Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any difference internally engine wise from 1995 to 1996 SE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any difference internally engine wise from 1995 to 1996 SE.

Hey all first question on here. I have a chance to get a rebuilt and machined head with shim and gasket kit as well as a re-ring kit and new bearing set for my 1996 SE. I have the engine out for a possible swap refresh anyway and while wasn't planning on going that in depth, he has over 800 in receipts for the parts and I would be looking at less than 400 to get it all.

They came of a 1995 FS block OBD1, is there any difference between the internal components? I would hate to get all excited drop the cash and than be very sad when I can't use them. Thank you all for any feedback :-D

no one? Supposed to seal this deal soon..

Comment

As far as I know, there is no difference internally year to year in a probe FS motor. You should be good to go. If anything doesn't fit, it won't be because of a difference in the motor from 95 to 96.
      Last edited by 2.2NAtuner; April 20, 2014, 02:21 PM.
      2.0 5 speed->1994 Ford Probe SE Tunerd
      I still DRIVE THAT MUTHA!!!

Comment

nice, thx alot, going to give it a go than. I have had the block apart before but never actually did any work on it besides switching out the bottom part of the engine block when switching an AT engine into my 5spd, so will definitely be a learning experience.

Comment

95-96 was the switchover from OBDI to OBDII, but as far as I know, the internals are identical across all years of the Probe generation of the FS motor. The only differences are in external engine components. I don't know how much you care, but the ECU may be unhappy with some of the sensors (and lack of certain other sensors) on an OBDI engine. This problem should be resolved by either not caring about a check engine light, or swapping over some sensors and maybe the upper exhaust from your old engine.
          1990 Miata - Purpose built autocross machine / Summer DD...wait, that doesn't seem right
          2000 Focus ZX3 - Winter DD
          1992 Miata - Winter beater / parts car
          1991 Probe LX - Exactly as reliable as it needed to be - Sold
          1997 Probe 2.0 - DD / mildly under-prepared autox car - Officially dead at 230k

Comment

Thank you iwent, good idea on switching over the sensors. I have 2 complete engines and all the accessories and Head off another so should be able to make that work

Comment

Working...
            X