Carpet dye???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet dye???

I have a grey hatch cover and wanted to dye it black to match my interior. What (is there) is a good carpet dye?

Hank
    Hank (ex~MaPOC prez) Kardos

02 Subaru Outback~00 MGT

when i did my carpet on the leather seats, i went out to pep boys and found a carpet spray that worked pretty emaculate...it was called ebony but its all the same name for black...i would only suggest using a dye or spray paint on areas that dont see a high amount of carpet or the color will fade and return to the original color in time

I don't drive a probe anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Warriors 96'PSE
      when i did my carpet on the leather seats, i went out to pep boys and found a carpet spray that worked pretty emaculate...it was called ebony but its all the same name for black...i would only suggest using a dye or spray paint on areas that dont see a high amount of carpet or the color will fade and return to the original color in time
      What do you mean "don't see a high amount of carpet"? I only want to dye the rear hatch cover, the piece that covers the hatch that has the thin layer of carpet on it. The only problem with that piece is it will be exposed to a high amount of sunlight but, I don't mind dyeing it every so often if it keeps it nice and black. Or just find a nice permanent deep black.

Hank

02 Subaru Outback~00 MGT

Comment

i meant pieces in the car that see a lot of traffic, i.e. the floors. a lot of places carry carpet dye.....i see every once in a while a black hatch lid that comes up pretty cheap...but most now go for 50$ or more

Comment

Originally posted by Warriors 96'PSE
          i meant pieces in the car that see a lot of traffic, i.e. the floors. a lot of places carry carpet dye.....i see every once in a while a black hatch lid that comes up pretty cheap...but most now go for 50$ or more
          Okay, thats what I thought but was just worded wierd. Yeah I have seen many but, most sellers punk out on the deal or don't wanna ship em'. I'll just dye my grey one, no prob. Thanks for the help

Hank

02 Subaru Outback~00 MGT

Comment

Dying carpet really isn't worth it.

Since you have to take it out anyways, you might as well just find some suitable material at a fabric store, or a sufficient place, and cut it to size of the original.

When dying, it wont last as long as REAL carpet, and it prone to fading, chipping, peeling, etc.

Just pull off the old carpet, trace a pattern, and re-cover the hatch cover with the new stuff and glue it with contact cement.

~A

Comment

Taking the hatch cover out requires about two whole minutes of work, heck I take it out anytime I wanna throw shit in the back of my car. I think dyeing the hatch cover carpet is more than well worth it. All I want it to do is match the rest of my interior, stripping it of the carpet and re-applying new carpet isn't worth the time to me. If it fades, oh well, I'll dye it again.

Hank

02 Subaru Outback~00 MGT

Comment

im thinking about doing that now...i was also going to dye the head liner

Comment

I'm gonna check out that ebony carpet dye this weekend

Hank

02 Subaru Outback~00 MGT

Comment

That spray in carpet die in a can from like Advance or AutoZone works pretty good. Like he said, works better in non-high traffic areas. The hatch cover should be just fine!

Later
                    Wes
                    ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
                    No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
                    ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

yup i found mine at pepboys.....went there cause they had more of a selection, only had "ebony" but like i said its still the same as black.....going to get some more this weeknd

Comment

Working...
                      X