Almost there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost there...

It's been a long haul since 2012 trying to keep getting my '94 SE past E-Check. Idle's been too high for a while, running a bit rich. Last April, I spent $543 on a new stainless exhaust with converter from the GT (high flow on a 2.0L). Then, it spent the last 2.5 months at Mike Bass Ford trying to solve high idle & EGR problems. This after replacing the EGR valve, TPS & VSS in 2012. The thing has like 2-3 EGR valves/sensors/whatever. Passed the other day on everything but NOX! Damn. So now it's at Great Lakes Automotive (local E-Check repair station) Trying to get that solved. At least it revs & drives nice. So far, all total, I think I've spent around 2K on it. Just had to vent. I've been driving on an expired 2nd 30-day tag to get it fixed, checked, etc. Just letting y'all know what you're in for when these things need replacing to pass this dumb test. And all because of a 3 day temp inversion...
    **OOPS...just noticed I posted in the wrong forum. It's been so long since I started this resto drivetrain stuff a couple years ago, I didn't notice. My bad, y'all.
    Last edited by unionrdr; July 11, 2014, 08:48 AM.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

moved it for you. I assume you meant for it to be in the 2.0L performance
    1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
    2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
    2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Yup. Thanks! This resto stuff can really get expensive. Thank God for escrow refunds! She'll be running better than ever pretty soon. Then I'll start on finishing the FBC & making some new brackets for the RBC. Been a hard winter up here.
      Last edited by unionrdr; July 11, 2014, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unionrdr View Post
        Yup. Thanks! This resto stuff can really get expensive. Thank God for escrow refunds! She'll be running better than ever pretty soon. Then I'll start on finishing the FBC & making some new brackets for the RBC. Been a hard winter up here.
        Glad to see your still at it. As much as I don't love MA its nice not having to run emissions here
        95 GT Chameleon Beauty
        http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps15cc5293.jpg

"Without Risk There Is No Reward"

Comment

Well, hell. Ford doesn't make the EGR vacuum & vent solenoid bundle anymore. I found a bunch online at best-price.com, but I don't know what this "bundle" looks like. By my VIN #, the part number is; F32Z*9D474*B. If somebody can hook me up or show me a pic of it, maybe I can cross reference another vehicle with the same engine?
          ** Found a pic on here. I found a few places that have'em for the GT, but not for the 4 cyl SE. I hate to start searching junk yards. How many would I end up buying till I get one that works?
          Last edited by unionrdr; July 12, 2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

**PSSTDBS- I just got to do some "forced research" at Mike Bass Ford since my son's Mustang GT popped a LF ball joint pulling into the Giant Eagle plaza near MBF. So, anyway, I found out EGR Solenoid bundle (Elec controlled vacuum modulated vent solenoid) part # F32Z*9D474*B was originally listed as the same part number for 93-94 Probe, both SE & GT! But the problem comes in With the part & thus the # being retired in fall of 2008. So nobody can cross-reference the part numbers anymore. 95-97 used another part number he showed me. So I basically need the original part number that was used on both vehicles. I'l post whatever & wherever they may be cross-referenced/located. Unless some of you have info or wanna help out. I'm sure many of us need this info.
            !*!- I went to this link & found it! it's from the Mazda 626 sedan, both 4 & 6 cylinder models, 93-97- http://www.partsgeek.com/2cvjbm5-maz...acuum+Solenoid Which looks just like mine from this pic another member posted in 2010-
            http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa93cf7d1.jpg
            Now, on the best-price.com site-http://www.best-price.com/search/lan...996302/page/2/, page 2, go down to row 8, column 2. It shows the exact one in the picture that you can enlarge as shown on this site that I also have when you click on it to goto the particular page. Note that it's used on both the 2.0L I4 & the 2.5L V6. Just as Ford lists for 93-94 part # F32Z*9D474*B for both vehicles. Clicking on the pic on best-price.com links you to partsgeek.com to view the actual seller's page. As you can see from the member's pic & the enlarged seller's pic, the parts are identical to the original 2nd gen service part where both models shared the same part number according to Ford service parts list. I ordered it just now, 3-7 business days till I get it to take to the E-Check repair place that has my car. Whew! I've been digging since about 3PM yesterday. I hope this helps others of you out there that're at the point I am with your restorations!...
            Last edited by unionrdr; July 12, 2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

As a result of what I've done to it thus far, the EGR solenoid pack (brand new) only lowered NOX from some 1858 to 1826 PPM. I guess there must be some carbon inside the engine? The E-Check station gave me a waiver so I could finally get my plates. She runs quite good & even revs with a little better. Seems like throttle cable is still a little sticky though, but not much. I'm just glad to be driving her again the way she used to run!

Comment

Trying to use half a can of Seafoam to half a tank of gas to clean the fuel system &, more importantly, the combustion chambers. Carbon deposits in the combustion chambers can raise NOX emissions to fail levels. Many of you may not concern yourselves with this, but you should if you have E-Check! Fail one of the gas emissions tests & you fail period. This means the system is dirty or one of the valves/vacuum-electric solenoid valves is shot. And don't kid yourselves, this stuff is seriously very rare to find now, let alone new like I did. And without them, you fail & get no plates if they don't give you a waiver for spending more than $300 to repair. I'm up to about $1,500 so far...

Comment

I'm just going to register as a classic rod next year and disconnect my speedo cable No emissions for me anymore.

Comment

We don't have that option here. you still have to pass E-Check for certain years. Some of this shit is seriously rare, so don't kid yourself. The car WILL NOT run right without them functioning. I learned this the hard way. Learn from me...

Comment

You should use seafoam in the brake booster line under high revs like 3,000 rpm after the car has been driven hard and the cat is hot enough to burn.

Let the car SIP SIP SIP just drops of seafoam at at time, don't over do it in the brake vacuum hose. Let the car sit after about half a can or more. (turn it off)!

Turn it back on, drive the piss out of it till it stops smoking. Then see what your hydrocarbons are at . I have DEQ (emissions Oregon) paperwork proving that it works.
                      I've Been Probed.

Comment

Thanks. Forgot which line it was. Definitely need to clean'er out!

Comment

Gotta love it here in Florida, home of no emissions and "street legal" 2000whp twin-turbo Lamborghinis.
                          PhotoPOC(tm)
                          MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                          93' PGT not stock
                          91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

Yeah, I'd love to move to a state where there's no E-Check & I can brew plenty of craft beers!

Comment

Craft brews!!! Now you're talking my language.. Beer and cars are some of my favorite things.. Separately of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X