No announcement yet.

The How-To for cam clearancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sure...I will be making adjustments to mine as needed, once I measure them..It can't hurt.
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

Did I mention that if you remove .001 in doing this proceedure -you increase your exhaust and intake lift by .001?
      Success is a measure of determination!
      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Haha..that should make me gobs of power! The extra .001 lift on a .4xx lift grind will put me over the top! Lol
        John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
        '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
        '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
        '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

So instead of removing the piston squirters, Mazda should have improved their manufacturing tolerances. Awesome!
          1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

Originally posted by MIHELA View Post
            So instead of removing the piston squirters, Mazda should have improved their manufacturing tolerances. Awesome!
            Not "Instead of" -but more like "in addition to"
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

This is great! I'm kinda new to this.
              Question, but more like a comment. Cam caps are entirely not interchangeable between kl motors?. Also, I have heard of people running cams in journals that have very little marks, is this proper/healthy if they are cleaned up?
              The daily driver: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389595...t-hatchback-2d

Comment

Originally posted by DDDyloD View Post
                This is great! I'm kinda new to this.
                Question, but more like a comment. Cam caps are entirely not interchangeable between kl motors?. Also, I have heard of people running cams in journals that have very little marks, is this proper/healthy if they are cleaned up?
                You can clean them up but if the scoring is fairly deep -your oil clearance will go out the window before they clean up. That is why I say to trash the heads if they have significant scoring.

And no -cam caps are not interchangeable. Runout is when you bore long bores with a narrow boring bit and the bit wanders off center. The cam bearings (caps/cradles) are bored with such a boring bar and so it is rare for two heads to share the same bore alignment. And .001 in bore missalignment between cam cap bearing and cam cradle bearing -can cause the cam to seize and snap. I've seen quite a few people on here do it!
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

michael, i hope you don't mind, but i'm going to move this to the "how to" forum. pics can be posted there and it would be the perfect place to put the thread.

good work.
                  ProbeTalk is BACK! Once again, it's what you use the Internet for!

Let's get DANGEROUS!

Comment

why i spend the extra money buying a set of heads off you. I know they will be in spec at least

Comment

Originally posted by dmark101 View Post
                      michael, i hope you don't mind, but i'm going to move this to the "how to" forum. pics can be posted there and it would be the perfect place to put the thread.

good work.
                      No problem! I have more to come but just need the time to do the photo work/ write-ups. When I get the time -I will post up.
                      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Here is a pic of one of the caps. It doesn't feel bad at all, it just looks bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DDDyloD View Post
                          Here is a pic of one of the caps. It doesn't feel bad at all, it just looks bad.

If that is the worst one then yes -that will clean up. I would not remove any more than neccessary to get them smooth again. And stick with 1000 grit before the polishing cream. Use your finger wrapped with a piece of sandpaper in a twisting action in the cap. Try to maintain even pressure on all the bearing surface area. -In other words -do not sand with a little more pressure to one side because you will cause your clearance to be inconsistant. If you have to remove much at all -check to see that the plastigauge "squeezes out" to equal widths for the entire length of the strip to be sure that you didn't open up the clearance more to one side than another.

The clearance around the cam journal should decrease some towards the sides of the bearing caps because it diminishes to half (gap to each side of the cam). But anywhere towards the top -the clearance should be symmetrical from front to back. And you could check the clearance to the sides of the cams by doubling the measurement. If you get .0015 on each side then you would have a total of .003 (which is good). Plastigauge is fairly cheap so buy a lot of it and use it exceesively and you will get a better idea of your clearances.

Just remember that since the cam is sitting at the bottom of the lower cradle bearing -the clearance will be closest to the total and it will decrease gradually to half of the total as you near the cap split line. So -if you were to wrap a piece of plastigauge around the cam journal from split line to split line -your reading would go from half the tollerance at the split line (3 & 9 O'clock positions) to full clearance (12 o'clock position).
                          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 20, 2012, 10:38 AM.
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help and info!!

Comment

weird i just read about this lol http://www.xtremethings.com/HowTo.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 1995pgt_ View Post
                                weird i just read about this lol http://www.xtremethings.com/HowTo.htm
                                That is b/c that is his website!! He leads the scene.
                                Posed by jicks = I'm either hungry or horny, so If you see me without a boner, make me a sandwhich.

Comment

Working...
                                X