No announcement yet.

Next Project: mid-engine Hayabusa-powered Miata.....the Miatabusa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you guys want another hand I'm out in Folsom. I have a friend in SoCal that would gladly buy a seat in a Lemons car as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
      It's the front roll hoop. It's basically the front rollover structure, hence the height. A seated/belted driver must have 2" clearance between any part of the helmet and an imaginary line (or broomstick) connecting the front & main roll hoops.

I was initially going to make the cage like the Lotus 2-11, but to be big track legal you must have a front rollover structure and the driver must fit inside the imaginary line connecting the main rollover hoops. The racing 2-11s have a much higher front roll hoop.

So the compromise was a C-Production type cage.
      Ah, that makes sense. I was familiar with the rule/guide. I just didn't put it together with the roadster style cage.
      JoBo Racing: https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing
      '93 Mazda 626
      '94 Ford Probe SE

Comment

Originally posted by varneraa View Post
        If you guys want another hand I'm out in Folsom. I have a friend in SoCal that would gladly buy a seat in a Lemons car as well.
        The engine in this car puts it out of Lemons status. A GSXR 1000 or snowmobile engine with CVT, however.....
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Or the same engine, but out of a bike that was wrapped around a tree...
          1990 Miata - Purpose built autocross machine / Summer DD...wait, that doesn't seem right
          2000 Focus ZX3 - Winter DD
          1992 Miata - Winter beater / parts car
          1991 Probe LX - Exactly as reliable as it needed to be - Sold
          1997 Probe 2.0 - DD / mildly under-prepared autox car - Officially dead at 230k

Comment

The engine in this car puts it out of Lemons status. A GSXR 1000 or snowmobile engine with CVT, however.....
            What are you guys planning to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by iwent1165 View Post
              Or the same engine, but out of a bike that was wrapped around a tree...
              The engine alone is about $2500. Usually without accessories, and usually out of dropped/wrecked bikes.

Originally posted by varneraa
              What are you guys planning to do with it?

Autocross, for starters - weekend fun car for the whole family, so to speak. It will be a test bed as well for some parts being developed for a subsequent FSAE car.
              90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
              93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
              97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

This is quite the interesting build. A few questions:

Why have a dash? Could the gauges just be mounted via roll cage?

What tire wheel combo?

Brake system, will the motor run vacuum for vacuum assisted brakes? or just no brake booster?

and what is the weight of the motor in comparison to you and your seat? Will weight have to be added to one of the sides to balance that?
                I think it's an obsession!
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/911982_1

Comment

Originally posted by B-Ball View Post

Why have a dash? Could the gauges just be mounted via roll cage?

What tire wheel combo?

Brake system, will the motor run vacuum for vacuum assisted brakes? or just no brake booster?

and what is the weight of the motor in comparison to you and your seat? Will weight have to be added to one of the sides to balance that?

There won't be a dash. Just a carbon plate with the RPM gauge (or just an AIM display unit).

Still deciding on wheel size. 13x8 up to 13x10 is what I'm targeting, with the tires slated to be the Avon 20.5" slicks.

Brakes will be stock, vacuum assist TBD.

Motor & transmission weigh 180 lb, give or take 10% depending on manifold materials. Car balance will be done via the suspension and placement of battery & electronics. Not likely to need ballast. There'll be a manual brake balance adjuster.

And speaking of car balance, thanks to fat people, Wal-Mart sells pretty accurate 440-lb scales. Four of those (@ $25 each) should be a very good starter kit for a corner balance jig. Throw in an Excel spreadsheet and it'll do 99% of the work of a $1500 unit.

Comment

And speaking of car balance, thanks to fat people, Wal-Mart sells pretty accurate 440-lb scales. Four of those (@ $25 each) should be a very good starter kit for a corner balance jig. Throw in an Excel spreadsheet and it'll do 99% of the work of a $1500 unit.
                    PaTricK
                    ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

...or so I thought. I don't think it'll work quite as smoothly as I imagined.

For one, the scales' auto-off thing is quite annoying and can't be changed unless you mess with the internal board, so after 5-8 seconds of showing the weight the numbers go off. This wouldn't be so bad, but that doesn't seem enough to get rid of some of the remaining hysteresis in the suspension, and you can't really jump up and down on the car to get it settled on account of the low max weight per corner.

So while it was a good starter idea, it'll be scrapped. I think some slightly more expensive (around $60-80 each) industrial 500-lb scales would be much better.

At least I did weigh the rolling chassis and she's sitting at 940 lb with 51/49 weigh distribution F/R, but there are quite a few things still needing to go in the car -

*engine/gearbox/manifolds/shifter - 200 lb
                      *engine mounting cradle, diff, axles and diff cradle - 100 lb
                      *driver seat, rails, belt - 40 lb
                      *battery, wiring and electronics - 40 lb
                      *fuel system - 25 lb
                      *hood/trunk/bumpers/doors - 100-200 lb (depending on how much goes back in - I could leave it as is for 0 lb)

So it looks like it'll make my internal goal of 1500 lb wet, turn key. Maybe a little better with some composites or just sheer disregard of good taste.

Comment

Don't think vacuum assist will be required, just a small change in the pedal ratio
                        Contrary to popular opinion, I do have mechanical sympathy, I always feel sorry for the cars I drive.

Comment

Miata = Instant approval of this thread.

That is all, carry on.
                          Stephen Wilds #303
                          PhotoPOC
                          BMW 328i
                          BMW Z4

Comment

Hey Dan, I have some Longacre scales that would be perfect for this project. Used & not expensive. Please send me a PM for details (I can't send to you cause I don't have any posts here).

Comment

and here I was waiting for Jurassic World and Age of Ultron. F- those, cant wait until July 2015
                              it is better to be a smart fella than a fart smella

Comment

Towing 950 lb is quite a pleasure

She's back home for a deserved 8-10 week hibernation period while drivetrain mounting and components are designed.

Comment

Working...
                                X