Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea the third switch is the Park Neutral Position Switch. And it seems to do nothing on my car.
    '93 Black on Black with Black Leather GT
    PARTING OUT PROBE
    Parting Out Probe
    18"x8" SSR GT1 with Tires 4 Sale

Comment

Intermediate Shaft

i kinda answered my own question a while back, but if it hasnt already been mentioned i thought id bring it up

with the intermediate shafts, im noticing some have a 2 bolt and some have a 3 bolt pattern. my 97 atx was a 2 and the 93 mtx i swapped with had a 3. not a problem. there are actually 5 holes on the back of the engine that will accept either setup.
      97 GTS - Gone Wonder what it looks like now...
      98 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Just a little tip, be sure to drain your fluids

My oil collection container was full at the time i started my swap, so i skipped that step untill later on... Went to go pull the axels, tranny fluid EVERYWHERE

For some reason tho, there was no fluid that leaked out of the Torque converter. Everyone i talked to was like 'Make sure you put kitty litter down, the TC is gona leak everywhere'. Kinda surpised me when it didnt leak a drop.
        '95 Probe SE ATX->MTX

Comment

im want

im goin to just take everything from under the hood of a 93 and put in in a 94 chassie i just really want to know where do i have to do too the fire wall to get the slave cylinders and what ever else i need to go in or is ther already holes there

Comment

this post is a little late but i finished my swap and have been driving a 5 speed for a month or two now thanks to this write up.

IMO, It is definitely easier to do this if you are able to get a donor car!!
            97 GTS - Gone Wonder what it looks like now...
            98 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUHC, HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY (SP?)

Only thing im still confused about is the 2 wires jumping the 6 and 9, where the hell do those 2 wires go? connect to each other?

Thanks

Comment

have the parts not the cofidence.

i have a 94pgt witha atx. i also have a parts car 93 pgt with a mtx, so i have all the mounts and all.i need to know if i have to swap any ecu wiring or engine harnesses or if the engine will still operate normally with the trans controller removed. do i have to pull the overdrive on off light out, cuz i was told it will flash.
                Are the atx and mtx half shafts the same on a 94 atx and 93 mtx?
                also i havent removed my atx yet but i a limited amount of , i do have the clutch but most of my drivetrain parts are new and i plan to use those, bad idea?
                is it as simple as pull out a tranny and slap a differnt one in, minus a couple wires, or am i gonna end up putting my atx back in cuz i need to do this swap in a week?

Comment

swapper

i'm sorry -you've probably answered this 100 times already- but can i swap a atx out of my 93 626 with the 2.0 and put in the mtx out of a donor 93 626 or a donor probe and follow yor same directions? your post is outstanding!!
                  forgive me- i'm new.

Comment

Need write up on removing transmission...

Could I use just the removal part of the swap as guidance for removing the automatic transmission, thats all im basicly trying to do for now because its going out (3-4) gears????
                    Black 93 GT, 2.5 L, ATX, No Mods yet ..in process. 160k miles

and my email address is NOT working!

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could I use just the removal part of the swap as guidance for removing the automatic transmission, thats all im basicly trying to do for now because its going out (3-4) gears????

Comment

Originally posted by Chunchoy45
                        Part 1: Taking out Automatic Transmission

