FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
    There are quite a few variables in the setup, so I'd recommend talking to experience exhaust system builders (like STP or Burns). Burns even has a spec sheet for you to fill out, and based on that they can suggest your dimensions (primary diameter/length, secondary diameter/length, and so on).

http://www.burnsstainless.com/RESF.pdf

See what they can do for you, the tech talk is free.
    Thanks Dan! I will check them out.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

Dan, best of luck to you sir!
      -J-Rod-
      301whp 293wtq 9.5psi 14 degrees back under the knife (high compression & spray)
      93 PGT-T
      96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
      08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah

Comment

I have no doubt you'll have the power to make it happen... You got any plans to improve the traction situation?
        Quote of the day...
        (Every day)

"Yes it's true.. you are a good woman..
        Then again, you may be the Anti-Christ.."

Comment

For traction I've added the LSD (which ironically will help more during the burnout than the actual launch - I've had a lot of one-legged burnouts due to the open diff and those runs were all pretty much throw-away passes).

Also went with new KSports all around, which are a huge improvement over the blown stockers/Illuminas I had before. Now I have stiff springs in the back WITH proper damping so I won't get so much harmonic 'bounce' front to back during the first 8th mile. I could have probably done myself a favor and for only a bit more cash had a good shop build me a set of good inserts, but most good shops don't deal with FWD drag setups, so I'd have to do a lot of HW on my own....and I've been known to be lazy at times. Or modified a set of Honda dampers, but the ones worth paying for were starting at about $1,500....a pair.

Finally, the new gear ratios and final drive should ease some of the shock loading when the boost hits.

For now I've decided against wheelie bars, and will not likely make any unless it's really really going to tease me.
          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

My prediction for the end of the season? 9.5 @ 146.
            Jesus is the remedy
            Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
            Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
            Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

Hope it works out for you... The wheelie bars(traction bars for a FWD) really make a difference. We were just discussing on a local forum a CRX that runs Woodburn. He was cutting 1.4 60' times this weekend. I was pretty amazed.

Just try to get the rear as stiff as possible and limit the weight transfer as much as possible... (God I feel weird saying that... I'm usually saying just the opposite)
              Quote of the day...
              (Every day)

"Yes it's true.. you are a good woman..
              Then again, you may be the Anti-Christ.."

Comment

Originally posted by nevin94 PGT View Post
                My prediction for the end of the season? 9.5 @ 146.
                Dropping 3/4 of a second and picking up 6.5mph is way, WAY harder than you think...Especially when you're trying to go from 10's to 9's.

I'm not doubting Dan's work, but I'd be very surprised at those results. Either way, I'd love to see you break 9's Dan!
                95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

Good luck Dan!
                  John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
                  '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                  '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
                  '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

In for 9s, can't wait to see it.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
                    HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
                    Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
                    As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

^^This.
                      John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
                      '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
                      '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
                      '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

^^^that
                        2003Subaru WRX E85stock td04,tgv deletes, full catless, custom 2in crosspipe, 3in TBE, walbro 255,850 modded injectors,grimmspeed crank pulleyTUNED by me on opensource 12.8 @105mph 1.7 60ft

Comment

Originally posted by TRWeiss1 View Post
                          Dropping 3/4 of a second and picking up 6.5mph is way, WAY harder than you think...Especially when you're trying to go from 10's to 9's.

Very true. I think the mph will be there, the car has enough new mods to make an extra 100 whp if needed, but more power doesn't really mean much without traction.

If I can shave a tenth in the 60' (finding flat 1.60s consistently), another half tenth by the 8th, and then using the new power to grab another tenth at the top end, then it's doable.

Hopefully with the new gearbox and clutch I will now have the reliability to actually do TUNING while at the track, where I can play with tire pressure, launch RPM, boost limits per gear, and so on....before, about 3 passes is the most I'd get out of it, so I'd have to do some math, some voodoo, and hope that it'd all come together in the limited time I'd have to run before the transmission breaks...

This could be a quick car, it could also be a 10.3 @ 148 car, it could also just not run at all...we'll see how it all comes together in the next few weeks.
                          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Very true. I think the mph will be there, the car has enough new mods to make an extra 100 whp if needed, but more power doesn't really mean much without traction.
                            That is exactly the problem right there. You can have all the extra power you want, but it means nothing unless you can get it to the pavement.

Like you said, if traction is there you'll have plenty of power for 9's.
                            95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                            93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                            89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                            04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                            Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

Oops, my local shop is not called STP, but rather SPD (Specialty Products Design).

Check out their Ultima GTR V12 headers to see if they meet your requirement for 'quality' work:
                              http://www.spdexhaust.com/images/SPD...R_V12/GTR.html

Comment

Check out their Ultima GTR V12 headers to see if they meet your requirement for 'quality' work:
                                http://www.spdexhaust.com/images/SPD...R_V12/GTR.html
                                Ehh....I guess they would be okay if that is the type of work you would "settle" for

That is damn nice for such a cramped environment.

Very nice.
                                '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                                '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Working...
                                X