Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your tranny(spindle thing) is still in the torque converter or the tranny itself maybe sittingon top of the torqueconverter. Try tilting the engine to the driver's side by lowering it. Get a crow bar, and try to tap/pry the tranny out. It should come out after that.

2002 audi a4 quattro- snowmobile!
    1996 Mazda Mx-6 M-edition- New Toy!
    1988 mx6 gt-Looking for a replacement engine
    1991 Mazda miata

Comment

Well, it's already tilted to the driver's side of the car. how exactly doest the flexplate/torqur converter attach to the motor? Is it a splined shaft that connects the crank to the tranny? Or does the Flexplate/TC bolt up tight to the motor?

By taking all the tranny to motor bolts off, the tranny should be able to just "slide right off"?

It's not working for me...
      1999 Nissan Maxima

SHIFT_this

Comment

The flexplate is bolted to the crankshaft. The torque converter is bolted onto the flexplate. The spindle thing is on the auto tranny and inserts itself into the torque converter. You have to stick a pry bar and nudge the tranny out(usually gets stuck on the bottom. Just keep trying, top and then bottom.

It shouldn't slide off if you took off the bolts, you just need to give it a harder "nudge".

1991 Mazda miata

Comment

Or just unbolt the 4 12mm (pretty sure they were 12mm) bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate, and remove the TC with the tranny.... :d a r i n:
          '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
          '16 Chrysler 300S

Comment

actually they're 14mm. No biggie though, its been a week so he probably got the tranny out by now.

1991 Mazda miata

Comment

ATX to MTX

If I wanted to take my MTX out of my car and swap from ATX to MTX, would I have to go get anything, or would all the parts needed be right out of my MTX.

Comment

ATX-MTX

I want to do this sooooooo bad.. i dont have to donor car next to mines though, guy at the junk yard told me he will let me take all the parts off a probe to do it for $250...... im dont know about trannies that much but i need to do it sence i dont have a 3rd gear in my car anymore... and alot of slipage help me my car is a 89 mx6 lx

Comment

problems with my swap

i kinda ran into a wall with this swap, im hearing a few different things about year specific parts. is the ecu on a 97 gts the same on both the atx and mtx? and which years is the intermediate shaft on the 97 compatible?
                  97 GTS - Gone Wonder what it looks like now...
                  98 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

BTW anyone in the toledo (ohio/michigan) area interested in performing a tranny swap???
                    97 GTS - Gone Wonder what it looks like now...
                    98 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Re: problems with my swap

Originally posted by VinnieMacPGT
                      i kinda ran into a wall with this swap, im hearing a few different things about year specific parts. is the ecu on a 97 gts the same on both the atx and mtx? and which years is the intermediate shaft on the 97 compatible?
                      My 94 is a 2 hole, as the ECU, I dont know as it has different emmision operating systems so they were in thier screwing around, to my knowledge the ECU from ATX to MTX will work in my year, not sure on yours

Comment

Thanks to mx6/xj from mx6.com:

1991 Mazda miata

Comment

Those interested in the 2.0 swap, mx6phan has an excellent write up in the projects forum on mx6.com. Link is here:

http://www.mx6.com/boardnew/showthre...threadid=56811

1991 Mazda miata

Comment

Hey I was just wondering does all of this post on the swap apply to the mazda 1989 gt ATX to MTX swap...I am about a week from diving in and this appears to be a big help if things are the same for the most part
                            -{godsquad}-
                            No longer a six owner, but I still visit.
                            founding member or MWC

Comment

Word. Thanks guys!! This will emable me to finish the swap in my garage tonight.
                              Greg Martin
                              2009 BMW 328i
                              2017 BMW X3
                              1990 Probe LX

Comment

Originally posted by Bufalo
                                Word. Thanks guys!! This will emable me to finish the swap in my garage tonight.
                                Man, I love the swap, glad to hear that you will get it done tonight, it feels like an extra 10-15hp with lossing the slushbox and the weight savings

Comment

Working...
                                X