Misc. AutoX Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm.

serric, i think that if you want to be able to take those 30mph turns anywhere near 70+, you had better start looking at upgrading the suspension BEFORE you go ahead and put on a swaybar.

heck, i would suggest you get a set of good sticky tires before anything else. give that a shot and see how much more drastic you want to get with other mods.
    ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

I would improve the suspension first. Your car is a 95 and I have no doubt that the struts are pretty shot. Start with those. The type of road you're driving on demands frequent transitions, as well as dips and hills. That requires a set of good struts to keep the body from flopping around. Which in turn will make it a lot more enjoyable, trust me. Sure, have good tires as well, but you should already have that in the first place. As for a swaybar, I would not get one unless you start autocrossing right after you get it, because with a new swaybar you will need to re-learn how your car reacts in emergency situations, and a mountain road is no place to do that.

Comment

Aye, i dont want to have to relearn how to drive my car next to a 10 foot wide tree Ive seen semi trucks hit them... The tree won.

Should probably go with new rims with the addition to sticky tires? And a lower profile tire will put more rubber on the road?

If i do it tho, i want to do it right.
        Disc brakes should probably come first out of anything, and while im at it grab some steel brake lines?
        Those old drums are starting to warp real bad anyways.

So many ideas, so little money

At least i'd like to think that my struts are in pretty good condition, they get me thru those trees pretty damned well. I have alot of fun
        '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101
          hmm.

serric, i think that if you want to be able to take those 30mph turns anywhere near 70+, you had better start looking at upgrading the suspension BEFORE you go ahead and put on a swaybar.

heck, i would suggest you get a set of good sticky tires before anything else. give that a shot and see how much more drastic you want to get with other mods.
          last time i checked, sway bars were part of the suspension

otherwise, i agree
          -Jesse
          "Racing makes herion addiction look like a vague desire for something salty."
          -93 MR2, #129 ES, SCCA ProSolo Season: 2nd place: 2004 & 2005 & 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by elder GT
            Seems we got a little off topic here as it doesn't sound like Serric is looking for an autocross setup. For flying through that redwood highway, I would think the setup that halfriceboy posted would be ideal. Check the bulk buy forum for the PT swaybar, it is available for a limited time only and has gotten great reviews.
            im not talking about it for autocross competition....which is EXACTLY why i suggested what i did.

if you keep the stock "handling balance" of mild understeer, you have yourself a lot safer setup for MOST drivers. Understeer usually corrects itself given enough time and distance. Oversteer usually gets worse if you dont know what youre doing.

Throwing sway bars and springs to get the back to rotate is GOOD for an autocross with a skilled driver, but its going to put his rear fender into a tree out on a remote highway.

Its also why i suggested A032Rs instead of Victoracers...as they wont heat cycle nearly as fast. The other choice would be Toyo RA-1s.

Id leave the size roughly stock.
            -Jesse

Comment

Read up on the A032R's, Dose anyone have any experence with them? They say they are excellent for wet weather, wich would rock beacuse this is a very wet area. Anyone have any experence with them in the rain?

Front and rear STB's? These look like a real good option. Probesport seems to be selling a pretty one, any suggestions as to what vendors/brands?

Coilover springs?

Shocks? (same thing as struts? ) Tokico?

Im still kinda lost on the whole camber thing. Anyone have any links to some good write ups on it?

Do those outlaw spacers really make a difference? What kind of performance could i expect out of them? 2hp?
              '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Sounds like you're asking too many things at once. Just get Eibach springs and Tokico struts, they are the most highly recommended thing on Probetalk. There is no reason to get coilovers unless you want to be able to go even lower than Eibachs, but I don't think you'd want to on a daily basis. Coilovers give worse ride, and they are so strong that if you hit a dip on the highway, they rebound so strongly that you'll feel like the car's going to launch itself off the ground Plus they are more expensive than Eibachs anyway. So just get the Eibachs = $200 and the Tokico struts = $320 and you're all set. Corksport has a very good price on a rear strut bar. By the way you don't have shocks, just struts.

Comment

Eibach's And Tokico Struts would be affordable by monday

Altho where can i find the Springs and struts for that price?
                  '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
                    last time i checked, sway bars were part of the suspension

otherwise, i agree
                    he was asking about an ADDCO swaybar, which of course, is not stock and a drastic change from stock.

i should know. i have one.

if he's looking for just tires, use the falken azenis rs tires. they are a better performer than the yokohama A032R and they are the hot tire to have for the autocrosser if you're looking for a street tire. they are class legal for STS and G stock, whereas the A032R isn't. the kumho victoracer is not legal for STS and is for all stock classes.

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Originally posted by Serric
                      Eibach's And Tokico Struts would be affordable by monday

Altho where can i find the Springs and struts for that price?
                      www.shox.com

www.mbxmotorsports.com

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101

if he's looking for just tires, use the falken azenis rs tires. they are a better performer than the yokohama A032R and they are the hot tire to have for the autocrosser if you're looking for a street tire. they are class legal for STS and G stock, whereas the A032R isn't. the kumho victoracer is not legal for STS and is for all stock classes.
                        Umm, the Falken is a GREAT street tire, but it still can't pull the same lateral G's as a true R compound tire, even a lower performance one like the A032R.

He's not interested in autocross, so it doesnt matter what is and what isn't legal. I simply brought it up to show the differences in doing suspension work and running street tires vs doing little to no suspension work and running R tires.
                        -Jesse

Comment

Well, i am interested in autocross, hopefully this june i'll get my first taste of it at the MSD. But i doubt i'll be big into it. There just isnt enough tracks around here.

So i wouldnt be able to compete in autocross with A032R's? Would i be able to participate at all? I wouldnt mind not being able to place so long as i could race, i'd be there for fun and experence.

The other big factor is that i'd really like them to be able to grip well in rain. It gets wet here alot
                          '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Autocross does not require a track. Most of the time it is done in big parking lots and airports. Look on the SCCA and NASA websites, there WILL be a local club convenient to you.

If you want to autocross, you can do it with whatever kind of car or tire you have. But if you want to be COMPETITIVE, it's a different story. Then you need to be picky. Your car will be classed according to what mods and what tires you have. But you don't even know if you'll like autocross yet, so my advice would be to go to one before you decide how important it is to you.

I would not recommend the Falken or the A032R for average people......they ride a little rougher, make more noise, and aren't the longest-lasting tires. You will have to make sacrifices. But you sound like you're actually serious about handling, so maybe they're for you.

Comment

A rough ride and a little noise is better than planting myself into a tree
                              '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

Guys, your forgeting he says it rains alot where he is. It would be a grusome sight seeing him take a fast corner in the rain with the falken azenis'. Correct me if Im wrong, but arnt they slick as snot in the rain?

Comment

Working...
                                X