Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome information, hope you have a good season, keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
      Is the FE DOHC motor legal in ITB with the 1g Probe?
      Ummm No... Not really no..
      Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
      MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
      Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

What about a 2nd gen 2.0 5 speed? I've been away from SCCA for about 8 years. I used to run an 88 Iroc Z Camaro 5.0 5 speed and would love to get back into it.

Comment

Nowthat's a question I've been pondering as well. Would be a good handling sexy lil beastie...

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

Originally posted by 93SE5Speed View Post
            What about a 2nd gen 2.0 5 speed? I've been away from SCCA for about 8 years. I used to run an 88 Iroc Z Camaro 5.0 5 speed and would love to get back into it.
            Pretty easy I think.

I figure its a 2-step process. First, have the 93-97 4cyl MX6 classed. The engine and chassis are predecessors for the last generation Protege. It is slightly lighter(fewer doors, etc)with better aero, but with a less optimized F-series engine (although you could argue that the intake manifold on the earlier FSs offer better potential to the motor). So kinda even. Once thats done, its a quick segue to the Probe being the chassis/drivetrain "twin" to the MX6. (There is already a precedent for this as the V6 MX6/Probe is classed in ITS at the same weight)

All in all, It looks like the 4-cyl will be an ITA car. Weight would be about 2350lbs, pretty much what the Proteges are floating around at.

Send a letter to the ITAC and have it classed. Should be pretty easy since there is a well known car classed and a template(Protege>MX6>Probe) to work backwards from.

Gavin

Comment

since it appears that no one has gotten back to this, here are the 2009 SCCA classifications:
              Code:
              Car        Years     Engine     Weight   Class   Notes
              Probe      93-97   2.5L v6     2570      ITS     also 626, MX-6
              MX-3       92-98    1.8L v6     2510     ITA
              Probe      89-92    2.2L I4     2530     ITB     also MX-6
              626        93-97    2.0L I4     2550     ITB
              if anyone has the NASA classifications, that would be good.

Comment

Car_________Year_______comp ratio___wheel___brakes f / r_____Class
                Mazda mx6____93___________9.2________15_____disc / disc ______ITS
                Probe GT______ "____________ " ______15/ 16______" / "_________ ITS

MX-3 _____________________9.2_________15_______disc / disc______ITA
                Toodles, Stacey_B --++=1st Gens not slow!=++-- FallGuy
                MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR Stacey_B AOL IM: SCCAStaceyIB - SCCA RS - Solo2 (FSP) "Girls Do It Better" Cal Club www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life. Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT. Hagopian/Bertran
                Sponsors: Porterfield Racing Brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Auto-Meter

Comment

Originally posted by bob k. mando View Post
                  since it appears that no one has gotten back to this, here are the 2009 SCCA classifications:
                  Code:
                  Car        Years     Engine     Weight   Class   Notes
                  Probe      93-97   2.5L v6     2570      ITS     also 626, MX-6
                  MX-3       92-98    1.8L v6     2510     ITA
                  Probe      89-92    2.2L I4     2530     ITB     also MX-6
                  626        93-97    2.0L I4     2550     ITB
                  if anyone has the NASA classifications, that would be good.
                  huh? that info's been around for a couple of years now.
                  ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Cool,

What would be the class for an 89'PGT with suspension & performance mods be in for Solo?
                    Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedMan View Post
                      Cool,

What would be the class for an 89'PGT with suspension & performance mods be in for Solo?
                      depends upon the mods. check out the rulebook at scca.com.
                      ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Reviving the dead, but I just got an 89 probe gt-t. I use to own an svtfocus, and raced Autocross, well i was getting into it. I had eibach suspension, and a cf hood and got thrown into the STU class. Does anyone know what class the probe would be in? It's completely stock as of now, is like to get back into Autocross because I enjoyed it. Thanks.
                        89 Probe GT-T stock for now
                        94 swapped Civic (under construction)
                        98 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expedition
                        91 S10 blazer for sale make me an offer

Comment

A completely stock first gen Probe GT would be in GS (Stock class, renamed for next season to Street)
                          1990 Miata - Purpose built autocross machine / Summer DD...wait, that doesn't seem right
                          2000 Focus ZX3 - Winter DD
                          1992 Miata - Winter beater / parts car
                          1991 Probe LX - Exactly as reliable as it needed to be - Sold
                          1997 Probe 2.0 - DD / mildly under-prepared autox car - Officially dead at 230k

Comment

awesome, i appreciate it. are these cars competitive in AutoX? my SVTF wasnt very great with the competitors i was against.

Comment

I've never seen a first gen compete, but I imagine it could be fairly competitive if properly prepared for the class.
                              1990 Miata - Purpose built autocross machine / Summer DD...wait, that doesn't seem right
                              2000 Focus ZX3 - Winter DD
                              1992 Miata - Winter beater / parts car
                              1991 Probe LX - Exactly as reliable as it needed to be - Sold
                              1997 Probe 2.0 - DD / mildly under-prepared autox car - Officially dead at 230k

Comment

i'd like to upgrade tires and rims, and maybe later on throw a set of springs under it.

Comment

Working...
                                X