Day 1:
                        - Swap parts almost complete. Still need: Clutch, top driver's side tranny mount, Pass. Halfshaft, Axle Seal, Starter.
                        - Tools organized and sorted
                        - Back up onto car ramp (the rear wheels)
                        - Relieve fuel pressure(green fuse in fuse box)
                        - Jack up the front ( so its parallel to the floor with the rear)
                        - Put jack stands on the side supports
                        - Put 2nd set of jack stands behind the ones supporting the car for safety) and also put extra wheels under car for safety
                        - Support motor with engine hoist,jack, or tie bar on top
                        - Took out intake assembly(elbow,iat,filter,hose)
                        - Took out charcoal canister (2 hoses top 1 hose on bottom, 2 bolts for bracket)
                        - Took out cruise control(2 bolts,10mm)
                        - Took out Battery tray(3 10mm bolts) and battery
                        - Fuel filter (2 bolts 10mm)(2 hoses,top and bottom)---replace with new one
                        - Took off wheels both sides
                        - Took off or moved away Driver's side:
                        -Tie Rod (1 17mm bolt with cotter pin inserted{remove pin first,new cotter pin needed later} )
                        - Lower control arm (1 bolt and 1 nut each side, both 17mm)
                        - Axle Nut (32 mm, use impact wrench)
                        - Push out driver's side axle from hub(use hub puller or hammer)
                        - Then remove axle from tranny (use big screw driver or breaker bar to pull out)
                        - Remove the all splash guards
                        - Remove crossmember (17mm, 3 on each side,6 total)
                        - Remove transverse member(17mm 5-6 bolts) and front engine/tranny mount(2 bolts either 14 or 17mm)--- put in rr-racing poly engine mount
                        - Disconnect all wiring harnesses from the top(all electrical is on top)
                        - Disconnect the cable from gear selector on tranny
                        - Take off starter(3 bolts, 14mm, and 2 wires)
                        - Take off bolts that mount tranny to engine(4 on top, 3 on bottom, 17mm)
                        - Drain all atx fluid
                        - Disconnect all atx fluid lines
                        TMRW- take off pass axle and intermediate shaft
                        - rear engine/tranny mount
                        - top driver's side tranny mount
                        - Lower tranny!!!!!

Day 2:
                        -Pass Tie rod( 17mm and pin)
                        -Took off lower control arm (14mm bolt and nut)
                        - Axle Nut(32 mm, use impact wrench)
                        - Remove pass. side axle from hub( use hammer or hub puller. If stuck like me, take the whole hub and axle off car and use drill press at a machine shop,luckily my friend has one at his shop)
                        - 2 bolts(14mm) to take off intermediate shaft(shaft is between the tranny and pass. side axle)
                        - Take off rear engine/tranny mount( 4 bolts 17mm socket plus extensions)
                        - Support engine with jack plus 2x4 onto oil pan
                        - Tranny ready to drop after top driver's side tranny mount
                        - Support Tranny with engine jack or tranny jack
                        - Move everything from under the car
                        - 3 bolts on top driver's tranny mount
                        - Danger!!!make sure tranny is stable and won't tilt(very dangerous and heavy)
                        - Make sure all wire harness and bolts disconnected
                        - Lower 3-4 inches. Check again for harnesses,hoses, and bolts and make sure tranny is stable
                        - Now use a breaker bar and pry the tranny from the engine. The tranny might be laying on top of the torque converter so you'll have to tilt engine a bit to slide the tranny out.
                        -Lower tranny slowly all the way.
                        - Tranny is out!!!! and move the slushbox out from the car
                        - Clean flooor(torque converter oil and tranny oil spills and drips)
                        - Take off torque converter ( 4 bolts 14 mm)
                        - Take off flexplate (8 14mm bolts)
                        - Stopped and analyze the wiring harnesses with the wiring schematics
                        - Also examine tranny swap parts and compare

PART 1 is finished. Next section is installment of the Manual Transmission and other swap parts.
                        Disclamer: I am not responsible for any damages to you and/or your vehicle. This write-up is only intended
                        as general advice. Follow at your own risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

yes .....

Comment

r u just doing the swap or getting the atx fixed

Comment

insanephotoguy is having problems starting the car, it will turn over then die, and we have swapped out wireing harnesses and everything trying to get it to run. anyone have any ideas?
                              Colin - 1994 PGT - TXPOC Moderator

Comment

It does something...

The Park Neutral Position Switch, according to a chart I have from a ford manual, says that it sends info to the Fuel Injection Timing, The A/C cut-off relay, the Low Fan control relay, and the EGR solenoid. Sounds like you might improve gas mileage? I am going to wire it up, for sure, once I figure out where!

Originally posted by SLICKGT1
                                Yea the third switch is the Park Neutral Position Switch. And it seems to do nothing on my car.

Comment

Working...
                                X