My ongoing Probe build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dammitcam View Post
    My body shop said that the lip isn't salvageable.. So I got ****ed out of $150 yay me!
    I wish you lived down this way. I don't like working with fiberglass but that lip would be an easy fix. I completely wiped out my Millennium kit back when i fit a deer. To took a while but i finally had it all back together. the nose alone was in over 20 recovered pieces and a few I believe were hidden somewhere inside the deer. Your lip is in only3 pieces and is fixable. The body shop you went to obviously would rather make easier money doing insurance jobs. Go around to all the local car shows and cruise ins and talk to people and you may find a body man that will do it for you and cheaper than a shop.
    1993 Probe GT
    2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

Originally posted by dammitcam View Post
      My body shop said that the lip isn't salvageable.. So I got ****ed out of $150 yay me!
      Cheap and easy fix... ZIP TIES!
      Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
      STEVE B
      1993 Probe GT
      2016 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by P1P View Post
        it's fiberglass it can be fixed

you just have to get a person that knows what they doing
        I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing but these guys have been doing body work since I was just a mere glimmer in my dad's eye. We have the biggest body shop in grand rapids MI. I even told them it was no rush to fix it. So I don't know. I have never worked with fiberglass before.
        1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
        Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

If your body shop can't fix it then that's not a shop that would work on my car. You could actually fix it yourself.

Sandpaper
          Resin
          Fiberglass matting
          Bondo
          Matte roller

Short version tutorial - Sand the part, position the 2 parts together, have the in a postion where they don't move (clamp or jig or make a metal brace for the back side) mix resin, add light coat to back side apply matte first light coat is just to keep the mate in place apply second light coat then more matte (amount of layers up to you)
          watch out for air bubbles. Go to the front side and do the same process. Let part dry overnight. Next day scuff area apply Bondo let Bondo dry (sand) smooth out work area then you ready for primer and paint.

Those are the basics to what you have to do, not exactly what you have to do but the basics

If it was me I would fiberglass in a thin metal brace on the back side of the lip to keep from flexin

Comment

Now if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then here's what I advise.

Find a shop that's does car stereo especially on that does high end installs dealing with customs fiberglass enclosures and that will be the shop that will be able to fix your lip

Just because the shop you deal with is a big shop doesn't mean that specialize in custom work. I got a guy here in Atlanta that been in many magazines and his shop is behind his house and he does way better work than most big shops. So being a big shop doesn't always mean anything

Comment

Thank you for the advise P1P I'm sure there are also tutorials on the Youtubes lol
              1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come

Comment

I got a Sensei front bum per years ago that was missing an entire section and I was able to fiberglass in a piece so you couldn't even notice.

They probably didn't feel it was worth "their" time.

Btw, I am by no means a fiberglass professional, just some guy that tinkers with stuff.
                '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by Greg 94 PGT View Post
                  I got a Sensei front bum per years ago that was missing an entire section and I was able to fiberglass in a piece so you couldn't even notice.

They probably didn't feel it was worth "their" time.

Btw, I am by no means a fiberglass professional, just some guy that tinkers with stuff.
                  I am going to try it out once the weather is a little better and hopefully get a decently ventilated garage.

Comment

I ended up buying a parts car for $200, Wild Orchid, rusted out rear end is buckled, interior is still good. Now lets hope I can sell the Audi and get a house

Comment

• In the pic of the teal mist probe, what lip is that and where can I find it??

Comment

• That's a corksport lip.

It's discontinued......
                        1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• Originally posted by probegt96-7 View Post
                          In the pic of the teal mist probe, what lip is that and where can I find it??
                          Some members may still have one lying around, most won't part with them.. Corksport destroyed the mold for it back in 2014... sad day

Comment

• I've got one I'm considering moving away from...
                            Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
                            Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
                            Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
                            The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Working...
                            X