This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long did it take most of you guys
    1993 Probe GT KLZE, KLZE EPROM, SSAC Headers and Downpipe, Custom CAI WITH IGT FOAM FILTER, Testpipe, Bosal Catback
    Ractive Strut Tower Braces, NGK IV, PROBE ADDICTION WIRES, INTRAX SPRINGS, STAGE 2 CLUTCH, MX-3 Flywheel, Cosmo Short Throw Shifter,
    MTX Swap, HEI MOD WITH MSD BLASTER 3 COIL, WALBRO 190 PUMP

Comment

I know this might seem like an odd ball question but anyone know if 93-97 Mx-6/PGT/626 swap parts are interchangable with the 98+ 626?

Comment

Originally posted by Chunchoy45
        BY: Chunchoy14(Chunchoy45 on probetalk.com)
        and
        M(y)x6gr8ride

93-97 Mazda Mx6/626 or Ford Probe V6 2.5L KL03 Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion write up:

Swap parts needed:
        1) Manual Transmission (only v6 and must be 93-97 mx6/probe/626)
        2) Flywheel (KLO3,k8,fidanza)
        3) Clutch
        4) Throwout bearing (release bearing)
        5) Pilot bearing
        6) Clutch master cylinder
        7) Clutch slave cylinder
        8) Clutch hydraulic tube and hose or rr clutch line
        9) MTX halfshaft (Driver's side and passenger side)- Some believe you only need driver's but i replaced both with a new one anyways)
        10) MTX Intermediate Shaft with Carrier bearing(the bearing should be one the intermediate shaft)(93 has 3 hole mount, 95 has 2 hole mount get the appropriate year)
        11) Shift Linkage and rod
        12) Shifter- I used a pacesetter short throw shifter
        13) Clutch pedal assembly
        14) Brake pedal assembly
        15) MTX Transmission mount(I replaced all 3)
        16) MTX (4cyl or 6cyl will work)Chassis bracket for top side transmission mount
        17) Brake master cylinder (whole master cylinder not required---just reservoir from mtx is required because
        the reservoir has an extra port for the clutch master cylinder)
        18) New MTX axle seals
        19) MTX starter
        20) Tranny gear oil ( Must be GL-4)Redline recommended
        21) 2 cotter pins
        22) Mtx tranny to crossmember rubber isolator
        I heard you need the ECU, is this true? Not on this list, so got me wondering?!

Comment

swap ATX to MTX on 93 PGT

Ok so we have done what i would consider all of the hard stuff, we had a donor car and swapped all of the parts over to complete the MTX swap. we also swapped the wiring harness and ecu from the MTX car. ive read the whole write up on the swap and from what i understand there should be a harness to plug in the clutch switch wires. I cant find it under the dash. Have we made a mistake putting in the MTX harness and ECU. Should we have left the ATX harness in and just hot wired it. any help would be appreciated. id like to get this thing back on the road, and move on to the next project. is there another way to complete this, and get it started, or am i just not seeing this plug.
          93 PGT with many bolt-ons and more to come!

Comment

you would have to take out the harness from the donor car for the clutch wiring this harness runs from the steering wheel and all the out behind the drivers fender which all this plugs into the fuse box int he engine bay headlights and around and up the passenger side of the car.

Comment

There are 3 wiring harnesses in the car, if you switch one you have to switch them all. My advice would be to put the ATX harness back in and wire it to work, its not hard... atleast not a hard as taking the dash out to replace all the wiring just to fix a simple problem. I did the same thing and ended up going back to the ATX harness.
              matthew@tru-racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mtuggle86
                how long did it take most of you guys
                About a week in a tiny 20-40* F garage including pulling the 3 wiring harnesses (includes pulling the dash), the engine and trans together, and a nice round of stuck bolts, all done alone.

Looking back most people would prob not think its worth it $ wise and time wise but I've learned plenty and Its been fun.

Much more fun in the summer though! And another set of hands is always welcome.

Its almost done (just need to put the fender back on and dash in); I'll report back once back in town and finish it up (about 1 afternoon).
                Last edited by eliezerlp; December 24, 2007, 03:37 PM.
                Boysenberry Blue 1996 SE MTX
                Sold: Teal Mist 1994 Base ATX | Rio Red 1994 GT MTX

Comment

So you DO need the ECU? All good if you do, my supplier gave me it. And what does MTX mean?

Comment

I'm trying to get the little piece of metal out of the crankshaft where the pilot bearing goes, but I'm having no luck, is there a special tool I should use,and fordman,MTX is Manual transaxle

Thanks
                    Joe
                    my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Electrical
                      -Plug in harnesses in tranny area.
                      -Plug in vehicle speed sensor.
                      -Don’t plug in reverse light switch.. To resolve that, use the 2 wires from the reverse light switch, plug into the to the 1 and 4 for continuity( for the harness in the illustraion below)
                      -Use 2 wires and jump 6 and 9 to trick the comp, so you can start the car.
                      -2-3 harnesses do not plug into anything, just leave it

The orange harness that looks like this:
                      ------------
                      |1 2 3 4 5|
                      |6 7 _ 8 9|
                      -----------
                      BOTTOM

Reinstall other stuff:
                      -Fill up tranny gear oil
                      -Cruise control, charcoal canister, battery, intake.

Start car and drive!!!
                      **Remember clutch break in period of 500miles.**

If possible Can you upload some photos of that orange harness. also where do you fill the tranny gear oil?

I cant find the orange wire harness that chunchoy was talking about.
                      Last edited by Bryax; February 4, 2008, 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Comment

ok, I figured out the camshaft problem, but I couln't move the steering column so I skipped that step and Itried to get the brake off but I can't get the 7th bolt off (bottem pass side) so how does one move the steering column down to the right?

Thanks
                        Joe

Comment

I completely unbolted mine, two bolts up front and then it should flop around, It should drop out and you can move it around. Makes the job 100% easier. Also I know it was said above but it is really easy to use the atx harness. I found a writeup for wiring everything into it with pictures and the atx computer so the cruise would work properly and all that stuff, took me about 30 minutes. I think Acer(dont know exactly, Ill have to look sent me the write-up.)

Comment

I already dropped those two bolts, does yours have a superwide (1/4+ in)ziptie on it or did a previous owner do that?

Thanks
                            Joe

Comment

speed sensor

I cant figure out which sensor is what on the tranny. I know theres a backup light switch and vehicle speed sensor, but not sure what the other one is for?

Comment

byrax
                                I assume this so I may be wrong, but i remember that there's a connector with orange plastic, therefore, that would be the orange connector, also i'd just see where the cords would stretch to, if it doesn't stretch, it doesn't fit
                                Last edited by kewaskumpgt; February 8, 2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X