No announcement yet.

Official How To: Vaf To Maf Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey now lol. I've been a part for a while now! Then unjoined for a bit and now im comin back
    1996 pgt - 148k miles
    milly maf conversion, klg4 intake mani(need a new one!), stage 1 clutch, mx3 flywheel, many other mods

Comment

Here is the small problem i am having at start up, i got to tap the gas, or else the car wants to stall. Checked tps setting today, and adjusted the idle screw. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?

Comment

Has anyone looked into using a 98-02 626 ecu since they came with a 5speed?

Comment

^
          those would need the rear head swapped to one of the 98+, the crank pulley, the ignition set up, and a bit more. and in all truth, in the end, you would probably need even the wiring harness.

it wouldnt be as simple of a swap pretty much. the milly motor has all the same basics, so its just a ecu, and a little wiring and your good to go. you can do this swap in under an hour without having a clue what your doing.
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

the 626 is doable for me any how. The front cam cap can be swapped with care to check the bore for diameter and ridges where the two halfs meet so the cam isnt going to wear out. The cars are quite different that harness swapping would be out of the question. It would be fun to make a full custom harness.

Dont forget the 98+ 626 has a different EGR valve than millenia or PGT mx6 and <98 626's

Comment

Has anyone actually ran a KJ01 MAF?

Comment

Ive run both. They are the same part.
                Jim K.
                :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Except the JK01 has a honeycomb im assuming to assist measuring boosted air?

Comment

Anyone have a MAF to sell me?

Comment

Quick question just got a maf, iat, the gormet for the iat sensor both maf and iat plugs and ecu outta a 98 millenia....ecu did not have a number on it it was wore off...will all this work on a 96 pgt...since i just noticed u said u need a 96 millenia ecu...did u mean 96+ millenia?
                      1996 PGT

Comment

Just read u can use it if you run a ground wire up to a o2....what exactly do you mean....
                        1996 PGT

Comment

Originally posted by KLuver View Post
                          Quick question just got a maf, iat, the gormet for the iat sensor both maf and iat plugs and ecu outta a 98 millenia....ecu did not have a number on it it was wore off...will all this work on a 96 pgt...since i just noticed u said u need a 96 millenia ecu...did u mean 96+ millenia?
                          I read here that the 96 milly ECU is a direct swap with only the 96 pgt/mx6

If you got a different 1, the o2 pin might be a different location than the 96 pgt pin for it so you need to jumper a wire or push the wire out and plug it into the right spot.

It would be nice if someone had the milly ECU pinouts for ref.
                          I read on here that the 96 pgt ecu is differnet from the 97, but according to these diagrams the o2 sensors are in the same locations(C247). Are these diagrams right?
                          http://www.powersquirt.com/installer...ms/1996/2.5GT/
                          http://www.powersquirt.com/installer...ms/1997/2.5GT/
                          Last edited by ZE runner; October 22, 2011, 03:29 PM.
                          Current DD- 04 Neon Srt4
                          02 SuperHawk http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...0%20Superhawk/
                          97 PGT-ZE-T- Parted and sold
                          97 PGT- Sold,
                          07 Mazda6 Grand Touring- Sold

Comment

the O2 inputs are the same, it is the heater ground circuit and the use of four 4 wire O2's instead of two 4 wire and two 3 wire O2's

Comment

Well i plugged the ecu in everythings done car idles fine pulls a lot nicely no problems here...but do u guys have a suggetion as what to do with the o2 with this ecu....both of mine are bad anyway so idk if that matters

Either way officially maf converted and love it
                              1996 PGT

Comment

I've spent the last while decoding the drawings and come up with this for you. In reality all it needs is to run two wires to the ECU. You will need to grab some pins + wire from a wrecker ECU harness.

You will probably have to save the pic and zoom in to read it.

When i said to cut and splice the engine loom side of the blk-red wire you need to run the cut end of the blk-red coming out of the O2 plug to the ECU, not the blk-red that is coming from the engine harness.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6...lenia98ecu.jpg

EDIT: Extra pics

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7121/98millenia.jpg
                                http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8358/96millenia.jpg
                                Last edited by Mr.Jason; October 22, 2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X