Flasher Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher Module

Car is a '93 PGT. The left turn signal is intermittent. When it's not working, the flasher sound is a rapid clicking, about twice as fast as is normal when it's working, or the right turn signal is on. When it's not working, the hazard lights on the left side don't work either. I suspect a connection to the flasher module, but darned if I know where to look for it. It makes sense it would be in the passenger compartment, so you could hear the relays pulling in and out so you know the turn signal's on. Can someone direct me where to look? Like under the dash, or next to the inside fusebox? Thanks...

The Signal Flasher Relay is under the drivers side dash right near the Hood Release

There 3 relay's under there, it is the middle one.

Just wiggle it and pull, I think I used some needle nose pliers and pulled. It should come out pretty easily.
    '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
    '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

On my Probe, the Flasher Module is mounted under the dash, and a 7 pin connector plugs into the bottom of it. I can correct the problem if I get the connector just right; the flashers and hazard lights work correctly. But the solution is short-lived. As soon as I stop applying pressure to the connector the left turn signal and left hazard lights stop working. I don't know if it's the flasher module or not. I kind of doubt it because it works sometimes. If the module were bad I'd think it wouldn't ever work at all.

There have been posts from other drivers that have interrmittent problems the same as mine. But no one has ever said what they did to solve the intermittent problem. Does anyone know what the fix is?

Thanks...

Comment

If you're applying pressure to make it work, then most likely you have a bad connector, or a short in the wiring near it. Look for any sign of corrosion on the connector, or if it looks damaged/stretched/etc. If that doesn't yield anything inspect the wiring near the connector and test for something shorting to ground.
        Also, check the price on a new flasher unit - the one I bought for another vehicle was quite cheap; so at some point in the inspection it may be worthwhile to buy one and see if that fixes the problem.
        '91 LX ATX: stock(ish), barn restoration R.I.P.
        '95 GT MTX: modded intake and exhaust, front strut bar, mirror-tinted rear windows, leather, sun roof. Way too much fun to drive! summer DD/play car
        '99 Subaru Outback Ltd MTX: Stuff hauler, winter DD
        '92 GL MTX SOLD.

Comment

A new flasher module is $ 40.00. I have one of the way, just as a precaution. There's no obvious corrosion on the connector. Interesting enough I drove the car a few miles today and the left turn signal worked properly. Then just before I got home, it quit again. I think the issue may be in the wiring harness somewhere. Unless there's something flaky with the module. The replacement should be here in a few days. I was hoping to hear from someone who had this intermittent problem and learn what they had done to fix it. This is verily driving me crazy!
          Last edited by mike1027; May 1, 2016, 01:53 PM. Reason: I forgot something

Comment

Never had the issue with a Probe, but I did have that happen with the POS dodge dakota I drove for a while. Swapped out most of the wiring between the bulb and the firewall only to find out both (used) flasher modules I had tried were bad. >.< But that truck had wiring issues like crazy. Most of the connectors weren't properly moisture-sealed and consequently there was corrosion everywhere. I feel your pain and I wish I could be more helpful!
            '91 LX ATX: stock(ish), barn restoration R.I.P.
            '95 GT MTX: modded intake and exhaust, front strut bar, mirror-tinted rear windows, leather, sun roof. Way too much fun to drive! summer DD/play car
            '99 Subaru Outback Ltd MTX: Stuff hauler, winter DD
            '92 GL MTX SOLD.

Comment

Working...
            X