up. It made for an easy fix. No more flashing 5 /1 air bag light!

Follow the directions, and you can't go wrong! (Well, it sure worked for me!)

Thanks,

Peter

Comment

Thanks for this write-up. I got the code 51 after replacing the distibutor and charging the battery (do not know why this caused it to happened), anyway with this write up and excellent pics I got rid of the code. When I first saw the circuit board it looked different due to that "cover" over the thermal fuse but removing that I got to the fuse. Perhaps you should include the pic with the cover over the fuse on the first post.

Comment

Airbag Code #51 Fix

Thanks for posting this fix! Did it myself today. I don't have much experience soldering but managed through it.

Comment

Great walk through... THANKS!!!

Comment

personally I would of removed the old fuse, melt 2 small grooves that wires can lay in and installed one of these

solder each end of the fuse holder to each hole where the onboard fuse was.

that way if it ever blows again, it would only take a couple seconds to change

Comment

Got a code 51 driving home last night

so this thread was a real timesaver. Two questions: is the fuse actually touching the resistor? ( Haven't pulled the box yet since I don't have the parts yet) Second, what is the routing and location to the sensor(s) I need to check before fixing the fuse. Thanks for the help.
                  Last edited by 95FordProbe; January 29, 2012, 06:14 PM.
                  '95 PGT purchased new.

Comment

Thete is 4 sensors total 1 at drivers side front 1 on the hood latch support 1 on pass front and the main one under the dash you have to pull the whole a/c heater box out to get to and the wires for the pass side sensor and airbag run behind there as well, i know this because i just pulled all of them off today and yesterday from the parts car
                    95 PGT white dd klze / mtx fidanza,maf swapped obx headers 2 1/2" mandrel bent 14.3 sec 1/4mile time
                    94 PGT blue toy de/ze/g4 hybrid/ mtx turbo 5- 10 psi maf swapped aem piggy back, fidanza mandrel bent exaust
                    93 PGT red klde/mtx klg4 intake,wild orchid interior
                    97&94&93 PGT gone
                    DALE

Comment

How do u do an airbag removal for driver and passenger side airbags? Link to a thread I havent found maybe? thanks in advance.

Comment

Air bag control module

I have been reading your picture instructions with great interest ob replacing the thermal fuse on a ABCM. I have no doubt that I can replace that fuse since in a former life I owned a TV repair shop.

The thing that I am having trouble with is I can not find my ABCM on my 2004 F150 that has a column shift. I have looked for it everyplace I can see under the steering column. Do you have any ideas? Thanks a lot, Bill

Comment

Air bag control module

Does anyone know where the ABCM is located on a 2004 F150 with a column shift. I can not locate it under the left front dash. Bill

Comment

Just did this on my '94. Worked great.
                            '94 Probe Originally 2.0L, MTX - Now KL-DE 2.5L, MTX
                            KL-ZE Intake manifold, Custom 3" intake w/ velocity stack, OBX headers, Mandrel Exhausts Systems 2.25" w/ 18" resonator and Borla muffler
                            Megasquirt 2, Wasted spark

Comment

Many thanks Kov

Just finished this repair after following each step to the letter (including the beer at the end ) and what a nice sight to NOT see that Air Bag light start flashing.

Well done Kov. You are a among men.

Comment

I did it too, and the code went out for a glorious couple of minutes... Now I have a code 13, any suggestions.
                                Last edited by Tomcat_AL200; April 19, 2014, 09:16 PM. Reason: Subscribed
                                1994 Ford Probe GT Rio Red MTX "Christine"
                                KL-ZE swap, Xtremethings ECU, Fram Cold Air Intake, Tru-Bendz 2.5" SS Exaust, Maniac Electric Motors 140 amp alternator, Alpine-Sony-Blaupunk Stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X