Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 LX 3.0L Oil Leak at the Oil Level Sensor

Hi,

Has anyone had the experience of Oil Leaking from the Oil Level Sensor?

It is happening on my 1990 3.0L LX and is leaking from the wire gasket area. That gasket pushes out and I puch it back and the leak will go away for a while but it always comes back. Any advice on what to do? have you replaced the oil level sensor before? How did you do it? Problems you had doing it? What is the P/N? I know form the manual the base is 6C624. What was the price of the sensor.

James in So. Cal

Guys????

Come on,

I am sure someone has had the same issue

James So Cal

Comment

I don't have the same engine (my '89 LX has the 2.2), and I don't even know what yours looks like or how it attaches- but is the gasket separate from the sensor? If so, you could always take out the sensor and use blue RTV to "make" a new gasket. Or you can even buy rolls of gasket material from auto stores, you'd just use your old gasket as a template and cut yourself a new one using an x-acto blade knife. OR if the gasket is a rubber o-ring, you can buy those too.

If you use blue rtv, you'd have to use some brake cleaner on a rag first to get rid of ALL old traces of oil, otherwise the RTV won't stick. So you would have to take the sensor out...

Comment

sorry bro my vulcan has never leaked a drop!
        Dave Kolenski
        2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 SPORT 4.0L Black/Black
        3.73's, Rancho suspension, Flowmaster exhaust, red pinstripe, bedmat.
        Future: 6 inch lift, 33 BFG's. Windshield visor, diamond plated bedrails.

Comment

So.. It's been 6 years, anyone else come up with a solution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem with my '91. I thought about filling the opening where the wire comes out with RTV, but that probably won't fully plug the leak since I believe it also leaks outside the housing where that wire plugs in. I've also thought of just finding a large stubby bolt and putting that in place of the sensor since the oil pressure gauge is separate (and much more valuable unless you have a bad oil leak). My local Ford tells me they can get a new sensor, but they want ~$115, which is a bit more than I want to spend on a nonessential part for this car..
          '91 LX ATX: stock(ish), barn restoration R.I.P.
          '95 GT MTX: modded intake and exhaust, front strut bar, mirror-tinted rear windows, leather, sun roof. Way too much fun to drive! summer DD/play car
          '99 Subaru Outback Ltd MTX: Stuff hauler, winter DD
          '92 GL MTX SOLD.

Comment

Bolt it up.
            Some people are living life and some people are just living.

Comment

Had trouble finding a 20mm fine-thread bolt and need to get the car back on the road (need to replace cv axle on the PGT) so I threw the sensor back in without putting the wire back on. Next oil change I'll put in a bolt. In case anyone else wondered, the sensor grounds at low oil, so deleting the sensor doesn't require any electrical modifications.
              '91 LX ATX: stock(ish), barn restoration R.I.P.
              '95 GT MTX: modded intake and exhaust, front strut bar, mirror-tinted rear windows, leather, sun roof. Way too much fun to drive! summer DD/play car
              '99 Subaru Outback Ltd MTX: Stuff hauler, winter DD
              '92 GL MTX SOLD.

Comment

Working...
              X