How To Remove Wheel Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Remove Wheel Lock

So you lost your wheel lock key and need to take the wheel off...

Wheel Lock

I used an "Emergency Wheel Lock Extractor" reverse thread socket.

Hand tighten the socket on the wheel lock, making sure it is threading on straight.

Thread it on until it is tight and has a good grip on the wheel lock. I used a ratchet...

You can use a breaker bar to remove the wheel lock...

But, I used my electric impact gun...

In a few seconds the wheel lock is off.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

So, how do you get the wheel lock out of the socket? The instructions on the lock extractor's package says to "cut some flats on the end of the wheel lock, put it in a vise and unscrew the socket." An easier way to remove the wheel lock without grinding is....

Get a bolt the same size as your wheel studs, and two nuts for that bolt. 12 x 1.50

Clamp that into a vise with some length for the wheel lock to screw onto.

Thread the socket with the wheel lock onto the bolt..

Then reverse the socket off the wheel lock with the impact gun.

Remove the bolt and wheel lock from the vise, loosen the back nut, put back into vise with the front nut and wheel lock outside the jaws. Back the nut away from the wheel lock.

All done or maybe three more wheel locks to go...

No grinding, no chiseling, no flame torches, no freezing and braking the wheel lock, no welding something to the wheel lock, no hammering a socket onto the wheel lock.

If I ever buy wheel locks again, I will order a replacement key socket asap for a spare!
    Last edited by SBPGT; April 9, 2016, 07:17 PM.
    Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
    STEVE B
    1993 Probe GT
    2016 Mustang

i had to do this once, i used whats called a gator grip socket which worked but by the 4th wheel it damaged the sockets nails (if you want to call them that) so i took it back and got a refund, 4 lock nuts removed, cost $0.
    Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
    Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
    Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

I hate wheel lock nuts deal with finding the key daily at work

Worse is when the nut breaks and leaves about 3 threads of the nut stuck on the stud holding the wheel on. What a mess.

We install them on everything new at work just trying to make a buck
      94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

Working...
      X