Any garbage truck experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any garbage truck experts?

Anyone know the top speed of a garbage truck?

Stephen is playing GTA:VC and he just stole the Trashmaster garbage truck. He made the comment, "Oh my god this thing is ****in' slow."

So I pointed out that one never sees garbage trucks on the interstate. You see dump trucks, of course, but never really see garabage trucks in high speed situations.

So we were curious...what is the top speed of a common garbage truck?

Garbage is great.
    ~SumR
    I don't own a car anymore and it's weird.

I would pay good money to see a fully loaded garbage truck on a drag strip. Maybe versus the aforementioned dump truck?

Dump truck.

heh...

dumps like a truck, truck, truck...

heh
    word.
    Matt Martin
    2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Comment

Originally posted by CajunCC

dumps like a truck, truck, truck...

heh
      word.

FYI: After he made this post, he had the MP3 of "The Thong Song" on repeat for like 10 mintues... I really need to move out...

Greg Martin
      2009 BMW 328i
      2017 BMW X3
      1990 Probe LX

Comment

Re: Any garbage truck experts?

Originally posted by Snorb93GT
        Anyone know the top speed of a garbage truck?

Stephen is playing GTA:VC and he just stole the Trashmaster garbage truck. He made the comment, "Oh my god this thing is ****in' slow."

So I pointed out that one never sees garbage trucks on the interstate. You see dump trucks, of course, but never really see garabage trucks in high speed situations.

So we were curious...what is the top speed of a common garbage truck?

Garbage is great.
        Ha ha ha!

Well, as an engineer I know all sorts of useless information about all sorts of vehicles.

For a newer Garbage truck (hypothetically say the McNeilus AutoReach Volvo WX64 Dual-Drive Expeditor) you're probably looking at an unladen weight of just over 32,000 lbs.

Most heavy duty trucks are powered by large turbocharged inline 6 diesel engines, with this one being no exception. The engine choice is up to the buyer.

If the truck is equipped with a 7.3 liter Volvo engine, the output will be a staggering 275 horsepower @ 2200 rpm and a tire melting (if there's a compost fire in the back) 800 ft-lbs of torque at 1200 rpm.

Given a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission, you should expect 0-60 times in the mid 30 second range with a top speed between 65 and 70 mph.
        www.NogaroBlue.com
        -2001 Audi S4 biturbo
        -2004 Audi Allroad biturbo
        -2010 VW Routan-1995 Ford Ranger 4x4-
        -My Photos- -Nürburgring FAQ- -4 Ways To Dominate-

Comment

Originally posted by Bufalo
          FYI: After he made this post, he had the MP3 of "The Thong Song" on repeat for like 10 mintues... I really need to move out...

LMAO. What a dork. He kept talking about dumping like a truck, too. Heh.

Shome, you are the man! Thanks! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.
          ~SumR
          I don't own a car anymore and it's weird.

Comment

i dunno but a unloaded Greyhound can do a 27 in the 1/4 mile.

Comment

I've always wondered what the terminal velocity of a UPS truck is.
              Travis --.................................................. .../ \
              '94 Talon TSi AWD.................................................. ._\ /_
              The bump in my hood means I am happy to see you.-../__/ \__\

Comment

Originally posted by rendell
                I've always wondered what the terminal velocity of a UPS truck is.
                Find me drag coefficient and frontal area values...and I can tell you.

www.NogaroBlue.com
                -2001 Audi S4 biturbo

Comment

Originally posted by Shomegrown

With what for an engine?

~Silver
                  ~Aaron~
                  1993 Silver PGT MTX ~~R.I.P~5/7/14

Comment

Originally posted by Shomegrown

It'd be much more fun to just drop one out of an airplane, dontcha think?
                    Travis --.................................................. .../ \
                    '94 Talon TSi AWD.................................................. ._\ /_
                    The bump in my hood means I am happy to see you.-../__/ \__\

Comment

Originally posted by rendell
                      It'd be much more fun to just drop one out of an airplane, dontcha think?
                      Without a doubt, a hypothesis is made to be tested.

www.NogaroBlue.com
                      -2001 Audi S4 biturbo

Comment

my frist dump truck toped out at 68mph with a 8 speed with low low loaded with 16 ton i could only run 60 she was old my 99 sterling ran 85 then the turbo would shut down it was a quad axle same tranny i could get her to move just as fast loaded as unloaded with 23 ton in the bed... faster you go the more you got done and the more u got done was more you got paid
                        |_96 PGT_|_Red_| SOLD
                        |_00 VW Golf GTI_|_red_|
                        |_92 ranger_|_teal_|

Comment

Originally posted by H8N_RicE
                          my frist dump truck toped out at 68mph with a 8 speed with low low loaded with 16 ton i could only run 60 she was old my 99 sterling ran 85 then the turbo would shut down it was a quad axle same tranny i could get her to move just as fast loaded as unloaded with 23 ton in the bed... faster you go the more you got done and the more u got done was more you got paid
                          Wow. Think of how long it would take you to stop going 85 with 23 tons of payload...at least 1/2 mile!

Most trucks which see highway duty (dump trucks, semis, etc) have their speed limiters set slightly higher than in-town trucks (garbage trucks, buses, fire trucks etc).

Too bad trucks aren't built like the Mercedes Racing Truck. Yep, that thing is 1200 horsepower, runs over 80 psi of boost, and would likely embarrass nearly every car on this board on a road course.
                          www.NogaroBlue.com
                          -2001 Audi S4 biturbo

Comment

I'd like to extend a huge to those who test the performance capabilities of various commercial vehicles.

Greg Martin
                            2009 BMW 328i
                            2017 BMW X3
                            1990 Probe LX

Comment

Wow 86 mph in a dump truck is pretty quick.
                              The 28' Ryder truck I was using the other day had a limiter at 66mph. It got to 70 downhill though.

BTW, I noticed last year they had an all diesel event at Englishtown raceway in jersey. The flier showed a 10 wheel Peterbuilt dump truck leaving the lights against a 10 wheel Mack tractor.
                              Jonathan Seifert
                              93 PGT, 1st AAS kit in the east, alot more mods than most, Robin's egg blue custom paint.(SOLD)
                              05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
                              11 Toyota Rav4
                              NPA!

Comment

Working...
                              X