This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEIN Suspension Kits for the '93-'97 Probe GT

TEIN USA Inc. will be offering the following products for the Ford Probe GT (2nd Generation Only). I have been informed recently that their is no date set. The holidays came up and changed a bunch of things for them. The theaded bodies needed to be redesigned and havent herd if they have completed that yet. We are hoping that there is a marketing time frame that they are working under. Stay tuned. Specifications and Part #s are known and available at this time. However, TEIN has not set a firm date has to when the Dealers/Vendors will be able to get their hands on them. Now on to the details:

The S.TECH Lowering Springs:
    • Ride Height Drop of: Front: 33mm (1.3in) Rear: 30mm(1.2in)
    • Spring Rate: Front: ? kgf/mm(? lbs/in) Rear: ? kgf/mm(? lbs/in)

The BASIC DAMPER Kit:
    • Main Coils both have a 200mm (8in) length with the Front using a straight 70mm I.D. while the Rear using a tapered 100-70mm I.D. with a Stroke of 118mm and 128mm, respectively. See Note 1.
    • Spring Rate: Front: 9kgf/mm(504lbs/in) Rear: 6kgf/mm(335lbs/in)
    • Ride Height Drop of: Front: 35mm(1.4in) Rear: 31mm(1.2in)
    • Ride Height Adjustable: Front:+/-13mm(0.5in) Rear+/-12mm(0.45in) via pre-loading of Main Coil by an adjustable perch (Tools Included).
    • The Damper is rebuildable for repair, overhauling, or revalving.
    • Must use the Stock strut mounts.

The Super Street DAMPER Kit with Pillow Ball Upper Mount:
    • Main Coils are both straight 70 mm I.D. with a 200mm (8in) length and a Front and Rear Stroke of 118mm and 128mm, respectively. See Note 1.
    • Spring Rate: Front: 9kgf/mm(504lbs/in) Rear: 6kgf/mm(335lbs/in)
    • Ride Height Drop of: Front: 35mm(1.4in) Rear: 31mm(1.2in)
    • Ride Height Adjustable: Front:+/-13mm(0.5in) Rear:+/-12mm(0.45in) via pre-loading of Main Coil by an adjustable perch (Tools Included).
    • The Damper is rebuildable for repair, overhauling, or revalving.
    • 16 Way adjustable damping force (Compression and Rebound together) with ‘Finger’ adjustability – No Tools Necessary!
    • Optional Remote adjustment of damping with E.D.F.C. (See below)
    • Must be installed using TEIN’s Pillow Ball Upper Mounts (Camber Adjustable in the Front) [When I get a chance I will have the Range of adjustability measured].

E.D.F.C. - Electronic Damping Force Control:
    • Real-Time damping adjustment from the convenience of the Driver’s Seat.
    • Switch between 16 Levels or 32 1/2-Levels of separate adjustment for Front and Rear
    • Three (3) programmable settings and Key-Off Memory of last setting used.
    • Direct Fit. No modification to the Hood is necessary, but some Strut Tower Bars will then no longer fit.

Note 1 - Additional Main Coils are available to purchase separately with a choice of Spring Rates for BOTH the BASIC & S.S. DAMPER kits. These DAMPERS are designed to accommodate the use of Spring Rates that differ up to +/-2kgf/mm (110 lbs/in), from the specifications of each Kit, for BOTH the Front and Rear without the necessity for revalving.

Now, what about price?

Well, no actual prices have been set at this time. However, I have been told that the prices for each of the available products for our car will be the same as other similar type vehicles. Caution: Do Not speculate on the actual price of these products. It is intended to only be a reference to the cost listed at website of TEIN USA (www.tein.com) for the same products offered for other vehicles.

Try to read BETWEEN the lines. Our prices won’t be the Lowest, but they also won’t be the Highest either. Now, what I can tell you is that I have done some searching around and found that the Retail price is more like 10 to 15% less than MSRP. In addition, if you join in a Bulk Buy you’re sure to see that price fall even more.

On a personal note, this is a huge opportunity for those of us wanting a significantly improved suspension system from a manufacturer that is not only willing to actually make products but also to do so in a timely manner. But, this happened because of some strong persistence from one of the more prominent members, Stacey B. (a,k,a, Racy-Stacey). While attending a “GT LIVE” event (as a representative of SCCA Cal Club) at the California Speedway earlier this February, she spotted the TEIN both. Looking through their catalog she noticed a listing for the Probe GT. She asked about when it would be available she was told that no date was set because they first had to find a Probe GT to design it on (remember, they don’t have any of these in Japan). She then proceeded to talk up our community to the TEIN representatives there and managed to convince them to ‘give us a try’; just get us a Stock Probe GT. She then coordinated the test mule vehicle to be made available for TEIN. That’s where I came in to this story.

I brought them the vehicle for them to take apart and take all the necessary measurements that they required to start the development cycle for our car. At this point, we were not even going to be guaranteed exactly what would be made if any at all. The people over at TEIN USA have been extremely helpful and courteous during the whole process.

As of September 2nd, TEIN has provided myself with the prototype of the S.S. Damper w/ P.B.U.M. along with the information you see here today (as well as what appears on their website). I told them that this information was crucial to the success of these newly released products. I hope that this will give the most time for as many people as possible to save up their money and be ready to order when these products are made available. Now, back to business.

