PART I&II - How to install power locks, trunk release, and remote start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PART I&II - How to install power locks, trunk release, and remote start

Thanks to mgleason007 you guys now have a full guid to installing your own power door locks and remote starters Thanks Guy!

---

To do this, you will need to buy one of these, one of these, and a remote starter. I used a Crimestopper RS900-IV. I highly recommend it. I got it off of ebay for around $50. If you don't get this one, stay away from Impulse. I went through two of these and couldn't get either to work. Make sure the one you choose has remote lock capabilities and a third channel for the trunk release.

Part 1-Install the power locks

Remove the door panels. Remove the plastic. Take out the plastic cover surrounding the interior fuse box (not just the little thing that gives you access to the fuses). Mount the solenoids in the doors. I put them directly underneath the interior lock button in the hole near the bottom of the door. Unlock the door and extend the solenoid the whole way. There's a little plastic thingy that guides the top of the rod that you push to lock the door. I ended up removing that. Now attach the rod from the solenoid to the rod on the door lock using the included hardware. Drill a hole in the door and one in the car near the hinge for the wires. You should not be able to see the holes with the door closed. You may need to remove the retaining pin so you can open the door further. Rubber grommets appeared out of nowhere, so I put those in the holes. I think they came with the power lock kit, but I really have no idea. So anyway, I bet you can tell what the next step is. Take the wires and thread them through the holes we just drilled from the inside of the car into the door. I had to extend the driver's side wires about 18". Clamp down the connectors with pliers. Shrink the tubing around the connection with a lighter if you want to. I didn't. Now you should have the wiring in the doors and connected to each solenoid. The wire connector that plugs into the black box should now be in the general area of the driver's interior fuse panel. Plug in the wiring harness to the power locks brain. Hook up the +12 V from the harness to a constant power source. I hooked mine up directly to the battery. You could also use the main supplies in the ignition harness by the steering wheel. You will have to take off the shroud that covers the steering column right behind the steering wheel. If you are installing a remote starter, you will need to take this cover off anyway, so you might as well do it now. I think three phillips head screws were the only things holding it on. There are two hots, and they're both black with a blue stripe. It doesn't matter which one you use. Take off the little panel next to the gas pedal. It's about 14" x 8". You'll see a decent sized bolt head. Use this for ground connections. Congratulations, the power locks are now installed. You have completed the most tedious part of this install!

Part 2-Install trunk pop solenoid

Remove the center rear trunk panel, then the two panels on the driver's side of that. Remove the driver's side door sill. You should still have the plastic cover that surrounds the fuse box removed. Mount the solenoid in the trunk on the driver's side of the hatch locking mechanism. There's an indentation in the metal there that the solenoid fits into perfectly. Just use the mounting bar to secure it in there. You just need to secure the one end of the mounting bar, because this solenoid is only pulling, not pushing. Loop the cable coming out of the solenoid through the loop that the stock trunk release cable is mounted to. It looks like this:

|-----------------|

| 0---------------

|-----------------|

Hopefully that makes sense. I'll hopefully be posting some pics sometime this week. Make certain there's no slack in this cable, and use the included clamp to hold it in place. Now run the wire from the solenoid around the trunk, beside the rear seats, under the carpet, and up to the back side of the inside fuse panel. This will later get connected to the remote's brain. Ground the solenoid somehere in the trunk by screwing it into some metal near the solenoid. Now touch the power lead to something that's hot, such as the battery or the lead you used when installing the locks. If the solenoid works, fine. If not, try reversing the ground and power terminals on the solenoid. You are done with this for now.
Working...
X