How to setup launch control on PNPMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to setup launch control on PNPMS?

Ive had this issue since I installed the PNPMS2, When I select the "flex" input in launch control, Launch control is on all the time, clutch pedal pushed in or not. When I select other inputs (other then the optional inputs) Launch control is on all the time.

I was told briefly in a email by Diyautotune to check the clutch pedal switch -witch I havent. However, Im assuming that If my clutch pedal switch was bad..I wouldnt be able to start the car.? Im guessing that the clutch pedal switch just grounds when released, so I should have no ground to the wire at the PNPMS when the pedal is depressed?

Anyone had this same problem? I dont want to run an external switch because Id like to also use the flat shift.

Details for those that dont know my setup,
    94 Mx6 MTX, Turbo'd
    PNPMS2, with Quad Spark, 36-1 wheel and IGN-6 Coil Pack
    Using Tunerstudio full version
    Last edited by KING6; October 11, 2014, 03:53 PM.

Here is post on the wiring...

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701252774

I also think you have to be "in gear" for the launch control to work?
    Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
    STEVE B
    1993 Probe GT
    2016 Mustang

Comment

Thanks for that, after reading all those post it looks like the nuetral switch in the trans is synced with the clutch switch.. Now that I think about it I never did put the car in gear while trying this or try driving. I figured it should only work with the pedal down in neutral or not

Comment

How about documentation on launch control on these engines? Anyone sharing settings? Using the settings right out of the box I can build around 2psi of boost with fuel cut, and around 5psi with spark cut. I havent played with it to much but I figured it check out others settings before I try and burn up my engine

Comment

In the interest of documenting my efforts here, Ill post up my progress with messing with this stuff.

Right out of the box, here are the settings that were from on it DIYautotune, I havent changed anything but do plan to increase the flatshift arm rpm to about 6000 so im not constantly flat shifting if I left it on.,

Documentation on Launch & Flat Shift Controls isnt as good as everything else in MS (or maybe im missing it). So basically being a Noob and not knowing much beyond being able to pin the gas and clutch/shift without lifting of the gas, I have been just google searching, most of the results I find arent even for people using MS, but from my understanding:

Spark Cut -is most common used, it is loud, potential dangerous to motor, high egts, will build more boost faster, Basically allowing fuel to be passed into the hotpipes and ignite with burnt fuel causing combustion spinning the turbo + Cool flames out the tail pipe.
          Fuel Cut -is "safer" but potential danger of leaning out/detonating, will build less boost
          Fuel & Spark Cut- I couldnt find anything, but im taking the equal of the 2. I have yet to try it.

Retarding the timing- Im set to 5 BTDC anything AFTC negative of 0 (ex -5) will build boost fastest but make high EGT's , Flames, Nasty Back Fires that can damage exhaust systems.

I plan to mess with this in the following. If im wrong or missing something, or someone has input, post up. Also for those that might be wondering, im not racing this. Im simply having fun with the options on this system.
          Last edited by KING6; October 14, 2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

not that i can provide much info on setting as ive done away with my launch control for the moment but i made a basic circuit so you could press a button to "enable" launch with the clutch depressed, when you lifted off the clutch it would disengage via the clutch pedal switch. Basically a latching relay setup, i found it good as i could choose when i wanted to enable launch control easily.
            Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
            Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
            Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

This is good stuff here. I've yet to mess with my Launch control settings and that was pretty much because I had no info on it. And lack of time to mess with it.

I'm thinking I may have to give it a try before I put the car away for the winter. I'm in the same boat as you, not racing the car at all just wanted to experiment with some settings since the unit offered it. If I stumble upon anything I'll post it up here as well.
              1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
              Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
              1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
              2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

I think you want to lower the "Launch retard RPM" and raise the Flat shift RPM settings. In the pic you posted the Flat shift is arming before the Launch control.

Here is a little worksheet I made up for the spark cut. You can try different ratios to get the best performance. The more sparks you cut will give you bigger/louder explosions and may be more harmful to your engine/exhaust/wideband. Cut enough sparks to help build boost without blowing past your hard cut.

Cutting X sparks/Y events
                Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
                STEVE B
                1993 Probe GT
                2016 Mustang

Comment

So I tried this out on saturday, having the car in gear wont disable the launch/flatshift.

While in gear, clutch pedal not pressed, Its hits the launch/flat shift at 4000rpm.
                  I also tried launch, that might take some tweaking, with the current settings I just spin the tires.

Im not really sure how to resolve this, I may have to rig up a micro switch on the clutch pedal and run the accessory output from the DB15 for the launch/flat shift

Comment

Check the voltage at the clutch switch pin. It should be 5V with your foot off the clutch and 0V with the pedal floored. Is it?
                    Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
                    My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

I havent checked it yet, But if it is or isnt? what would you recommend then?

Comment

If it is, I'll need to go over the tune in more detail; if it is not, you will want to check for a wiring fault.
                        Matt at DIYAutoTune.com
                        My PM box fills up fast - it's much better to email me at websales@diyautotune.com

Comment

I checked this today, I couldnt get any voltage readings on it. Maybe im doing it wrong

I tried attaching black on the multimeter to chassis, then probing either wire with the red, I just get 0's, depressed or not.

I tried connecting red on the multermeter to pos on the battery, then probing either wire with the black, 11.5 volts with the pedal out, 0.0 with the pedal pushed down.

I cant see how its a wiring problem, if It was, I wouldnt be able to start the car in theory.

Comment

It's reading the clutch pedal as always down.

If you unplug the MSPNP, what resistance do you see between VREF and the launch control wire?
                            Matt at DIYAutoTune.com

Comment

Unplugged the small plug and the medium plug from MS, tested pin 5 on the small plug (voltage reference) and tested pin 20 on medium plug, PNP park/clutch switch

This is what I got 2.152

Is it possible to take the launch control input from the DB15 and use the clutch switch to ground it out/activate and have it function with flat shift also? I think I read you have to open up the PNP and remove a jumper to use that pin? and that using that input would only allow launch control and not the flat shift.
                              Last edited by KING6; November 7, 2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X