X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 Jdm Faq

2ND Gen 2.5 JDM FAQ

1. What is the KLZE?
    The KLZE: This is Mazda’s JDM version of the 2.5 liter engine found in the Probe/626/MX6. The engine shares a similar displacement, but makes 195-200 hp (year dependent). The ZE also has sports a different intake manifold, which is distinguishable by the “hump” in the back of the IM. Internally, the ZE uses a higher performance cam to help achieve the higher output levels. Redline in the ZE is also up from 7k to ~7300. The KLZE uses an external coil distributor, which needs to either be hooked up to an aftermarket system, or swapped out for the Aspec disty during the install. The ZE IMs are not tapped for EGR lines, which may be a problem if you live in a state with emissions testing. The ZE makes its power by combining all of these features; Higher CR- 10:1, Different timing/fuel curves, hotter cams, and a better flowing IM.

2. Where can I get a ZE
    http://www.probeparts.com/parts/?pid=00000017.000

3. So I’m getting the engine, problems with install?
    The engine itself is a direct drop in, the mounting points are the same. You might have an issue with fitting your cruise control around the extended “arm” connecting the TB, or hood clearance problem if you get a KLZE with the Eunos 800 IM on it. The Eunos 800 IM has a “unfinished” look, but flows the same (if not better) then more common MS8 ZE IM. As stated above, you will more then likely need to swap your disty, which is not difficult, as well as making the appropriate EGR connections if you want too (Note: You do not have to have functioning EGR in order to eliminate the CEL, simply plug the tube, but leave the IM untapped). Many members have also swapped their JDM TB for their Aspec unit, in order to cure rough idling with the ZE. The TBs are the same in all important aspects, swapping is only necessary if you are experiencing idle problems. The fuel rails are also identical, so there is no need to swap them. What will need your attention is the intermediate half-shaft bearing support. The bolt design is different from year to year. While the engine is out, you might as well replace your water pump, timing belt, and VCGs, simple preventative maintenance.

4. What’s this I keep hearing about the ECU?
    Because the ZE has different output then its American counterparts, the JDM ECU is fine tuned for the ZE. You do not need the JDM ECU in order to install/run a ZE. Most ZEs in the US right now run off of Aspec ECUs, so don’t worry about it if you don’t have the money to upgrade when you buy the engine. Running on the American ECU will probably cost you ~8 whp due to the different fuel and timing maps, as well as the altered VRIS switchover points. Ideally, you would want to get a stand-alone computer system, and fine tune everything for your particular car, but that is not a option for most, here are your other options.

1.Stay Aspec
    2.Custom burned chip from E.L. Prototypes, etc...
    3.Corksport’s ZE chip

All three choices have their advantages; just know that the ZE will not run to its full potential on an Aspec ECU.

7. Can ZEs be swapped into OBDII cars?
    Yes, but you will not be able to install a ZE ECU without some extensive rewiring

6. Anything else?
    ZEs have a tendency to run lean (at least in my experience). This could be taken care of with an ECU upgrade, or you could get an FPR and the appropriate gauges and up the pressure to ~40 psi (idle), and you’d probably be good.
    The Japanese market uses higher octane fuel, which is what the ZE was designed for, so make sure you don’t cheap out and try and put 87 into your ZE, it will not be happy. On the octane note...and just for fun...head out to the track one day, and pony up for a gallon of race gas, reset your ECU, then make a few runs and see if there is any difference in your times (Note: if your 02s aren’t bad, this will fry them and put a healthy coat on your cat, you’ve been warned).

Don’t get screwed.
    When you get your ZE, check to see that your heads are stamped with KL31-101, and KL31-1A1, those numbers designate the KLZE from other K series engines. Other series came with similar manifolds, so checking cams and heads is the only way to make sure

...And for the MX3 guys:
    You will not be able to use the MS8 manifold, because the extended TB arm will hit the brake master cylinder. Make sure to either acquire a Eunos 800 IM, or retain the IM off of your 1.8. Using your stock ECU with the ZE will cause the engine to run extremely rich, it is strongly suggested that you buy an Aspec ECU.

Your common ZE with the MS8 Manifold:
    Click

A pic of the Eunos 800 IM:
    Click

Just a cool pic:
    Click
    _™

Yay......

Mike,

1. Could you just mention that ZE's were also fitted to Japanese Ford AX and AY Telstars (or just other Ford vehicles), and as such can come with "Ford" stamped on the front VC.

2. In Japan they specify the various KL ZE's as producing 200ps, which is about 198 ish Hp.

3. Injectors and rails are the same as the 03.

4. If you are lucky enough to get the distributor, external coil, igniter, condenser capacitor and associated connectors, and can solder, it takes a couple of hours to convert fully to the external setup.
    Mark

03 Mazda6 Classic Hatch, Snowflake White Pearl, re-built 2.3L Duratec.
    07 Mazda6 MPS Velocity Red.

Comment

One fact that's been brought out: OBDII's can't use KLZE ECUs without some re-wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke
        One fact that's been brought out: OBDII's can't use KLZE ECUs without some re-wiring.
        Nor can an OBD II ECU be upgraded.

While talking about ECU's... I have found about 4 different ECU's used in 93-94 U.S. models.
        ~SonicRacing~
        PT member #24
        1993 Probe GT -ZE (for sale, $2k)
        1987 RX-7 Turbo II (for sale, $2k)
        2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege (for sale, $22k)

Comment

Another thing to note,

The ZE TB/IAC CAN be used. You do not have to swap it out for the 03 TB/IAC. You may have to do some adjusting but it will idle perfect.

I have encountered 3 with the ZE TB(including mine), and all of them run perfect with it.

This is 100% true. Verified by me
          Rick
          Former owner of a '95 PGT KLZE with many mods. Current owner of a 2002 Protege ES. "It's better to have never loved, than to have loved and lost"

Comment

Don't forget about the intermediate shaft bearing support. The bolt design on the engines are different. It changed with the years.

This is a very simple fix, I should have documented this when I did REDPGT's car.
            Rick
            SELLING!!! '96 PGT-ZE. PRM cai, HS headers, Greddy cat-back, Fidanza flywheel, CM stage 3 clutch,

Comment

...And for the MX3 guys:
              You will not be able to use the MS8 manifold, because the extended TB arm will hit the brake master cylinder. Make sure to either acquire a Eunos 800 IM, or retain the IM off of your 1.8. Using your stock ECU with the ZE will cause the engine to run extremely rich, it is strongly suggested that you buy an Aspec ECU.
              This only goes for left hand drive cars as far as I am aware.. cos in right hand drive the master cylinder is on the other side..

This is only hear-say, as I have never seen or done this myself (yet)... so can someone back me up?

Comment

Originally posted by eunosads

This only goes for left hand drive cars as far as I am aware.. cos in right hand drive the master cylinder is on the other side..

This is only hear-say, as I have never seen or done this myself (yet)... so can someone back me up?
                You are correct
                David Coleman #1891 - Fastest of any Gen @ MMIV:
                1993 Mazda MX-3 GSR Special Edition - PINK POWA! - KLZE powered!

The Idiot Post Patrol :
                Fighting ignorance one post at a time [this public service brought to you by Nikki and David]

Comment

Working...
                X