Replacement Distributor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Distributor ?

After finding out that I need a new distributor for my 94 PGT today (see pic links below) I am looking for a replacement and wanted to ask a couple of questions. First, is there any difference in the new distributors they have on ebay for $100 vs. the ones for $250 at the local parts houses? Also, is there anything in particular I should look for in buying a replacement (improved design, etc..)? If the ones on ebay are basically the same then the $150 savings over local is a good deal. I haven't really done any mods to my car so it's pretty much stock if that makes a difference. I have just sunk so much money into finding this issue with my car that if I can save $150 then I am in favor of that. Money is a bit tight right now so anywhere I can save helps.

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d16d098.jpg

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/...ps95e51346.jpg

P.S. I also found the one at the link below on ebay and it claims to be "Heavy Duty" and exceeds OEM specs but I don't know if thats just a sales pitch or not. If it's better than the $100 ones on ebay it would be worth the extra $44 if it really is better. Still $100 cheaper than the local parts houses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Complete...91e5f0&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by PGTCA; September 30, 2014, 08:55 PM.
    1994 PGT - Electric Currant Red

My Photobucket Link

If it was me I would go threw the Auto parts houses. My experience with the bay has been mediocre at best with other Probe stuff
    Last edited by ScottD961; September 30, 2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

^ True.. Plus on autozone.com with a promo code you can get a distributor with a lifetime warranty for 200+ tax
      Last edited by zerialz; September 30, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Someone on here not too long ago bought a bay disty and it came bad in the box and off to the local parts store he went. You may want one with a lifetime warranty. So when it does go bad a free one is only a phone call away. And if you buy one online through Zone, SAVE THE RECEIPT. the warranty info may not enter into their system correctly. And don't use paypal on the Zone website, it makes things worse. Trust me I used to work there.
        Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Just ordered one from ebay for a 100 bucks will be here in 2 days or less. I will let you know how it turns out

Comment

Spada got one for his mx3 and was poop when I put it on my gts. Had to wire 93 style in and the gets was good. Couldn't tell on the mx3 it was on tho cause it also had a bad vaf.
            94 PGT
            [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

I'm sorry not ebay. **** that site I ment amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ScottD961 View Post
                If it was me I would go threw the Auto parts houses. My experience with the bay has been mediocre at best with other Probe stuff
                I would normally get one from the parts houses without question but their prices are 2 1/2 to 3+ times what I can get one for on ebay so thats why I am considering it.

Originally posted by zerialz View Post
                ^ True.. Plus on autozone.com with a promo code you can get a distributor with a lifetime warranty for 200+ tax
                The cheapest one on Autozone is a Reman Cardone for $200 with a code. The exact same one on ebay is $90 same MFG & everything. A new would be about $270 with code so they are almost triple what one on ebay can be bought for and thats why I am thinking about it. If the price was a little closer I wouldnt even think about ebay.

Originally posted by yellowrob View Post
                Someone on here not too long ago bought a bay disty and it came bad in the box and off to the local parts store he went. You may want one with a lifetime warranty. So when it does go bad a free one is only a phone call away. And if you buy one online through Zone, SAVE THE RECEIPT. the warranty info may not enter into their system correctly. And don't use paypal on the Zone website, it makes things worse. Trust me I used to work there.
                So if I do decide to go the Autozone route then just use a credit card? Why is Paypal a bad way to go?

Originally posted by junior419 View Post
                Just ordered one from ebay for a 100 bucks will be here in 2 days or less. I will let you know how it turns out
                Thanks, I would really appreciate if you could let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Originally posted by xrp861 View Post
                Spada got one for his mx3 and was poop when I put it on my gts. Had to wire 93 style in and the gets was good. Couldn't tell on the mx3 it was on tho cause it also had a bad vaf.
                Was his from ebay or a parts house?

My Photobucket Link

Comment

Do not buy this distributer

NEW FORD MAZDA IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR 2.5L V6 DOHC COMPLETE
                  4USA

From amazon it was a cheap $100 but it will not reach 10btc. I have it on my car now and it will only reach 8 btc while fully advanced. I also lost rpm readings on the dash with this distributer. Putting my old one back on and returning this for a refund

Comment

that's exactly it... These things fail ALL the time.. Unless you're going to do the HEI mod you need to pony up a few extra bucks to save in the long run..

Comment

that's exactly it... These things fail ALL the time.. Unless you're going to do the HEI mod you need to pony up a few extra bucks to save in the long run..
                      Thought about it. But not to sure about how to go about setting that up. I read the forums. I have trouble understanding it with put some pics

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

I just got this disty in the mail today

Comment

Holy shit so I just drove my car with that disty fully advanced. I thought why not give it a try. 8btc, close enough right?

My car pulls harder than ever. Didn't even know she had that much power. No hesitation. No stumble. No hiccup. All the way to the Rev limiter (I think because you know, rpm gauge inop with this disty)

Comment

I would keep this disty but being fully advanced and only reaching 8btc bothers me. Not to mention my rpm gauge not working with it ethier

Comment

Do not buy this distributer

NEW FORD MAZDA IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR 2.5L V6 DOHC COMPLETE
                            4USA

From amazon it was a cheap $100 but it will not reach 10btc. I have it on my car now and it will only reach 8 btc while fully advanced. I also lost rpm readings on the dash with this distributer. Putting my old one back on and returning this for a refund
                            I just looked at that one and the casting is completely different than any other I have seen & I have looked at dozens around the web.

I want to do the HEI mod but after talking to a guy at a smog shop this afternoon, it's an automatic fail on the visual test BC that mod isn't allowed in CA. I had been told otherwise though.

Holy shit so I just drove my car with that disty fully advanced. I thought why not give it a try. 8btc, close enough right?

My car pulls harder than ever. Didn't even know she had that much power. No hesitation. No stumble. No hiccup. All the way to the Rev limiter (I think because you know, rpm gauge inop with this disty)
                            I am hoping mine gets back to it's original power I was used to before it started acting up. I miss the juice!

Thought about it. But not to sure about how to go about setting that up. I read the forums. I have trouble understanding it with put some pics I want to it too but I am getting conflicting info on if it's allowed in CA for our inspections.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

I just got this disty in the mail today
                            I would keep this disty but being fully advanced and only reaching 8btc bothers me. Not to mention my rpm gauge not working with it ethier
                            Did your gauge work before the new disty?

My Photobucket Link

Comment

Yes my gauge did. I messaged the seller about it. Waiting for a reply. That's my main issue. If they fix that and get the timing part fixed then its a great buy

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

It fits on great. Rote is nice and tight. Plenty of juice. Lifetime warranty. Just has those two big issues

Comment

Working...
                              X