Hunting/surging idle at cold start and a hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting/surging idle at cold start and a hesitation

Developed a problem that includes an idle that drops down to around 400 RPMs then goes back up from cold start. Also has a definite tip in hesitation as soon as it's given gas. Getting no codes and disconnecting various sensors doesn't improve anything. Also will backfire into the intake depending on how fast the throttle is applied.

Hooked up a vacuum gauge and it's a steady 15 in/hg which is low. Plugs are in good shape as are the wires. Distributor has been replaced and still no change. This has been steadily getting worse as it used to just hesitate but now the cold start idle is hunting.

Probably the TPS or vaf.
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Cold start would make me think iac
      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

ahem..iacv...clean..or replace yolo
        I've Been Probed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
          Cold start would make me think iac
          IAC cause throttle hesitation as well?

Comment

It can.

It changes your idle speed for all different kinds of situations. Like when turning at idle , ac, and cold starts
            1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Today it started and idled fine. Also noticed that the hotter the engine got, the better it ran. But it feels really low on power like it can't breathe.

Comment

OK, I've come across a big vacuum leak at the throttle body and also the IAC. Took everything off and apart to clean it and now it's got a huge vacuum leak especially where the IAC attaches to the throttle body.

Comment

Did you change the gasket? You can use a little rtv.

Comment

Didn't change the gasket and used RTV. Thing has a huge leak and when I took it apart, noticed dried coolant all over the gasket. Not just where coolant passes through.

It's a KL47 throttle body BTW. On a KLG4 intake.
                    Last edited by jimtash; August 3, 2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

still having issues? ever figure it out? I'm having a similar issue, thought it was iac but replaced and still same except mine is better when cold worse when warm and only under 3k rpm
                      96 PGT kl~ze, aeromotive fpr, pacesetter long tube headers, prd cold-air, hei mod, msd blaster 2 coil, custom grind colt cams, clutchmasters stage II R, b&m short throw, solid motor mounts, custom 2.5" exhaust, sensei v1 body kit fully molded w/ custom front bumper, lowered 1.8" thanks to intrax, front strut brace, rear 22mm sway bar, moog end links, tan leather and 17" cobra rims...

Comment

How old is your vacuum?

Comment

I got it running much better. Still has a slight hesitation though and the RPM's drop down when the AC is first switched on. Replaced the alternator belt along with the harmonic balancer because it was wobbly. Base timing was also adjusted because the old balancer was off.

Comment

Working...
                          X