Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, here is a link on ford-parts.com for valve spring retainers. I'm not sure what the difference between "upper" and "lower" is and I don't see it in my shop manual. Can someone inform me? If we need both then it's only $108-$144 for them brand new doesn't sound bad.

Judging by price and the lack of (meaning no) response to e-mail from CZT about their retainer kit, a stock replacement might be my best bet.
    Last edited by Fastest95PGT; March 7, 2005, 05:30 PM.
    Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
    1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

more good replies... thanks guys...

hypnatzd- if you have ZE heads, the only parts that NEED to be from a ZE are the intake HLAs... Yes, you can also use Millenia HLAs... The exhaust HLAs are the same as the 03 heads and the valves are same as the 03. The intake valves are bigger than exhaust, but all are same for both heads...

The exhaust HLAs on the ZE are the same as the 03 HLAs... And the 03 HLAs are the same size for both intake and exhaust...

On another note... MY CZT titanium retainers and chromoly valvelocks just arrived via UPS... Tomorrow they go to the shop and my heads will be done by the end of the week...
      2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport- Traded

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- Totaled

Comment

Which valve spring compressor?

$19.99 or $14.99

I'm thinking by sheer appearance its' the 19.99.. but can someone confirm please?
        Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi

Comment

19.99 is the one i use, it works good onces you get the hang of it....and i the $14 one wont work iirc.
          Last edited by X_TheLegend_x; March 10, 2005, 10:04 AM.
          1993 Ford Probe GT, Electric blue, "Shucks Special" WAI..., Hotshot Headers, Catco Highflow Cat., Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Fidanza 9lb Fywheel, , MSD 6A, MSD Blaster 3 Coil, PRD Plugwires, XTC Grounding Kit. , ACT Clutch. 1/4 mile... 14.9

Parting out car

Comment

The 14.99 compressor will NOT work with our heads. Snap on makes a good valve spring compressor that bolts to the top of the head and you pry down with a specialy tool. Definately alot easier then the craftsman tool.
            Mods:
            - 2 holes in 2 seperate pistons thanks to my good pal juice. ZE, now all thats left are CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2. on a new ZE.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Comment

Originally posted by X_TheLegend_x
              19.99 is the one i use works good ones you get the hang of it....
              Thanks, I'm sure by the 24th I'll have figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by jon93PGT
                [b]

Paeco- http://www.paeco.com/- I haven't done much research on this company, although the rumor is that they supply oversize valves. If you want to spend the extra money to machine your valveseats, this company will provide the valves. I do not know of the quality of their parts, customer service, etc...
                I ordered a set of springs for my ZE from PAECO. They had me send them a valve, HLA, spring, retainer & a pair of locks so they could be sure to send me the right parts. I wrapped the HLA in a shop towel to protect it. I told them on the phone, in an e-mail & in a note I sent along that I wanted a set of springs for the intake valves & I also specifically said I wanted a set of 12 each of the inner & outer springs and retainers. They were sent to my friends repair shop & he paid $496 c.o.d. when I wasn't there. When I opened he box I discovered that they had sent me 24 of each. They put my HLA loose in the box without the shop towel to protect it. I have returned half of the parts & am waiting for a refund which they said they would issue. My machine shop found that the spring ends are not chamfered so I'm paying them to do that. I seem to recall reading that the Interprep springs are chamfered.

When my machine shop couldn't locate a pair of locks to replace the ones that had been dropped I called Interprep & spoke to Alistair's wife. She forwarded my inquiry to Alistair as he was at a historic race at Sebring. When we spoke the next day I could hear race cars whizzing by. He told me to check with Ford & Mazda dealers & if I couldn't find anyting he would look into it when he got back to his shop.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions as to how this speaks for the customer service (& the product quality) of the 2 companies. For myself, I will take my future business to Interprep.

Ford has discontinued the valve locks which they call a "retainer key." The dealer I called checked on their computer system & found a dealer that had 18 in stock so I took a half hour drive & got them. If anyone wants the part # let me know & I will post it.
                Last edited by Pintoracer; March 10, 2005, 03:20 PM.
                KEN
                '93 Probe GT, KLZE, Superior Friction Clutch, Accusump, TC Designs Custom Oil Pan, Sewer Pipe CAI, Drilled Out Bango Bolt, Yellow Fuzzy Dice Hanging From Mirror, Cooler Decals Than Anything You Got

...........okay i lied about the dice

Comment

i was under the impression that the millenia has solid lifters not HLA's?
                  Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
                  Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
                  Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
                  The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

no, the Millenia has HLAs, its some year of the 626 that has the solid lifters... Perhaps the 98?

And Ken..... I too spoke with both Alistair and his wife when I was purchasing springs... His springs are great looking parts and I know they'll do well in my heads... But, he definitely has great customer service, and parts as well.
                    2014 BMW 328d Luxury Line- Mineral White/Saddle Brown Leather, Premium Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, car seats inside

2003 BMW 330i ZHP- Alpine White/Natural Brown Montana Leather, Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Certified Dinan Stage III, car seats inside

Comment

Originally posted by jon93PGT
                      no, the Millenia has HLAs, its some year of the 626 that has the solid lifters... Perhaps the 98?

And Ken..... I too spoke with both Alistair and his wife when I was purchasing springs... His springs are great looking parts and I know they'll do well in my heads... But, he definitely has great customer service, and parts as well.
                      im pretty positive 98+ mazda millenia and 626 heads all have solid lifters in fact i am positive i work at a parts store and thats what its listed as in the computer for every year after 98 for those 2 cars. its also listed in my chiltons manual. i think there like $24 ea but ill have to double check

if you switch to interprep springs which are DE sized and DE retainers and locks in a ZE head couldnt you just switch to DE sized intake HLAs or solid lifters??
                      if you cant why not?
                      also about whats the max sustained rpm for interprep springs?
                      thanx alot
                      dustin
                      ~Dustin~Infantry leads the way!
                      Lazi Ramadi
                      "But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." William Butler Yeats
                      Race PGT aka "Spidey" Blue PGT aka "the anti-spidey" White PGT Rio-Red PGT Budget Hotrod project '02 Jeep Jeep play-thing

Comment

No. The outer diameter of the ZE HLA (on the intakes) is bigger & so is the bore that it rides in. A DE sized HLA would flop around in a ZE head.
                        Last edited by Pintoracer; March 15, 2005, 10:00 PM.
                        KEN
                        '93 Probe GT, KLZE, Superior Friction Clutch, Accusump, TC Designs Custom Oil Pan, Sewer Pipe CAI, Drilled Out Bango Bolt, Yellow Fuzzy Dice Hanging From Mirror, Cooler Decals Than Anything You Got

Comment

how much bigger is the intake HLA on the ZE?
                          Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
                          Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
                          Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
                          The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

I have a vague recollection of reading a post somewhere on PT that it's 1 mm bigger. Your timing is impeccable. I'll be installing the HLAs in my ZE tomorrow. I'll try to remember to measure them. My vernier caliper measures in inches so you'll have to convert it.
                            KEN

Comment

ZE intake HLAs are 31mm, and the DE HLAs are 30mm....

Comment

I haven't seen anyone list it yet, but Ferrea valvetrains are located @ www.importperformanceparts.net along with some other high performance goodies. Just FYI incase y'all didn't know.
                                Anthony D. Christiano

Comment

Working...
                                X