No announcement yet.

FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll take it when the wiring's done, sometime tomorrow afternoon I hope.

The pipes will probably get coated in silver, though I don't really have a preference, so if black is cheaper and works the same, they will be black.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

• The parachute is awesome, can't wait to see some 150+ traps.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
      HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
      Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
      As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

• Summit Racing just set a new record! I ordered parts yesterday around 4:30 pm PST, and this morning at 9:30am they were on my doorstep!!! Holy crap, that is nice.

I got some hose for the oil return line, and a few odds and ends.

The holy grail of parts though was the fitting for welding on the oil pan...before, I was looking for a bung to weld on, then a fitting to thread into the bung, etc...

After some searching, I found that Russell makes a steel -10AN male end that's a weld-on part, thus combining everything into one. This way, I just weld that to the oil pan, and thread my -10AN hose end on it and call it a day. No more messing with teflon or other chemicals to prevent leaks.

Best of all, it was only $11 for this part, as opposed to usually $12 for the bung and another $15-20 for the NPT-to-AN fitting.

It's Russell Part# 683720 (summit p/n SUM-683720). They also make this for -8AN line and I *think* for -12AN line.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/14df542f.jpg
        Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 13, 2010, 11:30 PM.
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

• I use that -10 weld on part for my oil pan as well, woot.
          Chrome wheeled, fuel injected, and steppin out over the line
          PRD - The original Ford Probe Aftermarket, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD RUN
          1999-2013 : 14 Years of supporting the Probe community
          1997 Ford Probe GTS Turbo | 2000 Jaguar XJ8 | 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer | 1930 Model A Hotrod | 2005 VW Touareg V8

Comment

• Same -10 weld on bung here and on all the SFL turbo KLs.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
            HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
            Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
            As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

• Well then I am in good company

Here is the center console pre-cleanup - the SDS ECU is mounted on the backside of it, since it doesn't require any attention once it's installed.

Comment

• I hope you don't leave the mixture knob that rich all the time, you should bump up all your fuel values and move it back to "neutral". If you had to richen it up for any reason you don't have much left.
                95 Black Probe GT
                Currently being parted out.

Comment

• looking good dan. I as well have one of those bungs that i will be welding on my oil pan. I agree with you 100% on the reasons that its so much better (and cheaper!)
                  95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                  Built, Not Bought.
                  No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                    Well then I am in good company

Here is the center console pre-cleanup - the SDS ECU is mounted on the backside of it, since it doesn't require any attention once it's installed.

CV Axle mod ftw!
                    97 Pgt- getting much needed TLC
                    88 CRX DX d15b i/h/e 40mpg - DD
                    00 Jetta gl-wife's DD

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                      Summit Racing just set a new record! I ordered parts yesterday around 4:30 pm PST, and this morning at 9:30am they were on my doorstep!!! Holy crap, that is nice.

I got some hose for the oil return line, and a few odds and ends.

The holy grail of parts though was the fitting for welding on the oil pan...before, I was looking for a bung to weld on, then a fitting to thread into the bung, etc...

After some searching, I found that Russell makes a steel -10AN male end that's a weld-on part, thus combining everything into one. This way, I just weld that to the oil pan, and thread my -10AN hose end on it and call it a day. No more messing with teflon or other chemicals to prevent leaks.

Best of all, it was only $11 for this part, as opposed to usually $12 for the bung and another $15-20 for the NPT-to-AN fitting.

It's Russell Part# 683720 (summit p/n SUM-683720). They also make this for -8AN line and I *think* for -12AN line.

Beautiful, one less part I have to research a part number and price for.

Thank You Dan.
                      '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                      '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

• Originally posted by FuLcRuM View Post
                        I hope you don't leave the mixture knob that rich all the time, you should bump up all your fuel values and move it back to "neutral". If you had to richen it up for any reason you don't have much left.
                        Ha, I didn't notice that, it should be centered, I think it got bumped during assembly. It's normally dead center as I don't like to mess with remembering where it was.

I will have to be on the dyno to retune due to all the new parts going on it unfortunately (or fortunately, we will see).

As for right now, if you will excuse me, I will retire with a beer or two as the NFL kickoff 2010 is about to be beginning, and I have suffered enough without football since the end of the super bowl until now.

Comment

• The only part i like about football is half time. All those sexy girls chealrleading lol. nice job on the car.
                          Here is the 96 gt turbo No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque 8psi

Comment

• "FUN" ...classy!

Comment

• Today I made the oil return line, and started on the under-engine cradle. I wanted to keep the oil line angled all the way down, so I used a short piece of 30-degree curve pipe I had, and welded that to the oil pan, then welded the male -10AN fitting to the end of the pipe, then made the hose. This way there is a slope to the line all the way up, and it also allowed me to weld the pipe all the way up against the flange of the pan (welded it on the inside of the pan).

Really short on real estate for the line, but somehow it made it through. About 10" of the line are wrapped in XRP Mylar FyreFoil Lite (800*F protection) as it goes within 2" of the hot pipe. I also used this wrap on the rubber lines feeding ice water to the intercooler (last pic).

The ice box is now mounted in the cabin, as is the Bosch Cobra pump that will circulate the water. I think later on this semester I'm going to use my car as a demo in a Thermal Fluid Systems class to calculate the thermal efficiency and pressure loss of the intercooler

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/21674510.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/9a6a862e.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/becf1cc6.jpg
                              Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 15, 2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Getting there, nice work on the pan
                                Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

Working...
                                X