Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no cel?

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to track down a stutter around 2000 rpms when the car is warm and under load. It has become worse over the past month. No issue starting or running when cold.

I did the basics already, new spark plugs and wires, cleaned the nipples on the disty cap.

To see if get any symptoms at all when it should be running rich i disconnected the front O2 sensor in an attempt to get the ecu to give it a rich mixture because of a "bad" O2 sensor reading. After driving around for like 30 minutes the CEL never turned on. not sure why. Any ideas?

Thanks

does the CEL turn on when with the Key On Engine Off?

Comment

Yeah its on when the car is in "run" but the engine isnt on.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. OBD 1 cars can be hard to set check engine lights. If you have done plugs and wires you should finish the tune up with a new cap and rotor.

Comment

1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
          1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
          2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
          2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
          1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I drove it on the highway last night and the CEL turned on in 5 minutes. didnt affect the stutter. So im def leaning towards the ignition as the source of the problem.

I have a new disty cap and rotor on order. Hopefully I will get them soon.

Comment

Put them on and still get stutter anywhere between 1500-2500 rpms.

No stutter until it is warmed up. no stutter on the highway, only stutter in city after driving through the city for a bit. No issues starting the car either.

New plugs, wires, rotor, cap. Cant find a vacuum leak to save my life. Triggering the cel from disconnecting the o2 sensors didnt have any affect.

I am wondering would a dying VAF could cause this kind of stutter? How would one test the VAF?

Are there any other ideas about what it could be? The next warm day I will relook for any vacuum leaks.

Comment

Working...
              X