Interior Door panel repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Door panel repair

So my passenger side door is split down the middle so it's it two parts now. I had the same problerm with the drivers side and I hot guled them both. The drivers side is still golden but the passenger side isn't. I tried to re-glue but I can see it will be the same.... so i need some good ideas and help... I don't want to drill or screw thur them... what have people done?
    94 GT, atx SWAPED to MTX, Silver, Oil Cooler, Blue Calipers, Front and back strut bars, 22" Rear sway bar, Hotshot Headers, Greddy cat-back, Sloted and Drilled Roters, Hotshot Cold air intake, Pheno Intake and TB, and much more.
    93 GT, MTX, Black, Red Calipers, Hot Shot Air intake, Sloted and Drilled Roters. Pheno Intake and TB, More to come on this one!!

i have head of some peolpe rivit them together, but the best way to solve it is to get some 95+ door panels that are one piece
    Rio Red 94 PGT mtx
    Mods - ZE, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5 Borla catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates

Comment

can't rivit them cuz I don't have one... and 95+ are different style then what i have now
      94 GT, atx SWAPED to MTX, Silver, Oil Cooler, Blue Calipers, Front and back strut bars, 22" Rear sway bar, Hotshot Headers, Greddy cat-back, Sloted and Drilled Roters, Hotshot Cold air intake, Pheno Intake and TB, and much more.
      93 GT, MTX, Black, Red Calipers, Hot Shot Air intake, Sloted and Drilled Roters. Pheno Intake and TB, More to come on this one!!

Comment

Originally posted by probety View Post
        can't rivit them cuz I don't have one... and 95+ are different style then what i have now
        That's the point. Get them, you won't regret it.
        93 PGT ATX, Short Ram Intake, HEI mod w/Crane LX91 coil, MSD plug wires, relocated Optima battery, B&M tranny cooler, shimmed oil pump, 98+ 626 brake upgrade, 16mm 626 rear swaybar

Comment

use gorilla glue....just dont put it too close to the edge...because it expands and foams...Make sure you clamp it too. It will hold...but still be careful with it. You could rip it apart if ya wanted to. If you glue it and fasten it with all the screws theres no chance it will seperate
          93 Probe GT
          Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

Gluing is your best bet.
            The two pcs design of the 93-94 door panels sucks. There not really much that will prevent them from separating eventually.
            -Kyle
            93 Black probe (K-sporting) My Cardomain

Mazdaspeed SVO 2.Slow turbo build teaser thread**

Comment

Well, IMO just get the 1 peice style. If you really like the 2 peice style, then I say gorilla glue or JB weld them together. If you do glue them clamp them and make sure to not put it really close to the edge or it will run out like Phat said.

Comment

No no no. Don't use Gorilla or JB! Thats a

Use LocTite plastic epoxy! It works far better.

Once, I accidentally kicked the map pocket right off of my driver door. To fix it, I mixed up the epoxy on a piece of cardboard using a Q-tip. I applied the epoxy sparingly to the map pocket and panel surface. I placed the pocket onto the panel, turned it upside down, put a few very small wood screws through the back where the plastic weld spots are, and then flipped it back over and placed weights on it to hold it still and tight.
                Overnight, I left it to dry. The next morning, it was SOLID. You cant really tell it was ever broken. Its probably stronger now than it ever was.

The trick is to press down or clamp down in it with precision while the epoxy is drying. This will allow it to get a good molecular bond and adhere much better.
                DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by MSDKLZE View Post
                  No no no. Don't use Gorilla or JB! Thats a

Use LocTite plastic epoxy! It works far better.

Once, I accidentally kicked the map pocket right off of my driver door. To fix it, I mixed up the epoxy on a piece of cardboard using a Q-tip. I applied the epoxy sparingly to the map pocket and panel surface. I placed the pocket onto the panel, turned it upside down, put a few very small wood screws through the back where the plastic weld spots are, and then flipped it back over and placed weights on it to hold it still and tight.
                  Overnight, I left it to dry. The next morning, it was SOLID. You cant really tell it was ever broken. Its probably stronger now than it ever was.

The trick is to press down or clamp down in it with precision while the epoxy is drying. This will allow it to get a good molecular bond and adhere much better.

Haha, I did the same thing, kicked my map pocket right off. I JB welded it back together, mixed it up spread it on both sides and clamped it. Let it sit overnight and it is strong as hell. So both work, but maybe the epoxy works better.
                  Last edited by Ransom; August 21, 2010, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas...very good stuff. As far as putting new style doors on... aren't the door handles different? same with the elect?

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas...very good stuff. As far as putting new style doors on... aren't the door handles different? same with the elect?
                      yes the door handles are different so you have to use the 95+ handles but everything swaps right over
                      Rio Red 94 PGT mtx
                      Mods - ZE, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5 Borla catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates

Comment

I'd have to try the local pick n pull but the rape people on the stuff!

Comment

They swap right over, you need the new style door handles. Also, I have never done this because well all my probes have been the 95+ models, but I have heard 2 of the holes don't line up. This isn't really a problem because you can put drill some new holes if need be. All you would have to do is put the door panel on and the two holes that don't line up you can drill right then with the panel on and throw the screws in and there you go.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

I'd have to try the local pick n pull but the rape people on the stuff!
                          They usually don't charge you to much for interior panels

Comment

theres a bracket you have to remove from the 95+ door and installd it on your door. It goes in the center and is the same spot as that little pocket is that you grab to open and close your door with your 93-94 panels. You can do the epoxy method...probably going to need a fair amount of it and that stuff aint cheap. If you do clamp it...make sure its rubber or you got something over it so it dont damage the panel
                            93 Probe GT
                            Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

picture is dark but i used plastic push tabs.

94 PGT
                              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Working...
                              X