This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FE3 DOHC FAQ (JDM Engine Swap Info):

I was surfing mx6.com last week just when PT was down and it came back up and found a sticky post by evo626 for the completed idiot's guide to FE3's. I also noticed that the information here at PT is relatively scattered about. So, I put 2+2 together and decided to post the link to the mx6.com thread for everyone here to study.

evo626 spent a lot of time putting this together (noted by its completeness and accuracy) and it also has a lot of random questions answered by FE3 owners/tuners.

So, without further ado, here is the site link:
    http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=45728
    edit: fixed links - probesport

Long Live the 1st Gens!!!

edit: this is the link to the new thread by evo626:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread...threadid=58099
    edit: fixed links - probesport

Also, scroll down here and read some of the posts for additional information regarding the reliability of the FE3 engine.

Thanks again, evo!
    Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
    1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring
    "Let me hear you make decisions without your television."

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Thanks for the credit. Funny I'm sreach impired over here and have over a 1000 posts over at mx6.com.
    evo

Comment

Search impaired is merely just a label, as you know. Im sure you know where the search button is.
      1999 Chevy Tracker (daily driver)
      1966 Ford Mustang (the neverending project)
      1998 Yamaha FZR600 (track bike)
      2004 Suzuki GSXR750

Comment

My god! That post is amazing. Im one of those people who did a search and found about a billion and one useless sites. This should be a helpfull bit of reading
        Thanks for posting the link here
        Ford Probe GT'91:

K&N, UDP, Fidanza Flywheel, Race Concepts cross drilled/slotted F&R rotors, Goodridge SS lines, AutoMeter Gauges, Lo-Tek A-pillar pod, H4 conversion, 35F%20%R tinted, Andys Auto Sport Intimidator 2 Body Kit

Comment

evo626- You deserve the credit. As the last post by fpgt'91 proves, it is an excellent thread. Thanks for spending the time to put all that information together.

The only other question that really comes up, which I'm sure is on the minds of others as well, is the true abilities of the FE3(T).

A lot of people are beginning to doubt the current information. So, it would be great if anyone (ie,fallguy, evo626, etc...) to come forward to share their experience of the engine, its performance, benefits, downfalls, reliabilty, and their own first hand opinions of owning the FE3(T).

Just trying to save the credibility of the FE3(T) engine and the first gen community.
          Thank you in advance.
          Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.
          1G FAQ - A MUST READ for 1G's! ~ 1990 PGL = WRECKED! & Sold! ~ 2004 Nissan 350Z Touring

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

Despite what may be going on in Florida, I feel that the 2.0 FE DOHC will still be able to produce more power and is a better engine than the F2T. There are still many people out there that feel the FE engine is a great engine. For example, look at Randy's site ( www.solomiata.com ). There are many compairison photos on his site that will prove the FE DOHC's abilities. Then if you wish, check out Dan Godelfer's (turbomiata) cardomain site. He has a nice compairison of the FE DOHC's connecting rod compaired to a SR20's connecting rod. The difference is night and day.

So, please, dont discredit the engine due to ones possible bad business practices.
            1999 Chevy Tracker (daily driver)
            1966 Ford Mustang (the neverending project)
            1998 Yamaha FZR600 (track bike)
            2004 Suzuki GSXR750

Comment

Thanks for the update, VTEC_EATER. I wasn't trying to discredit the engine, but I had seen a number of owners/potential owners begin to question the engine's credibility. I figured that by answering that question, peeps can continue to invest in the engine and doing the swap.

BTW, the links you provided are outstanding!
              Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

Ok i read the whole thing but it don't say if i can keep that engine emission legal and jay b posted something about it about a week ago but i can't believe anything he says now.
                for sale:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/326784/5
                1990 Ford Probe GL (4 sale)
                05 mazda6 S

Comment

Fun enough to be sticky for awhile
                  Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
                  PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
                  1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
                  1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

Thanks for making this a sticky, Ken. BTW, the STS is awesome!

About emissions:
                    If I remember what I read correctly, there are two versions of the FE3 - one with a cat, one without. I would suspect that the one with the cat *should* pass the breath test with the proper ecu (FE3 or modified F2(T) ).

Otherwise, a stand-alone EMS will allow you to adjust your engine's performance characteristics enough to pass emissions.

Of course, since I do not have an FE3 (yet), I do not have verifyable proof of this. The only thing I am going off of is what I have read from other websites.
                    Pr0n - my Anti-Drug.

Enjoy PT? Support it.

Comment

What does EMS means? And how do i order the proper (for me)fe3? What i meant here is what kind or questions should i ask when ordering? And how about the ECU what would be the best way to go and where would i get one?
                      for sale:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/326784/5
                      1990 Ford Probe GL (4 sale)
                      05 mazda6 S

Comment

Originally posted by 1hookedupglnCT
                        What does EMS means? And how do i order the proper (for me)fe3? What i meant here is what kind or questions should i ask when ordering? And how about the ECU what would be the best way to go and where would i get one?
                        It's also known as the 'not a bad way to spend 10thousand dollars' mod

Engine Management System

a standalone system, controls all of the cars functions. fully programable. Prices start at about $900 for the cheaper ones.
                        www.MyrtleMadness.net

Comment

Yes the FE3 will pass emssions with proper tunning. IE sds or other engine management systems.

Also I have other sorces that can say that the FE3 is the real deal. It is all that it was said to be. I haven't seen once yet that has been built and maxxed out yet. I dont post here much but its always nice to see that my post on mx6.com carry over.
                          evo

Comment

The FE3 should be pretty easy to pass emissions, I just got certified in UT, and they are kind of a joke...I know all states are different, but it's not much harder to pass them anywhere else Just be sure to keep a good A/F ration, and keep combustion temps down, if done properly, you can get an engine to pass without a cat, or in my case EGR...

Comment

Wuz's up guys , my name is Andre and i live in Miami. I am new to this internet think. But I don't know if you know my car but I have the white mx-6 with the black bumper on 1stgen/mx6/probe chat.
                              I made 396 whp with that car and now i am making 472 whp with my new 1stGen Mx-6. If you have any question about the FE3T i will be glad to help you guys out. I see that you guys are talking about the EMS. Well, that is what i am running on my car and I also a distributor for EMS.

Comment

Working...
                              X