All prototyping was done on an almost completely stock 1994 Probe GT and thus ALL of the measurements and the subsequent designs values are referenced from this specific vehicle. The only relevant augmentation to the vehicle’s suspension is a Mazda Competition Rear Sway Bar (Thickness of 16mm) installed since May 2001. This is essentially the same as the recently popular choice of the Mazda 626 Rear Sway Bar of same thickness.

Over the next few weeks/months, a few of the other SCPOC members, along with myself, will be evaluating this new set-up from TEIN. Feedback will come in the form of a comparison between a members own suspension set-up to the TEIN suspension on the test vehicle. The backdrop for the comparison will be everything from normal street driving to aggressive high-speed touring; from your local autocross to some full track time-trials (well maybe). We are hopeful that this will help many out there who might not want to just ‘believe what the magazine wrote using some other car’ or I wish I could know if it’s ‘worth spending all that money.’

If you research TEIN, you’ll find quality products with a global reputation and top-tier support. You’re going to have a hard time finding a system on the market… wait a minute… that’s right, there ARE NO OTHER SYSTEMS like this on the market for us. One simple thing to remember: the components of these systems have been all been designed by the same manufacturer SPECIFICALLY FOR OUR CAR. Some of these products being made available to us have no equivalent by other manufacturers. We’re dealing with a company that wants to be the very best out there – and we are being included.

Michael
    My car is no longer STOCK, and people are STILL laughing at me!

'94 Mazda PGT Black ('95 Zero-Mile KLDE Engine from Japan with some of my '93 Steel Blue Frost in there too. )

Pictures will soon be posted here.

Michael

'94 Mazda PGT Black ('95 Zero-Mile KLDE Engine from Japan with some of my '93 Steel Blue Frost in there too. )

Comment

:giggles like a school girl:

Time to start saving?
      Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
      06 Legacy GT
      98 Legacy GT

Comment

Pics!!!!! Yay!
        Cameron
        1993 Rio Red PGT-ZE... SOLD 9/18/08
        1991 Mettalic Gray Toyota 4x4

Comment

I will be down to buy them as soon as they are released.

-Mike
          Last edited by SirMichael; September 10, 2005, 11:33 AM.
          farfegnugen-n., a speed-induced euphoric state in which the driver of an automobile believes he/she is moving at a sufficient rate of speed to leave all troubles behind.

Cardomain
          | MySpace

Comment

ive noticed that tein makes all of these products for the 99-03 protege, are these just the same products, but labeled for the probe?

-Ty

Comment

Originally posted by 93GTSR
              ive noticed that tein makes all of these products for the 99-03 protege, are these just the same products, but labeled for the probe?

-Ty
              NO. please read the above article carefully.

it specifically states that his car was used for all measurements and fitting. what may not be included is that a set of stock springs and struts were sent to japan for testing and data gathering to allow for the proper dampening and spring rates for the above mentioned kits.
              ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

definitely down for a set...great work guys, keep us updated.
                '93 Red PGT MTX....

Comment

GOOD GOD!

I thought I would never see the day.

Yay TEIN!!!
                  1994 Aspen Silver Metallic Probe GT

Probes NorthWest Rocks!

Comment

Argh i have to wait 2 more months

I have the money in hand for the SS coilovers and the EDFC. I can't wait till they finally come out I'm soo glad I did'nt get the D2's.

Pizzi U da man

Comment

nice... i need some super stiff springs too....
                      94 PGT rear ended and sent in to a brick wall... fixed and still pumping after about 4 accidents... this thing is a beast..
                      95pgt-t winter project... |2.8L stroker ZE|LSD tranny|Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo|880 CC Nissan injectors| ZE Gutted IM|Greddy pipes| Poly Engine Mounts|6 pucked CM Clutch|MazdaSpeed Seats|Boost Gage|HSK BOV|Duel PermaCool 14" SlimeLine Fans| Many others

Comment

Whoop.
                        1996 Mazda MX-6 LS (Kauai Blue *blurple*)
                        1993 Ford Probe GT
                        some photos

Comment

Originally posted by 93GTSR

-Ty
                          Originally posted by dmark101
                          NO. please read the above article carefully.

it specifically states that his car was used for all measurements and fitting. what may not be included is that a set of stock springs and struts were sent to japan for testing and data gathering to allow for the proper dampening and spring rates for the above mentioned kits.

-Damon
                          Thanks Damon, I couldn't have answered that any better. But, let me add this as well.

Unlike other brands of coilover suspensions that are 'supposedly' made for us, they seem to be only marketed to us. If there is any doubt, compare the spring rates for the '99&'02 Protege of TEIN to those of the 'Other Guy' trying to sell to us and you'll see the same rate.

Yet, TEIN has determined through direct measurement and then an approximately 2 month test period in Japan that the spring rates for the Probe should indeed be larger than that of a Protege. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that the Probe is NOT the same as the Protege.

This is what led to a bit longer than expected delivery date. Most people, who did know of this development, thought they would just - "measure the bolt holes and fit us with the closet thing that would work." Little did we know that TEIN would actually custom design and test this product for the Probe.

But, I think it will be well worth the 'extra' time.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain
                            This is what led to a bit longer than expected delivery date. Most people, who did know of this development, thought they would just - "measure the bolt holes and fit us with the closet thing that would work." Little did we know that TEIN would actually custom design and test this product for the Probe.

But, I think it will be well worth the 'extra' time.

Michael
                            It will be worth it once they are available :thup

Comment

Oh my I think I just wet myself
                              GySgt (Select) Stacey O. Johnson, USMC
                              My Toys- 2011 Silverado Z71 (Black Neck Ride ), 1995 PGT (Back Again )
                              "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." -Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X