Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEadlights go up and down, up and down, up and down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEadlights go up and down, up and down, up and down...

I just bought a 90 red pgt a few months ago. I LOVE the car. One problem is that the headlights will go up and down constantly by theirselves, even if the car is off. For now, I just remove the retra fuse. If I want the lights to stay up, I have to tap the retra fuse in till they are at the top of their stroke, and then remove it. This way they will stay up so I can drive. If I left the fuse in, they would just keep going up and down the whole time.
    There has to be SOMEONE who has had this problem also with a first gen? Are you there? Well if you are, PLEASE tell me what the problem was, I am clueless! I will be your best friend if you can solve the problem for me!! Thank you for your help!!

The headlight motors are going out. Replace them and the problem will be gone.
    1997 240SX
    2002 XTerra

Comment

It was once suggested that the cause of this problem is a bad rely on the firewall. If I remember corretly it's the second relay from the right looking over your motor.

Comment

wow, um, cool. But which is it? I guess I'll change the relay first, and if that doenst work, on to the motors? But if the motors were going out, wouldnt they NOT go up and down? I mean, they move great, just wont stay still. Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

If one of them was doing that, it could be the headlamp motor.
          Usually the circuit splits off to both headlamps - but if one is piggybacked off of the other, then it could be a faulty motor.
          I'm not familiar with 1st Gens (specifically the wiring & circuits) ...

Do they do that as soon as you turn the headlamps on - or does it take a little while?

Does it happen when you're stationary, when driving, or both?

Do the lamps cut off as well? You might be able to see light shining through the seal at night, or you might be able to see them when the hood is up.
          1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX
          Kitted. Lambos. Slammed. 18s. T3/04E. LSD. MSII. Zoom-Zoom-Psst.

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX
          Lowered. 18s. P5 FSDE. MP3 PCM.

Cardomain - Needs updating.

Comment

They do it as soon as you put the fuse in. The lights themselves will only shine if the lights are turned on from the knob in the car. See, I carry around the fuse in my pocket... if I need to use my lights, I turn them on, open the hood, and tap the fuse in till they are up at top, then remove the fuse. If i dont remove it, they will just keep going up and down right away, both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by shibby
              They do it as soon as you put the fuse in. The lights themselves will only shine if the lights are turned on from the knob in the car. See, I carry around the fuse in my pocket... if I need to use my lights, I turn them on, open the hood, and tap the fuse in till they are up at top, then remove the fuse. If i dont remove it, they will just keep going up and down right away, both of them.
              So the lights don't cut out, just the motors?
              And they do this no matter if your car is moving or not?

To test the actual motors, you would unplug them and wire them directly to the battery (with a fused wire, of course).

If the light housings are going up & down no matter what the conditions ... then either the relay is shutting on or off, or the CPU is shorting out (not the PCM or TCM, but the CPU - which I believe is on the back of the fusebox).
              1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX

Comment

So the lights don't cut out, just the motors?
                And they do this no matter if your car is moving or not?
                Yes, the lights wont cut out, they will always stay on if they are turned on. And it doesnt make a difference if the car is moving or not, or running or not.

Can anyone show me exactly where the relay and this CPU is? Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

The headlight switch is bad.

Comment

Oh jeeez, now the headlight switch is bad! Which is it people!?!

Comment

Replace the relay and if it still does it replace the headlight switch.

Comment

Ok..could anyone possible show or tell me where the relay is? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by shibby
                          Ok..could anyone possible show or tell me where the relay is?

Originally posted by probemangt
                          It was once suggested that the cause of this problem is a bad rely on the firewall. If I remember corretly it's the second relay from the right looking over your motor.
                          1994 Ford Probe 2.0L MTX

1996 Mazda 626 2.0L MTX

Comment

Looks like someone read the full thread.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The only way to test the relay is with a new relay, correct? Also, if I have to move on to the CPU, that is on the back (bottom) of the fuse box(under the hood), correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X